Hello, I'm in the last stages of my appointments to get the bypass surgery. I had the gastric sleeve 6 years ago, and surgery went well no complications except for GERD now. I lost a total of 90lbs with the sleeve, and now 6 years later I have gained back 50lbs. With that my back on blood pressure meds and they have now added a 2nd pill to control it. I was also borderline for diabetes. So now I have considered the bypass, because my dr did a scope to see if my pouch have stretched and it has not. So my dr suggested RYN. I'm a bit nervous, but just wanted to hear from someone who has done the same. Going from sleeve to bypass. Pleaseee help my surgery time is approaching. 

Welcome to Thinner Times Lashowne!

We have several members who have revised from a VSG to a RNY.  Hopefully, they'll see your thread and post of their experiences.

I cannot advise you on a revision to a RNY bypass except to say that I have never regretted having my RNY gastric bypass.  It allowed me to lose all of my excess weight in about 10 months, and to keep it all off in the years since then.

Welcome!  I'm not revision-just bypass.  It enabled me to ditch my blood pressure meds and diabetes meds (I was on 2bp and 6 diabetes pills a day). Before surgery I took 18 pills a day; now I take 1 thyroid pill.  It took 6 months to get rid of my last book pill.  Good luck!

Welcome, I just had my revision on March 23 2017. So far I feel so much better than I did when I had my sleeve.

I did the revision because I had the sleeve in 2012 and I too lost about 90 lbs and did good for about 3 yrs and then boom I put back on about 70 lbs.

When they checked my stomache I still had a small pouch but the bottom of my stomache stretched.

Now Im on my new journey and so looking forward to it.

Good luck with yours

I can only relay what my surgeon said to me when I asked about potential revisions while discussing the various surgeries.  He said he rarely does revisions because the same commitment to changed lifestyles is necessary for all types of WLS to be successful.  Probably worth discussing this statement with your bariatric team to get their views

8 hours ago, TentativeMe said:

I can only relay what my surgeon said to me when I asked about potential revisions while discussing the various surgeries.  He said he rarely does revisions because the same commitment to changed lifestyles is necessary for all types of WLS to be successful.  Probably worth discussing this statement with your bariatric team to get their views

My surgeon only does revisions that he deems "medically necessary". Weight gain is simply not a reason he'll accept for medical necessity.

for those who had regain after your VSG- would you mind sharing why you think you had regain? were you eating more? feeling hungrier? did you lose your way and couldn't get back?  I worry about regain a lot and hope to learn from others. Thanks in advance!  

2 hours ago, bellamoma said:

for those who had regain after your VSG- would you mind sharing why you think you had regain? were you eating more? feeling hungrier? did you lose your way and couldn't get back?  I worry about regain a lot and hope to learn from others. Thanks in advance!  

While my previous surgery was not VSG it was a purely restrictive surgery. I won't go into details here because it hasn't been performed for decades. My regain was totally the result of what I put in my mouth afterwards. It started with alcohol, went on to more and more carbs, initially from grazing, but later from gradually increased portion sizes. I could give so many excuses for that, but doing so would just be an excuse to try to shift away what was and always will be my personal responsibility.

I've managed to lose weight many times since with relative ease.....How???....simply by discovering (about 7 years ago) that carbs were my enemy. In my case breads and sugars, and eliminating most of those from my diet. It's not rocket science. I restrict carbs and I lose weight, I let the carbs creep back in and the weight goes back on. While I believe metabolism does slow down over time and make it somewhat harder, it still comes down to my personal choice of what goes into my mouth.

I know quite a few people who've regained after WLS (including VSG) and while they make all sorts of excuses for it, pouch stretching seems to be the favourite. I see how and what they eat, and I believe it's carbs every time. Whether they come in the form of liquids or high carb snacks....it's still high carbs that from what I see play a major role in their regain. Once they see that for themselves, and acknowledge it and choose to address it,  the weight gain slowly reverses itself. Unfortunately many choose not to and the weight continues to creep right back on.

As every surgeon tells you, the surgery is just a powerful kickstart, the rest of your life is totally dependent on the choices you make. Until a person comes to that personal realisation, regain is inevitable. For many the start of regain will be necessary for that realisation to sink in...for some it sadly never will because blaming something or someone else is so much easier than taking responsibility for your own actions.

ETA: Best tip I could give is to weigh yourself regularly and act immediately on any regain. Putting your scales away is just asking for trouble. They are your best defence against regain...a friend that doesn't lie!!!!

Edited by Aussie H

On 4/7/2017 at 7:04 PM, Aussie H said:

My surgeon only does revisions that he deems "medically necessary". Weight gain is simply not a reason he'll accept for medical necessity.

My surgeon will do a revision due to  severe acid reflux, and damage to my esophagus due to the reflux.

Welcome to Thinner Times Delvenia!

On 29/08/2017 at 3:50 PM, Delvenia said:

I kept off 87 lbs but developed a hiatal hernia due to reflux after my sleeve in 2014. Revised to RNY on 8/17/17

I’m having the Gastric Bypass due to a severe Reflux. How are you feeling now after the op? 

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:50 AM, Delvenia said:

I kept off 87 lbs but developed a hiatal hernia due to reflux after my sleeve in 2014. Revised to RNY on 8/17/17

Hi Delvenia,  I have a hiatal hernia and acid reflux. I just had my surgery 2 1/2 months ago. When did you have your first surgery? When did you start having problems ect?