kellyv93

Anyone regret having surgery?

14 posts in this topic

I'm 2 days out and all I want to do is eat.  I feel like I'm starving.  I know I CAN'T eat and it's not head hunger.  I'm beginning to think I made a mistake.

You did not make a mistake. Just hang in there.  Please. Life as a thin and healthy person awaits you. Trust me on this.  :)

athenarose and Stephtay like this

It will get better!  In a year you will look back and wonder why you didn't do it sooner!  Good luck on your new journey to a healthy life!!

Stephtay likes this

It gets better! Are you taking omeprazol? Sometimes stomach acid and sometimes dehydration feel like constant hunger. Follow your given instructions, drink water! In a few days your new stomach will be less irritated and swollen, and you'll feel much better. 

athenarose likes this

I feel I regret it. But this is the first site I have come across. I feel like I'm all alone in this. And I am lost. I had my surgery august of 2016. I know that's not a long time as most on here. And I mean no disrespect. I'm just so unknow to it all. But I love that I have lost the weight I was wanting to. But I really can't eat. Or is getting full on four bites of chicken, normal now? I'm still drinking protein shakes as my main cause it hurts to eat food. I am having the worst acid reflux. I'm now on medication for it. But I still can't eat anymore. Even just drinking water causes me to have pain and acid reflux. My goal weight was 128lbs and I am now down to 123lbs and still loosing. I'm starting to get scared cause I don't know how to fix this. I have no energy and when I eat or try and eat. It can take me up to an hour and a half b4 I can move. I'm loosing my hair. That's from not getting enough protein. I was told. I'm feeling very down sad alone and scared. I'm depressed and my family doctor has just started me on medication for the depression. Right now I feel like I failed and I regret having this surgery. I don't mean to bring anyone down. I'm reaching out to anyone who might be able to give me some words of help faith or even just a hang in there, things do get better. I had my surgery done in Mexico and now that I'm back in Canada. I am having a hard time finding any doctor who can help me. I know of one other lady. Who has had the surgery a month after me. She is in her 50's and she is now down to 113lbs. She looks and feels like the walking dead. There is nothing left to her. And she's still loosing. She's having acid reflux and having a hard time eating also. I'm very concerned for her. So please anything you all can pass on to help her and myself would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you all 

Edited by Stkaren
tmcgee likes this

@Stkaren have you been checked for any kind of long-term complications, such as strictures or anastomosys ulcers? That set of symptoms doesn't sound normal to me.

Kelly,

Have you tried warm drinks like broth or teas.  They're often more soothing than cold ones.

Getting full on 4 bites of chicken is definitely the new normal to me.

To me, it's not about "I can't eat" anymore. Why should I feel like I always have to eat? Eating all the time, especially if it felt good and tasted good, is what got me to almost 300 lbs at my highest. I'm must rather eat because I have to in order to survive than eat just because I feel like I want to because it's there or it's a habit or whatever. I'm happy with my protein shake at breakfast. I eat a cheese stick and some sort of protein for lunch, then I go do something, like clean, walk the dog, watch a show....whatever. Anything other than sit and wish I could eat more. 

For me, a lot of this whole journey was for me to have a better relationship with food. Not to eat it because I feel like I need to eat all the time for whatever reason, but to eat because I need food to survive. And also, eat healthy to ensure that I'm putting stuff in my system that helps me overall.

Depression is common, regret is common. I'm willing to bet a lot of it is food addiction related. Your head is telling you that you failed because you can't fit in more food. Why try to fit in more? Why not just eat to feel satisfied after a few bites? Once the swelling goes down and you fight against the head hunger, I'm pretty sure you will feel better. I regretted the surgery when my food addiction was threatened. Now, I don't regret it at all. I'd much rather have the energy to be as active as I have been than sit on my butt not being able to do anything because food is my ball and chain.

Just a few thoughts. And I did go back into old habits after being well below goal and gained 30 lbs. I'm now almost back to doctor's goal because I decided to not dwell on food anymore to comfort me (again). I feel a lot better because of it, too.

Wow! You guys are right!  I'm one week out now.  I still feel hungry a lot but the regret is starting to disappear.  I've lost 15 pounds since I started pre-op (2/12).  I sometimes feel sluggish, but food has a different meaning to me now.  I remember reading that some people hardly ever feel hungry after surgery.  I was really hoping that would be the case for me, but I'm learning to accept that it's not.  I've been given this second chance and I'm going to make the most of it.

StKaren, I'm sorry about what you are going through.  I've dealt with depression for most of my life and I know how much of a struggle it is.  Please contact me if you need someone to talk to!

cinwa, LeeC, bcd and 1 other like this

No regrets at all. Best decision I ever made. A moment or two of buyer's remorse post-op is very normal. Stay on plan. Don't stress about it and in a couple of years you will have a hard time recalling what your life was like as a heavy person. 

On 3/1/2017 at 1:32 PM, kellyv93 said:

Wow! You guys are right!  I'm one week out now.  I still feel hungry a lot but the regret is starting to disappear.  I've lost 15 pounds since I started pre-op (2/12).  I sometimes feel sluggish, but food has a different meaning to me now.  I remember reading that some people hardly ever feel hungry after surgery.  I was really hoping that would be the case for me, but I'm learning to accept that it's not.  I've been given this second chance and I'm going to make the most of it.

StKaren, I'm sorry about what you are going through.  I've dealt with depression for most of my life and I know how much of a struggle it is.  Please contact me if you need someone to talk to!

Did they start you on a acid blocker? If so, remember its not a one size fits all medication..... It took me trying 3 different ones before I stopped having those awful hunger pangs now 1.5 years out I rarely take my acid meds I thought I would be on it for the rest of my life! And now when I get even the tiniest hunger pang I know I need it, take it and within  20 minutes its gone! I'm never hungry even this far out in my surgery. 

Ficklemom likes this

20 hours ago, Amber76bailey said:

Did they start you on a acid blocker? If so, remember its not a one size fits all medication..... It took me trying 3 different ones before I stopped having those awful hunger pangs now 1.5 years out I rarely take my acid meds I thought I would be on it for the rest of my life! And now when I get even the tiniest hunger pang I know I need it, take it and within  20 minutes its gone! I'm never hungry even this far out in my surgery. 

No, I've never even heard of that.  I'll have to research it.. it sounds like magic! :D

7 hours ago, kellyv93 said:

No, I've never even heard of that.  I'll have to research it.. it sounds like magic! :D

Really? Well so then omeprazol or lansoprazol daily to start with something... and if it's not enough, then your GP can change it. Sometimes you can use as well almagate or sodium alginate, it acts in a few minutes just as @Amber76bailey says.