kileyhilyer

Controlling eating

8 posts in this topic

I am one year and two months post op.  I still do not physically feel hunger, however the head hunger is strong.  I have a difficult time controlling the urge to eat ALL.THE.TIME.  I try to make sure that when I do eat, it's healthy food.  But, I am nervous that the amount of food and the urge I feel will/is triggering my over eating habits.  My weight loss is going well and sometimes I wonder if I eat enough in a meal.  Sometimes I wonder that because of the strong urge I feel to eat and because lately when I stand up quickly I get tunnel vision and light headed.  I'm trying to not snack but that is where I struggle the most.  For the most part, my diet is low carb, lean meat, lots of veggies and just berries for fruit.  Full disclosure, I struggle with my water intake.  I do get all my fluids but most of the time it isn't water.  I take all my vitamins plus a couple extra.  I am active and do both Vinyasa flow yoga and aerial yoga.  Any helpful (and realistic) suggestions are much appreciated.   

I am 14 months out also (12-28-15) and I am starting with a therapist tomorrow. I think my hunger & eating problems  are somewhat like yours.

I understand the urge to eat all the time, if you find a fix let me know. the only help I have found so far is to stay busy outside the house. I have

no problem getting in plenty of fluids. I usually only drink coffee & flavored water. I use the sugar free flavorings for water, mix it 1/2 gallon at a

time & put in bottles or the stainless cups.

Regarding the tunnel vision and lightheadedness, it would be worth getting your PCP to check you out.  You could just need to up your fluids.

Stephtay likes this

On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 6:05 AM, Bigfuzzy said:

I am 14 months out also (12-28-15) and I am starting with a therapist tomorrow. I think my hunger & eating problems  are somewhat like yours.

I understand the urge to eat all the time, if you find a fix let me know. the only help I have found so far is to stay busy outside the house. I have

no problem getting in plenty of fluids. I usually only drink coffee & flavored water. I use the sugar free flavorings for water, mix it 1/2 gallon at a

time & put in bottles or the stainless cups.

I went to therapy for three years.  She told me to pay attention to what is going on and what I am feeling when I feel the urge to eat.  However, when I feel the urge, I honestly feel the same as I always do.  I'm not necessarily anymore happy/sad/angry/anxious than I normally am.  I understand why I gained weight in the first place, I just don't know what it is that triggers me other than I just like it.  I have found that if I distract myself, it helps.  I live in upstate New York and it is currently very cold.  I'm hoping when the weather warms up a bit I can be more active outdoors and that will both keep me busy and add more exercise.  You should try yoga too.  The breathing techniques that she taught me help my anxiety big time.  I also take Vinyasa flow yoga which is more aerobic than other types of yoga.  Aerial yoga is a good work out too.  In the meantime, if I do eat a snack (my doctor says one is ok, but not to do more than that.  I still do sometimes) I try to make sure it's something like berries, mini pretzels, etc..  Let me know if you have any other tips!

Thanks!!

I agree with Cinwa - you might not be getting enough fluids. 

Head hunger and how to manage it is a big one for most of us. I love to eat. Always have and probably always will. I do my best to stick to my eating plan and have lots of other things to do when I am bored, tired, happy, sad, or whatever makes me think about food. Mini pretzels are all carbs so I would be careful snacking on those. There are lots of high protein things to snack on that might be a better option for you. 

bellamoma likes this

2 hours ago, Stephtay said:

I agree with Cinwa - you might not be getting enough fluids. 

Head hunger and how to manage it is a big one for most of us. I love to eat. Always have and probably always will. I do my best to stick to my eating plan and have lots of other things to do when I am bored, tired, happy, sad, or whatever makes me think about food. Mini pretzels are all carbs so I would be careful snacking on those. There are lots of high protein things to snack on that might be a better option for you. 

You're right, I probably do need a lot more fluids.  I've never been good about drinking fluids in general.  I eat mini pretzels when I am exercising or when it's very hot and I will be outside for a while.  I went to a concert in the summer and passed out.  They told me that when I feel faint, to eat something with a little salt to it to help.  It works for me, but you're right it does have a lot of carbs so I generally will only eat them when I'm working out.  I will definitely stock up on the protein snacks; I don't know why I didn't think of it before!  Thanks for your suggestions!

I agree with the others that you should push fluids.  I find that when I am short on fluids my head hunger tends to get worse.  Being light headed is often a sign of dehydration or can be a side effect of some medications.

Stephtay likes this

head hunger is a struggle for me too. i'm about the same amount out as you are, and lately i have been struggling with it.  i agree you should really up your fluids, and have some salted almonds instead of the pretzels. or a cheese stick, plenty of salt in that as well. i'm in the same boat with the head hunger struggle. hugs.  

Stephtay likes this