Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tate

Pre surgery 3 month diet with blue shield of California

10 posts in this topic

Coming from Cali. Did you have to do a 3 month diet or 6 month with blue shield ppo platinum? My policy in writing says 3 months but I'm being told different. Every time I call to talk to a supervisor they hang up on me. Help?

I'm not in California however I have a Blue shield ppo platinum plan through my employer(based in California). I had to do a 6 month supervised diet. I think that is becoming more of a standard for insurance approval. did you talk with the insurance coordinator at the surgeons office? they may be able to pinpoint it more precisely.

Thank you!

Posted (edited)

I just got word that I have to go the 6 months with Blue Cross Blue Shield. I was suppose to have the VSG done in June & now it's been pushed out until October 21st. I'm pissed. 

It took me forever to finally work up the nerve to do it & now I'm being held off. Frustrated to say the least. Been a smoker for 30+ years, chewed tobacco at work for 30+ years & stopped cold turkey. Now I find myself slipping on the smokes after stopping for the past month. 

Leaving on vacation tomorrow for a week, gotta get my head screwed on straight again & get back on track but am so disappointed with the way things are going...... 

I'll get it together, but damn.... This really sucks! 

Edited by Pushin 300
Typo

That does really suck! I'm so sorry.

I have Blue Shield PPO here in California. My Surgeons office said I only have to do a 3 month class. Once per month for three consecutive months.  

On May 4, 2017 at 1:04 AM, Pushin 300 said:

I just got word that I have to go the 6 months with Blue Cross Blue Shield. I was suppose to have the VSG done in June & now it's been pushed out until October 21st. I'm pissed. 

It took me forever to finally work up the nerve to do it & now I'm being held off. Frustrated to say the least. Been a smoker for 30+ years, chewed tobacco at work for 30+ years & stopped cold turkey. Now I find myself slipping on the smokes after stopping for the past month. 

Leaving on vacation tomorrow for a week, gotta get my head screwed on straight again & get back on track but am so disappointed with the way things are going...... 

I'll get it together, but damn.... This really sucks! 

That REALLY sucks!! I'm sorry that happened. I was in a similar position last year at this time. I had done my pre op diet (lost 46 pounds), completed all of my requirements, clearances, etc...then I went for my pre op labs. They found some problems with my results and ended up diagnosing me with thyroid cancer. Gastric bypass cancelled until I had my thyroid surgeries and treatment. By the time I was finished with treatment in August '16, my body was too wiped out to even think about the weight loss surgery. I FINALLY just had my bypass on 5-17-17. It's been a looong road to get here, with lots of frustration along the way. Please try not to let this drive you back to smoking. The longer you have been smoke free when you do have surgery, your lungs will be that much better for it. And your recovery will be that much smoother. My journey started 17 months ago. Hang in there. You can do it!!

Res Ipsa likes this

Thanks guys. Yep, 6 months. Period. Starting Chantix tomorrow. See the dr thursday & I'm sure I'll take a butt chewing for still smoking. Oh well, life's full of disappointments for us all. I have to be nicotine free for 6 weeks so I know that won't be a problem. Been a little frustrated about the whole thing but It is what it is. 

I appreciate the encouraging words. 

Clay

Posted (edited)

Looking forward to hearing how the visit with the doc goes, @Pushin 300. You have plenty of time to quit. Boy, you're giving up a lot of comfort items at once (food, cigarettes). Impressive. The time really will fly. New year, new you!

Edited by Gretta
Pushin 300 likes this

I had to switch to Blue Shield to get my surgery done.. Here were the requirements : 

• 6 months of diet documentation. 
  • Diet documentation from the year prior and exercise for the year prior.
  • 6 months of exercise logging.
  • Primary Physician Letter (Which she refused to sign until I did a battery of drug tests).
  • Psych evaluation.
  • Nutritionist Evaluation
  • 4 hour nutrition, and surgery class.
  • Lab and Blood Work.

I ended up having to do the class twice, in two different locations. However, once I got all of my ducks in a row, I went from having the class on the 27th of July, and Surgery on August 1st. IT went by very quickly. 

Michael_A likes this