Bigfuzzy

air fryer

do any of you cook with 1?

what kind? do you like it?

Various members of my family are totally into air frying these days. Personally I don't see the point. They all comment that they get good chips etc from the air fryer, but that meat doesn't sear and is only really nice if crumbed. They still also have to spray most things with oil except for oven-fry frozen foods which have already been doused in it prior to packaging. I was tempted when I saw them 50% off this week. However, having just been given my surgery date I figured what's the point if the only food that turns out really nice is so high carb. I have a bench top turbo oven that does great roasts, cakes etc, and don't want the temptation of eating high carb fries. Nor do I need yet another appliance cluttering up my kitchen. I'd much rather cook my meat in a frying which doesn't require any added oil anyway.

I guess the one thing they really have going for them though is that it easy to just stick a few croquettes or a couple of pieces of crumbed chicken in them, set and forget. I don't need to eat that kind of food though anymore, and if I did I might as well just go to a takeaway and order a very small serve. It's less accessible to me that way and I would have to make a more conscious decision to go out and get it. I doubt I'd ever think it was worth the effort to go out for it.

point, you can get crispy foods without frying in oil. high carb, depends on what you start with.

spraying with oil, was told to use olive oil which is good for you.

you can cook things like vegie tots & cauliflower tots & get them crispy is what I have been told & read.

you still have to watch what you cook & eat from them.

I don't eat breaded chicken or fish.

I love my Air Fryer. Especially when cooking fish fillets that aren't uniform sized. It's easier to control the heat so the thin parts aren't overcooked before the thicker parts are cooked enough. 

Sweet potato fries, with no oil sprayed on them, I'm learning to like. I have never likes sweet potatoes. 

9 hours ago, Fatty20N said:

I love my Air Fryer. Especially when cooking fish fillets that aren't uniform sized. It's easier to control the heat so the thin parts aren't overcooked before the thicker parts are cooked enough. 

Sweet potato fries, with no oil sprayed on them, I'm learning to like. I have never likes sweet potatoes. 

how do you cook your fish & what kind?

I have an air fryer on the way, I thought it would be better & can make smaller batches easier

I usually cook Mahi or Cod, those seem to be my favorite. I take some low cal margarine, heat it up, and then mix in some old bay seasoning. Drizzle over fillets, and let extra run off. Just want a thin coat.  Cook on fish setting, and turn time down 2 minutes lower than factory setting. Check then add 2 mins when needed. 

Thanks