John

What are your favorite March recipes?

Spring is nearly upon us, and it's National Nutrition Month! What are some of your favorite recipes?

Baked Salmon (works with other fish too).   Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

2 (6 oz) fillets salmon (works well with other fish - halibut, haddock, tilapia, snapper etc.

6 tablespoons light olive oil (I use a little less), 2 cloves garlic, minced, 1 teaspoon dried basil, 1 tsp each salt and ground black pepper, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped (occasionally, I use dried parsley, made the marinade the day before and stored it in the fridge). 

Directions
In a medium glass bowl, prepare marinade by mixing garlic, light olive oil, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley.  Place salmon fillets in a medium glass baking dish, and cover with the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator about 1 hour, turning occasionally.

Place fillets in aluminum foil, cover with marinade, and seal. Place sealed salmon in the glass dish, and bake 35 to 45 minutes, until easily flaked with a fork.

I generally only eat 3 oz but salmon is good cold.

I trolled Pinterest and found this awesome "Pizza Chicken" recipe. You pound out chicken breasts super thin and just top with your pizza toppings and bake. Sooo so good. Another family favorite is spaghetti squash, especially this one:

Ingredients
1 medium spaghetti squash or 2 small spaghetti squash
1 1/2 lbs. Italian chicken sausage, casings removed
1 yellow onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch kale
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp pine nuts, roasted
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Place squash in the microwave for 3-4 minutes to soften. Using a sharp knife cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds and discard. Place the halves, with the cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until you can poke the squash easily with a fork. Let cool until you can handle it safely.
Meanwhile, prepare the kale by removing the center stems and either tearing or cutting up the leaves. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 4-5 minutes. Add the chicken sausage and break apart with a spatula to crumble. Cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring regularly, until the sausage is browned and cooked through. Add the kale and stir. Cook for a few minutes more to wilt the kale. Remove from heat and set aside.
Once cooled, scrape the insides of the spaghetti squash with a fork to shred the squash into strands. Transfer the strands into the skillet with the sausage and toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the mixture among the squash shells, and then top with pine nuts and parsley to serve.

Servings: 4

Edited by KT74

One of my favorite pre VSG meals was spicy thai noodles. I'm going to attempt them this week with zucchini zoodles. This is the recipe I've always used, except I take out the vegetable oil as it isn't necessary:

spicy+thai+noodles.jpg