Lynne1963

Low BMI before surgery

12 posts in this topic

I finally got my surgery date. I was fine before I knew my surgery date now everyone is saying I'm going to look sick and skinny because I'm not that big.  I'm now paranoid and about to change my mind because I don't want people to see me as sick looking.

Although I started my journey with a BMI of 43.2, I lost a lost of weight between being accepted on the programme and my RNY surgery.  On that day, I had a BMI of 37.4.

People will be people and some feel free to give their opinion when it is neither justified nor wanted.  You just have to keep your face to the sun and smile through it.

LeeC, Kesha, Jabsie and 1 other like this

Thanks cinwa for your input.  My BMI is only 36.7 my surgery is April 17 

Alexa21 likes this

That shouldn't be a problem Lynne and your surgeon wouldn't be operating on you if he didn't think you'd be fine.

Jabsie, Alexa21 and bellamoma like this

Posted (edited)

I got a lot of this when I was going for my pre-op stuff. I got it from strangers- the radiology tech who was doing my pre-op chest x ray, my endoscopy nurse, patients in the waiting room with me asking me if i was post op, even one of the bariatric nurse practitioners thought i was a year out the first time she saw me (i was only 4 weeks out at that point).  I didn't tell most of my family about my surgery because of this as well. I just didn't want to hear it. period.  

We are getting so used to the larger form as "normal" that when we see someone who is of normal weight, we can say things like "you look sick" or whatever.  You need to understand and know that being overweight at all, even 10 lb, poses a risk to your health.  Losing just 10lb can make the difference between having high blood pressure or not. Be confident in your decision to become a healthier person. You have qualified for the surgery.  a surgeon, who i promise you- doesn't want to get sued, has agreed that you are a candidate. Know that and put your blinders on. It doesn't matter what others may say. You're doing the right thing for you, and that's all that matters.  Lots of luck, I'm rooting for you!

Edited by bellamoma
CZJ, Lynne1963, LeeC and 2 others like this

13 hours ago, Lynne1963 said:

Thanks cinwa for your input.  My BMI is only 36.7 my surgery is April 17 

I'm heading into surgery 24 April with an even lower BMI currently 32, and I still have to do a 4 week meal replacement diet. Don't let your lower BMI make you second guess your decision. As others have said, your doctor wouldn't be doing it if the risks outweighed the advantages to your health. With the average person now being overweight or obese, it's not unusual for people to see those with normal range BMIS as "too skinny". For many we no longer know what "normal" or "healthy" weight looks like.

bellamoma likes this

I think many of us got the "you don't look that big".  How big does 240 pounds look?!  People are worried about you.  Your body will likely find a point where it comfortable with the weight loss and just find the sweet spot and work on maintaining.  I got the you look too skinny for a while until my family adjusted to seeing a thinner me.. 

you will do fine..good luck.  

Alexa21, bellamoma and Kesha like this

I'm also 5'6" and my highest weight was 254. I first saw my surgeon at 237 and was 225 the day of surgery.  In May I will be two years out from surgery and have weighed 124 for over a year.  I was fat at 225 and now I'm not.  

I feel like some people are genuinely concerned, some are ignorant about what the surgery entails, and others think you will never be able to eat anything again.  Then I believe there are people who are insecure and don't want you to be thinner or look better.  Depending on the relationship people can be concerned you will leave them or not interact the same when you lose weight.  I also think there are people who have ulterior motives for wanting you to stay fat.  

Whatever opinions others have yours is really the only one that matters.  Do what's best for you.  Do not have this surgery unless you're ready and know it's right for you.  

bellamoma, Kesha, athenarose and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

Oh boy..... The ol "you're  not even that big" I got that ALOT. I guess 283 isn't that big?? What is? 284, 300, 500, 650?? Because that's where we were all heading to.

Edited by Amber76bailey

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Amber76bailey said:

Oh boy..... The ol "you're  not even that big" I got that ALOT. I guess 283 isn't that big?? What is? 284, 300, 500, 650?? Because that's where we were all heading to.

I pretty much got this from the person from the hospital that phoned to book my surgery. Told her that if she bothered to look at the paperwork she'd see that the surgery was a repair. That shut her up. Mind you I got a call a week later to reschedule at surgeon's insistence. I suspect she didn't allow the extra time that a revision takes compared to a first time surgery.

Edited by Aussie H

On March 17, 2017 at 3:35 PM, Amber76bailey said:

yaaaaaaaas.  YAS.  this.  

my 600lb life indeed. 

I was about your size, I wore a size 18. I carried it well. I was strong. I worked out. I ate healthy foods. People told me they didn't think of me as fat. I still carried almost 100 pounds too much. I wear a size 4. I am strong. i work out. I eat healthy food. People tell me they can't believe I was ever heavy. 

bellamoma and Isaare like this