Ragdoll55

Gastric Bypass in 2007, total thyroidectomy 2016 cant lose any weight

Hi , 

In 2007 I had a RNY, and for 9 years I kept my diet on track, I felt good in my skin until in 2016 I dropped. Down to 129 lbs which my tall frame looked horrible after going threw a few medications that didn't work my endocrinologist sent me to a surgeon ..Well I had a goiter and graves disease I never slept I was a walking talking nervous breakdown. So she talked to my husband and she put me on .88mcg snythroid

After surgery it seemed the weight piled on ..I need knee replacements my doctor said he wants to wait till I lost weight I am carrying to much weight from the 3 months before he checked me for surgery. With all this going on i have no idea what to do does anyone have a problem like me ..I sure would like to hear from you...thank you

Have you tried the 5 day Pouch Test?

A lot of our members have had great success with it. 

4 hours ago, Ragdoll55 said:

Hi , 

In 2007 I had a RNY, and for 9 years I kept my diet on track, I felt good in my skin until in 2016 I dropped. Down to 129 lbs which my tall frame looked horrible after going threw a few medications that didn't work my endocrinologist sent me to a surgeon ..Well I had a goiter and graves disease I never slept I was a walking talking nervous breakdown. So she talked to my husband and she put me on .88mcg snythroid

After surgery it seemed the weight piled on ..I need knee replacements my doctor said he wants to wait till I lost weight I am carrying to much weight from the 3 months before he checked me for surgery. With all this going on i have no idea what to do does anyone have a problem like me ..I sure would like to hear from you...thank you

I was told by my ortho that I needed to lose 28kg (62lbs) before I can be listed for navicular fusion surgery on a foot. Talk about a big ask when you are in pain and unable to walk more than about 100m. I'm replacing 2 meals day with a VLCD meal replacement and sticking to a protien heavy evening meal. Also taking the vitamins I know I need to supplement. In less than 5 months I've dropped over 20kgs (about 45lbs) and recent blood tests came back fine according to, y doctor. It is doable, you just have to find out what works for you. I let pain be my motivator....and it is certainly an excellent motivator when I'm craving something I shouldn't eat.

I had my thyroid removed due to cancer in 2015, so I cannot speak to having that done after WLS. What I can say is that I have lost weight without one and while being on 175 mcg of Synthroid, so I would suspect that prior to removal, the Grave's gave you high T4 levels, which increased your metabolism to the point where you could eat more (maybe a lot more) than you can now at a normal level. You probably had it a while before they found it. Bummer, but more than likely fixable with diet, calorie counting, and movement as you are able. Can you go back to your dietician for help?

On May 8, 2017 at 7:03 PM, slars04 said:

I had my thyroid removed due to cancer in 2015, so I cannot speak to having that done after WLS

Same here, but mine was removed in 2016...one month after I was due to have my WLS last year. To be honest, I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to lose any weight after my thyroidectomy. Once I started my pre op diet, I saw that it wasn't going to be a problem. I'm taking Armour thyroid and that doesn't seem to be impeding my weight loss, thank God.