Abibliophobe

Tofu Recipes?

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone have tofu recipes? The few times I have tried tofu I have enjoyed it. I have never cooked it before though so I don't have many recipes. Found a few recipes online I could possibly try but not all of them were easy or simple.

You can use tofu in just about anything. It takes on the flavor of whatever you are cooking it with - sauces, veggies, etc. I like dry and firm tofu so I buy the super firm and then kinda of grill in a skillet to remove some moisture. I've put it in chili, soup whatever really, it is super versatile. And, wildwood sells flavored tofu so that is good too.  

Hi Abibliophobe, I take cakes of tofu, dice them into squares that are perhaps 1/4" x 1/4", and marinate them in something a bit salty (soy sauce, miso, fish sauce) and a tiny amount of sesame oil for a day or so. A quarter tsp of sesame oil (1.25 mls) is less than 15 calories and provides lots of aromatics and mouth feel. Even tiny amounts of oil can do the trick. Fish sauce, by the way, is very strong fish flavor with lots of protein (and salt) in it. A little bit goes a looooong way. When diluted it is a great ingredient. If you taste it straight it is like salty essence of fish and way too strong for most people... but then most people don't drink or taste straight Tabasco. 

So, after marinating, can cook in nonstick skillet or one with a quick spray of Pam. You can get a crispy side pretty easily if you can eat crispy stuff now. I personally can't tolerate anything too crispy dry right now (still only a month after surgery) but these marinated cubes are great in an egg-drop soup type broth. 

Great topic!