MindyMamaBear

Hi All! 2 weeks post op and not losing yet ☹

15 posts in this topic

Started soft foods a few days ago. 2 week post op visit good but I have only lost 1 lb!!

I know I am on the lower end of the starting weight spectrum (Highest 291 lbs, BMI 41,  257 when 2 week liquid pre-surgery diet began,  249 on surgery day.

One lb just seems terrible to me. Dr. wasn't concerned but should I eat even less than 1000 calories a day? Anyone else have a slow start?

Congrats to all of you brave enough to take control back through WLS.  Anyone who says we are taking the easy road is out of their pea-sized minds!  

Welcome! Your day of surgery weight is pretty close to what mine was. I would say, at this point, don't even worry about calories, just focus on trying to reach your daily fluid and protein numbers. Even though I know the slow start is discouraging, really just try to keep your eye on the long term. And, fwiw, I wouldn't drop my calories lower if I were you. I wasn't even counting calories at two weeks out (actually, I don't even count them now, but that's just me). Once you're consistently hitting your protein & fluid goals, then you can turn your attention to calories if need be. For now, just give it time and let your body heal before you start trying to tweak things too much. That's just my thoughts, for what they're worth. :)

bellamoma likes this

Relax. Stick with the post op diet.  You will lose weight, lots and lots and lots of weight, over the next few months. Some people just have slower starts than other people.  

1000 calories does seem high.  What are you eating or drinking at this point?  How are the carbs?  

First, welcome to Thinner Times!

We don't lose weight at a constant rate.  If you were to put it on a graph, it'd likely end up looking like a set of stairs.

Posted (edited)

I started with a BMI of 40 and By a lot of people's standards you could say I was a slow loser.  I don't own a scale so never weighed all that often, but here are my early stats.....

day 11 - 0 pounds lost

week 6 - 17 pounds lost

week 7 - up 3 pounds

week 10 - weighed the same as week 6

week 12 - lost 8 pounds for a total of 25 pounds down in the first 3 months postop.

i see a lot of people that lose those 20-25 pounds in the first month alone (and complain about it).  I, however, was thrilled with my progress, eventually lost over 100% of my excess weight and have kept it off.  You have your bypass for the rest of your life and The first few months are by no means an indication of your long term success  I never counted calories, just protein (80+ grams) and water (100+ ounces), but if tracking and measuring helps you stay compliant and get to your goal then by all means, do it!

Edited by ThinCVT
athenarose, LisaAPD and bellamoma like this

stepping on the scale and not seeing what you hoped for is a total buzzkill. BUT, i promise!!!!! you're going to lose! so long as you follow the plan, you will lose. hang in there!

Res Ipsa and athenarose like this

I had surgery about 2.5 weeks ago; I'm not sure how I'm doing on the nutritional totals although I'm following the pureed restrictions. One of my nutritionists said the average is 30 pounds in the first three months so I'm a little over that amount. Good luck - it is definitely NOT the easy way out.

Posted (edited)

Your weight sound like me, liquid diet start I was 257.  Surgery day 245.

My 2 week post op appt I lost 10 pounds, I was excited.  My 4 week post op I gained 3 pounds!  I was so angry,  I stopped stepping on the scale.   My 6 week post op is this friday, hoping another loss.  Pay attention to non scale victories.  My clothes are looser and people are noticing me!   Keep at it,  stick to it.  I know it's discouraging.  I've been there and still am.  

Edited by LizZak

Please let me know how it goes for you. I am really having a  tough time getting even half of the 100 oz of water in per day. Plus chewing food til its basically liquid is a hard habit to learn for me, so I am usually either hungry or tender from trying to eat.  My clothes are not feeling looser  and i am trying to get used to needing the bathroom fairly often as opposed to once a day pre-surgery.

I am trying to stay optimistic but feeling really discouraged right now.  It is so much harder and miserable than I expected. I expected to feel better after mutilating myself with this surgery.  So far I have nothing positive to keep me motivated.

I really hope your next check in goes great . Thank you for sharing your story with me. It helps 

44 minutes ago, MindyMamaBear said:

Please let me know how it goes for you. I am really having a  tough time getting even half of the 100 oz of water in per day. Plus chewing food til its basically liquid is a hard habit to learn for me, so I am usually either hungry or tender from trying to eat.  My clothes are not feeling looser  and i am trying to get used to needing the bathroom fairly often as opposed to once a day pre-surgery.

I am trying to stay optimistic but feeling really discouraged right now.  It is so much harder and miserable than I expected. I expected to feel better after mutilating myself with this surgery.  So far I have nothing positive to keep me motivated.

I really hope your next check in goes great . Thank you for sharing your story with me. It helps 

Oh sweetie! I'm nearly 13 months post-op and I still have trouble getting 64 oz of water in each day. 100 oz isn't happening for me. Give yourself grace. You're still healing and, frankly, my personal experience is that the first month or so post-op is particularly hard. When I was where you're at (and, in all honesty, at least for the first few months, if not the first six months), every time I ate, I would be in discomfort. Right after I ate, I would be uncomfortable because my pouch was full (and I had only taken a few bites!), then once the food starting digesting, I would be uncomfortable from the digestion process. I remember saying, "Jeez, I wonder if people lose weight from this because eating is such a miserable experience, they just stop." Plus, I was exhausted. Like dead tired for the first two months or so. I know it's slow going now, but it will get better. Promise. All the hard stuff you're dealing with and feeling right now won't be there forever. 

Waisting, MindyMamaBear and LizZak like this

6 hours ago, MindyMamaBear said:

My water intake sucks.  Before surgery no problem.  Post surgery not so great.   Every day I try to get a little more in.  I was only getting 20oz of water a day.  Just this week i hit 40oz.  Too much I get nauseated..  haven't figured out what works best for me yet and I'm almost 6 weeks.   The whole process is frustrating.  I encourage you to read some posts.  That helps me.  Every one is different.  Loss will be different.  I often lose hope, but I know in the end, I have to keep going and I will be successful! 

I'm right there with you - I knew it was going to happen, but I think I hit a stall. I know it gets better. I'm trying not to be negative about the aching back, itchy sore incisions and the fact that nothing tastes really good! I was up to around 3 bottles of water on a good day;  I choked down one today. The Crystal light that I liked before is still the best, but it just doesn't taste good. I'm feeling like I'm falling asleep at work because I'm so uncomfortable at night; I finally got snappish at my husband when he said I had a sour look on my face (I went off on him as I can't find a good alternative for over the counter pain killers. You don't realize how easy it was pre-surgery to pop some advil or motrin ... anything. I got dumping from Children's Tylenol (sugar), I thought my eyes would fall out or I would throw up from the taste of melts, and crushing pills helped me go off pudding!) I think I'll just start singing tomorrow, tomorrow. ;) I am happy that my mom took such good care of me, and my husband has been supportive (although I do want to poke him in the eye for ignoring my concerns about flappy skin hanging down to my knees, only to be concerned now that it looks like it's sagging).

I am still on the path, but the biggest things I know are to just follow the plan from my nutritionist and surgeon and listen to my body. I also take a walk after every meal. It helps me to digest the food and has the added benefit of burning a small amount of calories. I started with five minutes three times a day a week after surgery and am now up to 10,000 steps a day overall. It didn't happen fast, but it helps me feel like I am taking action towards my long-term health.

Most importantly, love yourself. You've got this!

On 3/14/2017 at 11:38 AM, MindyMamaBear said:

Hey MindyMamaBear, I had my 6 week post op.  They look at % lost.  I feel like I'm not losing enough, but at 6 weeks I'm 17%   I am supposed to be 18 to 20%   so a little behind.  My 2 week I was ahead.  So i guess I caught up with myself.   How are you doing?