Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xfrustin

Sleeve date 3/30/2017

3 posts in this topic

I finally have my surgery date for 3/30/17!!!!!!!!! I am getting the Gastric Sleeve and I am actually excited to get it done. I was leaning towards the Gastric Bypass but I found out I was anemic so it automatically disqualifies me for the gastric bypass. My surgeon then said that the gastric sleeve was the better option for me. Has anyone else has had this problem or similar to it? It would be awesome to get advice of how to have a speedy, manageable recovery, protein shakes..etc. Just in general . :) Thank you .

Congrats on the surgery date!!

I had my VSG surgery 1 year ago today and it has been the best thing that ever happened to me. I was lucky and had a very easy recovery, but I also think that the changes I made played a major part in my smooth recovery. My advice is to start slow/ don't push yourself right away. I read a lot of people talking about trying to make sure they get enough protein right off the bat, but honestly in the beginning, I focused on just getting a bit of water/ broth and letting my new stomach ease into things. I really babied my new stomach along for the first few weeks and focused on water intake so that I didn't get dehydrated and sipped at protein drinks for energy.  Make sure you get up and move around, the day after my surgery I was out for short walks and back to light duty work after a week (mostly computer stuff, but I was not sitting at home). Once you feel ready slowly introduce new soft foods one at a time like a baby, that way you can see how your body reacts to each food and will let you know how much you can handle. High protein foods like eggs, chicken, ect... sit hard and it scares a lot of people the first few times, but just remember if you keep at it, it will get easier. Most import for me has been changing the eating habits I had before and sticking with them!!

Good luck!!

xfrustin likes this

2 hours ago, frozennorth said:

Congrats on the surgery date!!

I had my VSG surgery 1 year ago today and it has been the best thing that ever happened to me. I was lucky and had a very easy recovery, but I also think that the changes I made played a major part in my smooth recovery. My advice is to start slow/ don't push yourself right away. I read a lot of people talking about trying to make sure they get enough protein right off the bat, but honestly in the beginning, I focused on just getting a bit of water/ broth and letting my new stomach ease into things. I really babied my new stomach along for the first few weeks and focused on water intake so that I didn't get dehydrated and sipped at protein drinks for energy.  Make sure you get up and move around, the day after my surgery I was out for short walks and back to light duty work after a week (mostly computer stuff, but I was not sitting at home). Once you feel ready slowly introduce new soft foods one at a time like a baby, that way you can see how your body reacts to each food and will let you know how much you can handle. High protein foods like eggs, chicken, ect... sit hard and it scares a lot of people the first few times, but just remember if you keep at it, it will get easier. Most import for me has been changing the eating habits I had before and sticking with them!!

Good luck!!

Thank You so much!!!!! Wonderful advice!!!!! Congrats on your proggresss!!!! And happy Surgversary! :)