Pincushion

Just over 4weeks post VSG.

6 posts in this topic

So Wednesday was 4 weeks since my Sleeve surgery. I'm down 32 lbs, since leaving the hospital. (I gained 5lbs from the iv fluids) 

I'm getting used to my new stomach, but I find myself eating too fast and that doesn't feel good. Protein drinks, yogurt, cottage cheese, a soft poached egg, egg salad or vegetarian refried beans have become staples in my meals.  I'm still on the soft/pureed stage, so I don't eat much about 2-3 oz max per meal. I'm struggling to eat 500 cal a day, while also getting 64 oz of water (or other liquid in).

I'm am getting better at knowing when to stop, or when I should eat. While my water intake is getting better, I'm still not at 64oz yet. 

Any tips? 

Thanks! 

KMFL28, Melo32, Cheesehead and 2 others like this

Omg, that is great!! 32 pounds in 4 weeks that amazing...cant wait for my surgery day.  How many days after surgery did it take to progress to stage 2 "pureed? and how were your liquids and pureed food schedule looked like..need as much info b4 the big day Thanks so much and may god continue to bless you on your journey.

You're off to a great start Pincushion - congratulations!

Something that help slow me down when eating was to have my fork or spoon in my opposite hand.

Pincushion and Karimeaway like this

It's great that you are staying on top of this and keeping count of your calories, protein, and oz of water. Many of us struggled to get it all in at the beginning but as time goes on, the swelling in your new stomach will subside and all of this will be less challenging.

One of the tips I got early out from another member was to use a Camelbak bite bottle. I'm not sure exactly what it is about it that did the trick for me but I nearly doubled my water intake after I started using them. Maybe it's something about the design (you don't have to tip the bottle to drink from it and because you bite the mouth piece to suck up the water, there's no excess air that gets in like it does with a regular straw). Here's a link to one. They're a little pricey but totally worth it in my opinion. https://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Water-Bottle-Dragon-75-Liter/dp/B00NTYHBUG/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1487351770&sr=1-1&keywords=Camelbak+water+bottle.

Sometimes people get sick of the taste of water so adding no calorie flavorings like mio or crystal light may help.

As far as calories are concerned, you've probably already heard the mantra 'protein first' a million times already. Since volume is an issue for you right now, maybe try adding a half a scoop of unflavored protein powder to soups, sauces, and purees. They can be blended with a little water first to prevent lumps and then blended into your food. It's an easy way to bump your protein without increasing the volume too much. Try not to worry about the calories. That will slowly rise over time. If you're reaching your daily protein and water goals within the first couple of month, you're doing great.

Please let us know how you make out and congrats on your progress so far!

Edited by Jabsie

18 hours ago, Melo32 said:

Omg, that is great!! 32 pounds in 4 weeks that amazing...cant wait for my surgery day.  How many days after surgery did it take to progress to stage 2 "pureed? and how were your liquids and pureed food schedule looked like..need as much info b4 the big day Thanks so much and may god continue to bless you on your journey.

I was given instructions to follow that said: clear liquid for days 1-3, full liquid days 4-14, then soft/pureed days 15-6 weeks. 

Slowing down the intake of food was (and is) a huge issue for me.  In the beginning, I used a timer on my phone.  I could have one bite a minute.  So you either chew, chew, chew the bite you've taken or you just wait.  Sometimes I was amazed on how long an actual minute took to pass.  I also used a baby spoon/fork to insure I was taking smaller bites and the old trick of putting down the fork between bites.   It's odd.  The putting down of the fork brings the most comments from others.  We are trained to keep that fork in hand.  

Two plus years out of surgery I find I still go back to using that timer at least once or twice a month.  I'll find I'm eating too quickly.  I can feel it and sometimes I just can't resist so out comes the timer until I feel in control.  

The great thing about the app on the phone is that I can leave up and running sitting next to me wherever I am and no one thinks twice about it. 

Good luck. 

Cheesehead and Pincushion like this