Hello all,So I had my first NUT visit and was told not to go over 1700 calories and work on eating 6 small meals throughout the day.  My insurance is requiring me to track my food intake through My Fitness Pal and send them my food reports.  A couple of questions:

1) If I go over 1700 calories or track that I ate fast food do you think they will deny?

2) If I lie on my tracking and say I kept under 1700 calories, when really I had a cheeseburger and the weight loss isn't showing (my insurance or surgeon isn't requiring me to lose weight) will they deny?

I just want to get this right so I get approved when the 6 months are up.  I want to take this time to prime myself for surgery, but all this food prep I've been doing is going to burn me out by the time 6 months are up! I don't think I've ever stuck to a healthy meal plan for more than 3 weeks!

Follow what they have told you.  If you eat crap; I mean fast food track it and cut back calories the rest of the day or plan for it.  

But now is the time to start better eating habits.  If you are eating out; pick a better choice-something that isn't fried.  Substitute a salad with light dressing instead of fries...

2 hours ago, mrsyoerger said:

I just want to get this right so I get approved when the 6 months are up.  I want to take this time to prime myself for surgery, but all this food prep I've been doing is going to burn me out by the time 6 months are up! I don't think I've ever stuck to a healthy meal plan for more than 3 weeks!

You need to get used to preparing healthy food and making good choices when you eat out. Surgery is a lifetime choice, so far longer than the initial six months. If you can't manage the lifestyle changes required before surgery then you should probably ask yourself if you are ready for a complete lifestyle change....then answer yourself with complete honesty. Keeping under 1700 calories a day isn't that hard to do provided you cut back carbs and stay away from takeaways...and that's easy when you decide that you really want surgery asap.

On 3/2/2017 at 3:50 PM, Cheesehead said:

Follow what they have told you.  If you eat crap; I mean fast food track it and cut back calories the rest of the day or plan for it.  

But now is the time to start better eating habits.  If you are eating out; pick a better choice-something that isn't fried.  Substitute a salad with light dressing instead

On 3/2/2017 at 2:42 PM, mrsyoerger said:

Hello all,So I had my first NUT visit and was told not to go over 1700 calories and work on eating 6 small meals throughout the day.  My insurance is requiring me to track my food intake through My Fitness Pal and send them my food reports.  A couple of questions:

1) If I go over 1700 calories or track that I ate fast food do you think they will deny?

2) If I lie on my tracking and say I kept under 1700 calories, when really I had a cheeseburger and the weight loss isn't showing (my insurance or surgeon isn't requiring me to lose weight) will they deny?

Update: I'm doing pretty good! The weekends for me were always fast food for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've stayed away from fast food and have managed to cook and prep my meals. Tracking is still annoying, but it's gotten easier. I am having trouble reaching 1700 calories without going over carbs and sodium first so I need to figure out different foods to eat that don't have a lot of sodium and carbs. I'm a pretty picky eater so it hasn't been easy. Does anyone have book recommendations for a bariatric patients? 

On March 2, 2017 at 5:42 PM, mrsyoerger said:

Please try to focus on developing healthy eating habits. If you lie while you're tracking your food, you're only hurting yourself. Plus, the doctor may not be requiring you to lose weight, but your insurance company is most likely looking for you to lose weight...and your doctor will probably have you come in for regular weigh ins. So you won't be able to hide the fact that you're not losing. It's not worth risking just for fast food!! Good luck and sending prayers your way! 

That is some intense requirement to give them your daily food log! I am also pre-op and I don't have anything nearly as strict--however I do track daily via MFP just to keep myself accountable and get ready for post-procedure food tracking. 

I'm not sure if your insurance will deny you outright if you have one bad day in six months, you should contact them to get the specifics about their requirements so you can stick to them. That being said, you really need to stop eating fast food. Try your best to meal plan, if you have to get something quick, make sure you compensate for your calorie count the rest of the day and try to stay away from the worst offenders. Learn how to cook if you can--a fast food diet is not going to be sustainable post surgery and you want to set yourself up for success.

It has helped me a lot to get into the mentality that this pre-op period is all about mental transformation and preparation for the coming physical changes. Lying to ourselves about what food we eat, cheating, and not facing the eating disorder demon head on is only going to cost you dearly later down the road. Stay strong and commit yourself to positive changes. 

Good luck! I know it's tough, especially when you are still physically able to eat whatever you want and how much you want, but you can do it if you are honest with yourself and really want to change yourself for the better.

Edited by amandr
corrected grammar