mikef

Do you have regrets?

Do you have regrets?   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have regrets or would you do it different?

• No regrets at all. Best decision I ever made.
    • Yes. I wish I never did the surgery.
    • I wish I would of done the RNY full bypass instead.

So usually you only hear from people with problems. I want to hear from everyone. I'm still trying to decide. 

Only problem I had and still have is nausea, and not getting in my protein requirements. Most days I just can't eat that much but I am learning to be more mindful that I haven't ate in a while and I will eat a little. I am almost 6 months out and still can't believe how i look now, from 22_24 to 14_12. I love the fact I can't eat much but I still crave everything I use to eat but I don't give in. 

I'm 4 years out; haven't had any problems.  Couldn't be happier!  It's still all about what you put in your mouth in the end.  And only you can control that!  The only things that make me ill is alcohol and fried foods so I don't go there and it's nothing I need anyways!  

just my 2 cents but I think your goal weight is a bit high.  You will probably go below it..Btw-welcome!  

Best decision I ever made. Hands down. 

4 hours ago, GAviv said:

Yep!

8 hours ago, GAviv said:

I totally agree. 

If I had to do it again tomorrow, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

Ditto to all of the above!

I was incredibly nervous about the surgery, right up till the surgeon wheeled me in to the operating room, but I have never regretted it for even a moment since I woke up in recovery. I will be a year out next week and I have lost almost 165lbs, I took up cross country skiing this winter to help rebuild my muscle loss and now ski 3 to 4 times a week. This last weekend I was able to go down hill skiing for the first time in almost 20 years and realized exactly what I had been missing all those years. Don't get me wrong, this surgery is not a magical fix, I still crave foods I used to eat and I have struggled to find quick meals after a busy day with my kids, but in the end it all comes down to will power, planning and what is most import to each person. For years it was more important for me to feel comfortable and food was comfort, but after the surgery I decided to break that habit and start new habits, VSG gave me a fresh start and I decided to use that fresh start to make myself healthy for the first time in my life. 

I wish you the best of luck!!

I regret not having the surgery years earlier!!!

Four months out and wish I had not done it. I'm holding out hope that it gets better, but I wish I could undo this.

On 2/27/2017 at 6:57 PM, GAviv said:

This. 100%

On 2/28/2017 at 2:16 PM, frozennorth said:

I was incredibly nervous about the surgery, right up till the surgeon wheeled me in to the operating room, but I have never regretted it for even a moment since I woke up in recovery. I will be a year out next week and I have lost almost 165lbs, I took up cross country skiing this winter to help rebuild my muscle loss and now ski 3 to 4 times a week. This last weekend I was able to go down hill skiing for the first time in almost 20 years and realized exactly what I had been missing all those years. Don't get me wrong, this surgery is not a magical fix, I still crave foods I used to eat and I have struggled to find quick meals after a busy day with my kids, but in the end it all comes down to will power, planning and what is most import to each person. For years it was more important for me to feel comfortable and food was comfort, but after the surgery I decided to break that habit and start new habits, VSG gave me a fresh start and I decided to use that fresh start to make myself healthy for the first time in my life. 

I wish you the best of luck!!

I love that - I feel the same way, food was a comfort and I am so thankful for this tool to help me quit hiding behind this weight. For the first time in my life, I am excited and so optimistic about the future!

Best decision I ever made for ME!  Only regret, waiting so long to change my life!

Over 2 years out and absolutely no regrets.  This has changed my life in so many ways I never dreamed of; absolutely the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I'm 3.5 years out. No regrets. At times I actually have trouble remembering what my life was like at 300 pounds. This body, this life feels just right to me. My old body and my old life never really felt like me. 

Edited by Stephtay

Today is PostOp day 5 and today all the regrets punched me at once, I'm hating the liquid diet, I hate that at family dinner everyone is eating and I just have a cup of broth (by now I hate it), I hate feeling miserable because I can't sleep (I sleep in freefall position), I know in the long run this regrets will mean nothing, but for now they're everything.

I'm glad you came here to vent, Olga. The regrets are real but also temporary (as you said). I hope some results come soon for you so everything feels worth it. Hugs.

11 minutes ago, Gretta said:

I'm glad you came here to vent, Olga. The regrets are real but also temporary (as you said). I hope some results come soon for you so everything feels worth it. Hugs.

Thank you, Gretta <3

2 hours ago, OlgaC said:

Today is PostOp day 5 and today all the regrets punched me at once, I'm hating the liquid diet, I hate that at family dinner everyone is eating and I just have a cup of broth (by now I hate it), I hate feeling miserable because I can't sleep (I sleep in freefall position), I know in the long run this regrets will mean nothing, but for now they're everything.

Oh, Olga, I'm so sorry you're not feeling happy right now. The first week is hard. The second week is a little less hard. After that it gets better. The liquid diet was hard, for sure, but things got a lot better when I started eating food, even the soft stages. Keep coming back here for support. You're not alone! I hope you feel better soon.

On 2/27/2017 at 7:59 PM, mikef said:

So usually you only hear from people with problems. I want to hear from everyone. I'm still trying to decide. 

@mikef

I'm only 8 weeks postop but am happy - delighted - I did this. It's way more fun to have a lower weight. You can add that to the poll, but I think you should discount my answer. Why?

While I have had bad days, none of them compare to how bad having a stroke or heart failure from hypertension, or losing my eyesight from diabetes, will be. Or just being dead. That's the real story line. All the stuff - here or on You Tube or other sites or wherever - about regretting that you can't eat Twinkies anymore is just dross. Anyone can say they regret the surgery now because it hurts, or because they have to confront their screwed up relationship with food. Ask someone with a stroke, or a person having to start dialysis, if they regret not having the surgery and they will say they wish they had had the surgery. While the immediate goal of weight loss is in part what the end game is about, the real goal of the real end game is an healthy life not cut short by the complications of obesity.

Suggest you take a look at the life expectancy calculators. You are 43 and weigh 325, used to weight 450. Plug in your medical conditions, if any, like sleep apnea, hypertension, diabetes, arthritis. Then compare to normal weight, none of the other conditions. My two cents is that your decision should be fundamentally predicated on those results. The responses you garner from a poll have little to do with the extra years of good life you get. The years of life that are gained are usually healthy ones, not years that are bad ones because you are sick with lots of things. With surgery you run the risk of death. That risk is much smaller than the far more likely risk of premature death and disability from doing nothing. (Doing nothing is a choice).  

I am basically making the argument that as you decide what you want to do, you may wish to consider these elements in the equation. Best of luck.

14 hours ago, OlgaC said:

I had the same feelings. Hang in there. Soon you will be slim and eating too. Joy will return, it's just taken a vacation. 

@OlgaC and @mikefAdding to "any regrets" log...

Tonight I had some warmed-up leftover ribs from Sunday night (bought too many as a friend's kid, a god-daughter, couldn't make it). I had four ribs. Ribs had been a raison d'etre for me. Life without ribs was not worth living. Well, tonight they were banal. After 1 rib I had to think a lot about whether or not I should just skip the rest, but I needed the protein and, being expensive, I didn't want them to go to waste. 

Food, like art or great wine or literature, or lots of great things, can be about not just sustenance but elegance and beauty and connection to the land and other worthy things. Alas the ribs were not elegant or beautiful. At the end of the day, you can (or should) only put so a few molecules of food in your mouth. They might as well be beautiful as well as sustaining molecules, if you care about beauty and our relationship to the earth. There are lots of postings here about developing an healthy relationship to food, but they focus on (1) sustenance or (2) not feeding your crazed #^!*$ weird relationship to food and emotional needs. That's appropriate but... An undeveloped arena is that (3) LITTLE portions of SUPERB food are compatible with bariatric/post-WLS eating... noting that big portions of superb food are NOT compatible with healthy living. Tonight the ribs were not beautiful. Tears, yes sobs of woe, resulted. (OK, don't believe everything I write). Tonight I could taste that there was meat and fat, ... but that just won't cut it anymore. Now I want healthy portions, an healthy life, and if you don't mind, beauty. 

Earlier this evening I rode just under 14 miles cycling at 16.9+ miles per hour (49:30 or thereabouts. Fastest I've been on that circuit in years.) That "tasted" very delicious indeed and was beautiful. I noticed I had a newly visible strand of muscle in my front-of-legs. 

So, put me in the no regrets category.