NurseKim

Extreme Abdominal Pain

4 posts in this topic

Hi!  After just taking a quick glance, it appears that I am an "old timer" here.  My gastric bypass (IMHO) was never a complete win.  My lowest weight was 184. 

A couple of years ago I started having extreme right lower abdominal pain on occasion.  At times severe enough that I was unable to remain at work, and had to be taken out by wheelchair for my Dad to come rush me to the ER.  Although the issue is not frequent, the frequency is increasing.  Most recently, less than two episodes in one month.  It saddens me to see that others are also having this issue, but at the same time....it is a bit of a relief.  I have recently gone through all the diagnostics to rule out gallbladder issues, as well as appendicitis.  When I experience an episode my right lower abdominal area is VERY "tender to touch"!!!

Two and a half years ago I had a "Partial" related to two huge fibro tumors.  Currently, I have an appointment with a GI doctor (in a few weeks).  I AM very concerned that I do have a blockage.  The crazy part is...I can eat one meal a day.  Yet, I am steadily gaining.  I am hopeful that the GI doctor can resolve this issue.

Posted (edited)

Good luck with the GI doctor NurseKim, I hope they can resolve your issues. Abdominal pain, especially when intermittent, can be a very real problem to diagnose. I'm sure you've been told this many times before. My original surgery was 31 years ago. The last two years have bought more than there fair share of abdominal pain that at times can be crippling. My surgeon seems to think that some part of  my bowel is twisting but inconveniently seems to untwist itself whenever they run any tests. Twisting bowels are a quite common post surgical complication and can happen at anytime according to him. I found that my own diet does seem to hold certain answers to when the pain is at its worst, so for now I can almost completely control the pain by paying attention to what I've eaten when it happens and eliminating those foods for now. Mind you there isn't much left that doesn't seem to irritate it and the pain can happen when I haven't eaten any solids at all.  I'm due for revisional surgery in 6 weeks which I'm told will fix some of the issues tests have shown are definitely there, but the surgeon is still not optimistic that the abdominal pain will be resolved....im certainly hoping it will be though.

Hang in there! Hopefully the GI will find a solution for you. In the meantime it might be worthwhile to journal your foods along with your pain severity and see if you can come up with any commonality between foods and your pain attacks.

Edit to Add: by partial are you talking partial hysterectomy? I had a TAH just over two years ago myself, although my abdominal issues had already started by then. My surgeon was able to show me via my CT scan a spot where the bowel is definitely adhered which he puts down to that surgery. He tells me there are likely to be many more as a result, it was just that he could tell the one he showed my by analysing the bowel position changes as he flipped through the CT slices.

Edited by Aussie H

Yes,  partial hysterectomy.  For the most part, I am living off fruit smoothies.  I've learned the hard way that solid foods bring about issues!

3 hours ago, NurseKim said:

Yes,  partial hysterectomy.  For the most part, I am living off fruit smoothies.  I've learned the hard way that solid foods bring about issues!

Same here! Two meal replacements shakes a day. I can manage chicken thigh (breastbone meat is too dry) as well as few other lighter meat choices. Pretty much every veggie is off the menu, except potato and that is too carb heavy for me to eat.