B.Annie

How did you not go crazy during 6mo preop

Ok, how did you stop the 6 month pre op requirement from feeling like it would never end? I need tips or tricks because its been 1 week and im going obsessively insane.

Also, my surgeon said I would be able to count all prior consecutive dr appointments toward the 6 month goal. Before being referred for WLS, i saw my PCP in Nov, then skipped dec due to holidays, and then saw her again in Jan and Feb. I can definitely use jan and feb toward my 6 month req., but would LOVE to be able to go back to Nov and get around 4 months of the 6mo req. Ive been on dr monitored diets for many years and stopped most recently due to pregnancy and delivery recovery. Im not new to restricted foods. Has anyones doctor filled out that youve been to a weigh in when you didnt? Sounds so illegal and im sure if it is, my dr wont do it. I just hope she will!

4 hours ago, B.Annie said:

Ok, how did you stop the 6 month pre op requirement from feeling like it would never end? I need tips or tricks because its been 1 week and im going obsessively insane.

Im not letting waiting time fuss me at all and it is over 6 months now for me since I knew I would have to have surgery. I've used the time to research, research and do more research. I've watched everything I could find to watch, and read everything I could find to read. I've searched out recipes that will be useful at each stage of recovery and purchased smaller serving size freezer storage containers and smaller dinner plates.

Even more importantly though is I've used the time to change my lifestyle and eating habits. I figured that if I couldn't do that before surgery then what was the point of having surgery. I have lost over 45lb and that has in turn decreased my risk of surgical complications. Looking back on the past few months I actually wouldn't have it any other way. I exercise more now and I eat high protien/low carb. I know now that I can do this after surgery because I'm demonstrating that I can do it now. Sure it would have been satisfying to lose weight more rapidly by having surgery more quickly....but the reality for me is that I feel so much more ready now than I did 6 months ago to deal with such life altering surgery. Plus the naysayers are seeing my weight reduce now so those not being told about the surgery won't suspect anything given they're watching the weight come off now. 

Edited by Aussie H

My pre-op diet was only about two months, but knowing what I know now (how wonderful life is at goal weight) I would have happily accepted a six month pre-op diet. So hang in there, do not get frustrated or cheat, and you will soon be on the losers bench and speeding your way to life as a thin and healthy person.  :)

I just finished my 4th month out of 6. I have been very happy and excited during this whole process. I have learned new food recipes, I have been packing my meals for work (breakfast and lunch), I have been reading sites like this one and various Facebook groups for information and inspiration. I guess it's all the mindset of the individual. I am SO EXCITED to get to the goal of surgery (and all of the other goals after surgery) that I am just super happy about progressing toward that goal. Learning the new food habits is not easy, and can be frustrating, but I am proud of myself and what I have accomplished in my 4 months of supervised weight loss. I am proving to myself and the doctors that I can do this and be a successful post-op patient.

That being said...I understand you're hurry to want the 6 months over with as soon as possible. I started talking to my doctor in September about surgery, and I met with the surgeons office in October. But my first month of supervised weight loss did not officially start until November. I can't count my September and October appointments toward my 6 months. In order to satisfy my insurance company I am doing everything by the book, jumping through any hoop they ask me to. Satisfying the insurance so they will pay for it is just another goal.

So again, perhaps it's just a mindset thing. When you're looking toward the future don't look for all the roadblocks and pitfalls and challenges. Just keep walking. You'll make it there.

One quick point, it is quite possible that the Federal laws and polices that encourage health insurance companies to cover weight loss surgery may change in the next few months.  Thus, I would encourage anyone interested in weight loss surgery to get their surgery approved by their insurer as soon as possible, as getting such an approval in a few months may be far more difficult.