Mswhite23

Post Op Weight Loss Depression

I am 4 weeks post op and have only lost 16lbs since surgery. In fact, I've been at the same weight for the last week. I've been reading how people are losing a pound a day. I follow the meal plans as suggested and weigh my food. I've been doing 30-60 mins of cardio at the gym for the past 2 weeks. What am I doing wrong? HELP!

You've lost four pounds per week. That's fantastic!  The worst thing you can do is compare your weight loss to other people. Everyone is different.  What are you eating?  Are you on soft foods?  Solids?  

I'm currently on solids. I eat 3 ounces of protein first and then veggies. Some days I'm hungrier than others but mainly I'm just exhausted and feeling like this isn't working for me. 

16lb in your first month post-op is more than I lost.

3 hours ago, cinwa said:

16lb in your first month post-op is more than I lost.

Me too. And, fwiw, I've never heard about anyone consistently losing a pound a day. I suppose it's possible, particularly if someone had an extremely high starting weight, but I've never read on here or anywhere else about someone actually dropping that much weight on a daily basis over an extended amount of time. And aside from that, it seems like losing weight that fast would be really hard on the body.

You are doing just fine. Hang in there. Keep exercising, drinking water and sticking to your food plan. You will be at goal before you know it.

I agree with everyone above that 16lbs in a month is a fantastic start. I was one of the people in the beginning that lost about a lb/day and I lost nearly 36lbs my first month, but I started out with a fairly high weight for one thing and for two, I stayed on a liquid/slush diet for a bit longer than most do and third, (I think most importantly) I didn't start exercise till much later than you did. Looking back now I regret waiting so long to start exercising, because by the time I did my poor muscles had wasted away and it has taken me 6 months to get back to normal. Most people starting out don't realize that not all of that weight coming off is fat, even if you eat nothing but protein, your body is going to burn some muscle in order to meet its needs. Early regular exercise will slow that down and will likely slow weight loss down, but will leave you in a better place in the long run.

Good luck and don't get discouraged!!

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all of your encouraging words!