My Bariatric Life

What piece of advice would you give to your younger self about weight or bariatric surgery?

9 posts in this topic

If you could site on this bench with your younger self and give one piece of advice about weight or bariatric surgery, what would it be?

If I could sit with my 16 year old self, I would tell her that there was going to come a time when her anorexic eating would no longer work. Her hunger would come back full force and she would not be able to control it. I would tell her that eventually she will resort to bulimia and her life would become out of control in ways that she could not even now imagine. I would describe to her the hell on earth that it would become, so that she understood the gravity of her situation. Then I would tell her that it is critical she tell her parents to get her really good professional help for her eating disorder right away.

advice to your younger self.jpg

allgreen112 likes this

I would tell myself to quit panicking and drop the sugar. If I had droppedthe sugar, I might have been able to avoid the surgery.  I panicked about my weight from early teens through surgery because everyone in my family was struggling with the same thing. I should have taught myself what I taught my daughter: Only eat when hungry and always eat when hungry. She has no weight problem because she has high metabolism, but also because she treats food as fuel. It took me a lot longer to get there.

Aussie H and Cheesehead like this

I would tell myself that eating food for comfort (such as eating ice cream when sad, or pizza when lonely) was totally counterproductive and unhealthy, and that instead food should be viewed primarily as fuel. 

Cheesehead and allgreen112 like this

1) Try everything to never get fat in the first place!

2) If you get fat anyway get WLS sooner!

3) If you'll ever need revision - get it sooner!

allgreen112 likes this

if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself & saved more money, but it was fun at the time!

Aussie H and allgreen112 like this

21 hours ago, Bigfuzzy said:

if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself & saved more money, but it was fun at the time!

Ah yes, if only we would know if we would live to an older age. I doubt that I will make it into my seventies and yet just in case I save a bit of money monthly for retirement in a little private insurance.

I would tell her "make a point to stay fit/active and do not look for approval from anyone but yourself."  Oh yeah, "denial is deadly." 

bellamoma and GAviv like this

Start seeing a therapist.

If I had learned earlier on a better way to deal with emotions besides with food and alcohol I would have never gotten fat in the first place.

I would tell myself to not be afraid that you will not to be able to eat normally after surgery....I did not realize that I never ate normally in the first place and that after surgery would have been a whole different life anyway..

Aussie H likes this