I am a male and I am deathly scared of a catheter. I dont want to get one or wake up with one Does the sleeve surgery require a catheter?    

Ask your doctor.  They may put it in and take it out while you are out..  

Ours didn't take them out until after you passed the swallow test, just in case there was a problem.

It is not that bad. You don't really notice it.

I had a catheter (for about 24 hours as best I can remember).

It's something you need to discuss with your surgeon because not all doctors use them.

I didn't have one while I was awake, and don't think I had one while I was anesthetized.

A different experience here.  The bladder is sensitive to ansethesia and mine is VERY sensitive.  I was unable to void on my own after surgery and my hospital required that I void prior to release.  So I stayed an extra night with a catheter and when I still couldn't void I got to come home for several days with a Foley catheter.  My wife really proved she believed in the "for better or worse" as she helped me deal with it.

Turns out I also have a very enlarged prostate which made voiding much more challenging while the bladder recovered.

Catheters are uncomfortable and not a lot of fun.   The insertion and removal is only slightly painful at most but the improvement in health and overall life style has been worth it.

Good luck

I had one during surgery. In and out while I was asleep. I wouldn't have given it a second thought but I also had some trouble getting the sensation to need to go after I woke up. The nurse finally asked me try to go after on one of my walking trips, I didn't realize how long it had been.

Discuss with your surgeon ahead of time. My surgeon doesn't believe in them because while you are in his bari unit, you walk every 2 hours from 6am to midnight. Walking so much encourages you to pee.

aside from that, as a patient you have the right to refuse any treatment as per national "Patient care guidelines."

good luck.

There is a long post on this topic, with lots of helpful information:

I didn't have one.  It was never brought up. 

I didn't have one