Tate

Total cost without insurance??

6 posts in this topic

Hello! It looks like my insurance will not pay for gastric bypass. I have decided to self pay. How much does everything end up costing at the end? I'm talking all doctor visits, labs, surgery, copays...EVERYTHING. Thanks

Here are two postings on this topic:

http://time.com/money/2795119/the-true-cost-of-my-weight-loss-surgery/

Given the very high cost, you should make every effort to have it covered by health insurance. If you are married and both of you work for different employers, it may be that you could get your surgery covered if you took health insurance from the other spouse. 

I don't know what EVERYTHING cost. I know my surgery with hospital stay was $27,000 for gastric bypass in Pittsburgh, PA. I had a bunch of pre op tests and doctors appointments and all that cost money too. My insurance helped pay for some but I still had to pay for what they didn't cover.. so all that plus the $27,000 was my total cost. I was able to claim the $27,000 surgery bill on my taxes and it helped give me a tax credit.

I had crazy insurance issues for a while, and it looked like I was going to have to self pay. So I did a ton of research on having the procedure done in Mexico because it is far cheaper.

Basically, you can get it done by a quality, US-trained Dr. (the one I picked out worked at the Mayo Clinic for several years) in a quality facility, for right at $10K. Pretty much all-inclusive except travel/airfare. 

For sure you can find cheaper prices than that, probably all the way down to $6K or so, but I would avoid those. You get what you pay for. And there are some horrible stories.

The cons to having it done in Mexico: The follow up, once you get home and settled into life, isn't super awesome depending on who you go with. Also, if you DO have complications down the road, it may be difficult to find a Dr. or surgeon that will work with you, since your original procedure wasn't done in the US "system".

The pros were, number one, cost. Some of the Dr.s and facilities have reviews even better than all but the best US Dr.s.

I self paid for my sleeve. My total cost was $7250. $2K for surgeon fees and the balance was for the surgical center.

5 hours ago, Smashlee83 said:

I self paid for my sleeve. My total cost was $7250. $2K for surgeon fees and the balance was for the surgical center.

Remember that in the US your out of pocket cost of weight loss surgery, when recommended by your doctor, almost certainly is deductible as a medical expense for income tax purpose. This tax deduction should help offset some of this surgery cost, especially if you already itemize your deductions (such as for mortgage interest and charitable gifts) on your tax returns.  

Smashlee83 likes this