DoneW/300s

To be sleeved on 3/14/17

43 posts in this topic

Just got my sleeve date for 3/14/17 and can't wait. Already bought my bucket of protein (Isopure unflavored) and a butt load of jellos. Also picked up a Ninja Pro shake maker and did a couple kale and stuff shakes. Kinda like them.

Anyway, just want to start a thread about my pending date and share the count down. Doc only wants a 7 day low card diet and one day liquids pre-op. Should be fun...

Chat you guys later.

BTW, loving this site.

tmcgee, Raeme and Ficklemom like this

Welcome to TTF. I see you are in South Florida. What hospital are you having your surgery at? I had mine at Univ. of Miami Hospital about 15 months ago.

I advise you not to load up too much on protein drinks, other drinks and food too much before your surgery, as your taste buds will likely change quite a bit after surgery. For example, my beverage of choice before surgery was spring water, but I needed more flavor in my liquids after surgery in order to drink the quantity needed. Wait until after the surgery, and then try samples of various kind of drinks in order to find ones that you can tolerate in large quantities. The Ninja blender is a good idea, as it will be especially helpful during the puree and soft food phases after surgery.

Ficklemom likes this

Welcome!  

I second that, many tastes change post surgery.  Mine really didn't change drastically but even now something I've eaten or drank and liked will all of a sudden be a no go.  I ate eggs early out, now they look and sound good but when I try them, I gag.  Hated coffee pre surgery now drink iced decaf..  I no longer like hamburger.  I stocked up on broths but only managed 1 box, don't like broth and it took forever to get through with 2 oz at a time..

if you can, find them sample packets are great...no sense in buying a big container of something that you aren't going to drink;). Whey isolate is best..

Edited by Cheesehead
Ficklemom likes this

Thanks Jerry and Cheesehead. I have bought a few things as to try and get into the pre-diet softly. I am really enjoying different shakes and the Isopure unflavored seems to agree with me now. Hopefully that won't change. Not really looking forward to pureeing any meats, but I am thinking of hot carrots and protein powder and tomatoes or peas the same way. We'll see how it goes. Getting excited.

Ficklemom likes this

The funny thing was before surgery all I could think about was how the food tasted and after the surgery, I could care less. I could only eat such small quantities of things that it really didn't matter how it tasted because it was gonna be over soon. I tried to pick my foods based on how much protein they had versus sugar and fat content and for the first few weeks of soft foods I lived on refried beans, hummus, broth and protein drinks. I never could get into the whole baby food/ pureed foods. Afterwards eggs became my best friend and then I slowly started introducing one new food type at a time till I could eat anything I wanted. The only struggle I ever had was with salmon, the first time I tried it, I thought I was going to die, but the next time I tired it I ate less and it was better. I still pick most of my foods the same way I did in the beginning, looking at calories, fat, sugar and protein and have fallen into a pretty nice food routine, with an occasional new dish thrown in for variety.  

Keep up the good work!!

Ficklemom likes this

On 2/26/2017 at 8:46 AM, DoneW/300s said:

Just got my sleeve date for 3/14/17 and can't wait. Already bought my bucket of protein (Isopure unflavored) and a butt load of jellos. Also picked up a Ninja Pro shake maker and did a couple kale and stuff shakes. Kinda like them.

Anyway, just want to start a thread about my pending date and share the count down. Doc only wants a 7 day low card diet and one day liquids pre-op. Should be fun...

Chat you guys later.

BTW, loving this site.

Best wishes for your long term success, your surgery date is my 4 year marker and I've been at my original target weight of 199 for a very long time. Life is good!

Posted (edited)

Good luck, you've got this! 

I second the refried beans, hummus, broth, protein shake comment they (along with bananas and Greek yogurt) have been my staples the last 4 weeks... but I also really liked a soft poached egg! It was the perfect portion, I've never been so happy to have an egg, it was my first food when I was done with the full liquid stage! 

The first few days are the worst, hang in there, it gets easier quickly.

Edited by Pincushion
Ficklemom and Res Ipsa like this

10 days until op...

Had my last steak last night with all the bad extras and I'm going to miss them for a while. Tonight is my daughter's 17th birthday get together and we are grilling burgers and dogs. Monday, my mother-in-law is making her famous meatloaf and scalloped cheese potatoes for my last real meal. Then Tuesday is day one of the 7 day low card and calorie pre-op two shakes a day diet. Grabbing all the stuff and the grocery store this morning to get me through it.

Its really starting to sink in now. 

Ficklemom likes this

Hmmm, you're probably only going to remember the way you're eating now. I am physically unable to eat like that anymore. It took a long time for that to sink into my head, and even now, it's the reality I sometimes have trouble believing.

Res Ipsa and Ficklemom like this

I had my food funeral the Saturday before; started with 4 bloody Mary's, eggs Benedict, outback blooming onion, prime rib and wall a by darneds.  Haven't had any of that since...  

meatloaf is soft (for post op) I think about stage 4..I liked refried beans with taco sauce and cheese, cottage cheese with marinara warmed a little, Greek yogurt (Dannon light and fit is good..lower calorie, higher in protein and quite tasty)

5 days left of this pre-diet crap. I've never eaten 700-800 calories a day and I starving all day. Today, we had a group training during our lunch hour and boss bought pizza for everyone. I wanted to die it smelled so good. But I was able to dig deep and resist. I only had my little salad, cheeses stick and my protein shake. Now, I wake up hungry, spend most of the day hungry, and after my snack of a dinner meal I go to bed hungry. I hope this changes post surgery or I'm screwed. I hate being hungry all day. 

tmcgee likes this

It could be worse!! My surgeon imposed a 14 day liquid pre-op diet for us. Our primary diet were drinks called Optifast, (made by Nestles) which are considered a meal replacement. We were required to drink 5 of the 12 oz drinks daily; each contained 150 calories. The only "solid" food we were allowed was sugar-free Jello. We were also allowed to drink as much other sugar-free, noncaffeinated liquids as we wanted. The Optifast drinks were similar to many of the protein milk shakes; and came in chocolate, vanilla and strawberries & cream flavors. They actually tasted pretty good. I lost 20 lbs. after 5 days on this diet. We were weighed at the beginning and end of the diet, and were told that if we didn't lose at least 7.5% of our weight during the 2 week period, the surgery may be postponed!! While I didn't have strong hunger pangs during the diet, I did have a low-grade headache most of the time, which was probably due to hunger. I do confess that I cheated a couple of times during the second week on the diet; once for a slice of pizza and the other time for a steak!!

What hospital is your surgery taking place at?

On 3/8/2017 at 6:36 PM, DoneW/300s said:

5 days left of this pre-diet crap. I've never eaten 700-800 calories a day and I starving all day. Today, we had a group training during our lunch hour and boss bought pizza for everyone. I wanted to die it smelled so good. But I was able to dig deep and resist. I only had my little salad, cheeses stick and my protein shake. Now, I wake up hungry, spend most of the day hungry, and after my snack of a dinner meal I go to bed hungry. I hope this changes post surgery or I'm screwed. I hate being hungry all day. 

I never get hungry anymore, and it's quite hard to believe and accept. Lots of changes ahead for you, it's rough at first and then it gets better and better until you wonder why you didn't do the surgery 10 years sooner!

Res Ipsa likes this

Great news.  Congratulations.  

Congrats!!  Looking forward to regular updates.  I go in on 3/16 so I'm on day 4 of Optifast only.  Couch cushions are beginning to look tasty at this point.  Lol

Well, 

three days out now and still doing the liver shrinking diet. The hunger pains have past for the most part, but I have defiantly noticed a lower energy level. I have had more then my portion calories, but still extremely low cards. 750 cals a day just isn't realistic for anyone. I have already needed to tighten my duty belt at work and my pants are looser. Sunday is dinner at mom's and planing on chicken and veggies, then Monday is liquids only. That's going to suck, but I guess I'll get through it. I've come this far, won't blow it now. Planning on shakes all day and a quart of egg drop soup for dinner. Check in is at 7:00 am on Tuesday then my life changes. Starting to dream about real food and wondering what I'll be able to eat next week. I guess I'll have two days in the hospital to plan it out. 

Pincushion, Res Ipsa and cinwa like this

You likely be "dining" on protein shakes this week, no?

I think that's the meat and potatoes of it. Lol, I couldn't resist. 

9 hours ago, DoneW/300s said:

I think that's the meat and potatoes of it. Lol, I couldn't resist. 

Just a couple of days to go - you've done really well.

I've gotten used to having a Premiere Protein shake for breakfast.  My fridge is full of them since I buy them on jet and you get discounts the more you buy :P I figure I'll be living on those for the two weeks after surgery

Pincushion likes this

On 3/10/2017 at 1:17 PM, tmcgee said:

I never get hungry anymore, and it's quite hard to believe and accept. Lots of changes ahead for you, it's rough at first and then it gets better and better until you wonder why you didn't do the surgery 10 years sooner!

I also never get hungry, I try to make sure I eat something every 4 hours at the most. 

I am learning that for the last 30 years my life was planned around food, occasions were planned around meals, vacations were planned around restaurants. It's all new to me, but I'm learning.  

These are some of the lessons we all learn as our journey continues. 

You can do this DoneW/300s, and we are all here to vent to,  and offer advice if you need it. GOOD LUCK

Thanks all for the encouragement. It's really appreciated as I start my 24 hour pre-surgery liquid diet. I am getting a little apprehensive and nervous knowing that tomorrow morning they will be take 4/5th of my stomach out. I've been with it from the beginning and we have had some really good times togeather. But as I have been reading here and in speaking with other sleevers, there are no regreats. I'm just done to the wire and feeling the nerves I guess. 

I think it's so normal to be nervous. Try to focus on the excited feeling if you can. I'm excited for you. Hello, new chapter! Here's to everything going perfectly and fantastic healing!

On 3/13/2017 at 4:34 AM, DoneW/300s said:

Thanks all for the encouragement. It's really appreciated as I start my 24 hour pre-surgery liquid diet. I am getting a little apprehensive and nervous knowing that tomorrow morning they will be take 4/5th of my stomach out. I've been with it from the beginning and we have had some really good times togeather. But as I have been reading here and in speaking with other sleevers, there are no regreats. I'm just done to the wire and feeling the nerves I guess. 

Thinking of you this morning - have a safe trip to the losers bench.

Can't wait to hear from him!!!