kellyv93

Second day of protein shakes

13 posts in this topic

I can hardly drink them.  I've tried different flavors and using syrup in them.  I didn't expect the shakes to be so hard to drink.  I'm really nervous about the next 8 days.

You should try the Premier Protein ready made shakes - chocolate flavor - as they are pretty good. You can find four packs of them at Walgreens.  

Try slightly freezing the ready to drink shakes-maybe 30-45 minutes.

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

If you have them in your area, I recently found Slim Fast Shakes - The ones that give 20g of protein, are very. very.. good.  http://slimfast.com/advanced-nutrition/#shakes

I'll try that.  I did find that adding some Hershey's unsweetened cocoa helps a lot.   My nutritionist had suggested buying a huge bag of vanilla powder so I could add syrup flavors to it.   But it's the vanilla that I can't stomach.  It smells like baby formula and I can hardly drink half of it, even with a flavored syrup in it.  My surgery is in one week.  I'm using every ounce of will power I have until then! 

Nashua nutrition offers samples of every protein they carry. I think they are around $2 each. Great company to work with. Your tastes will change after surgery. I found that the thinner the shake, the easier it was to drink. Also, try the Syntrax Vanilla and Chocolate....I think they are easy to get down and really don't have an odor to them. Good luck! It is worth it!

11 hours ago, kellyv93 said:

I'll try that.  I did find that adding some Hershey's unsweetened cocoa helps a lot.   My nutritionist had suggested buying a huge bag of vanilla powder so I could add syrup flavors to it.   But it's the vanilla that I can't stomach.  It smells like baby formula and I can hardly drink half of it, even with a flavored syrup in it.  My surgery is in one week.  I'm using every ounce of will power I have until then! 

Do you use a shaker bottle?  I find I cant smell it as easily with the bottle...

18 hours ago, Cheesehead said:

Do you use a shaker bottle?  I find I cant smell it as easily with the bottle...

I did but it didn't help.  I did find 2 different brands of shakes, muscle milk and ensure.  They are SOOO much better than the biaratric advantage powder that I was using.  I can drink these with no problem.  Now I wonder what to do with an $80 bag of powder.  :unsure:

12 hours ago, kellyv93 said:

I did but it didn't help.  I did find 2 different brands of shakes, muscle milk and ensure.  They are SOOO much better than the biaratric advantage powder that I was using.  I can drink these with no problem.  Now I wonder what to do with an $80 bag of powder.  :unsure:

Please check the nutritional panels on these two products. Ensure in Australia is a supplement specifically used for the malnourished and frail, although I'm not sure if the US version is the same. Here it is primarily used to put weight on sick people, and often the choice of supplement used for cancer sufferers and tube feeding. It is a high calorie meal replacement....exactly the opposite of what surgeon's want for their pre-surgery diets. If yours is similar to the product here then there is a high chance you'll be adding fat to your liver rather than reducing it.

19 hours ago, Aussie H said:

Please check the nutritional panels on these two products. Ensure in Australia is a supplement specifically used for the malnourished and frail, although I'm not sure if the US version is the same. Here it is primarily used to put weight on sick people, and often the choice of supplement used for cancer sufferers and tube feeding. It is a high calorie meal replacement....exactly the opposite of what surgeon's want for their pre-surgery diets. If yours is similar to the product here then there is a high chance you'll be adding fat to your liver rather than reducing it.

Good catch! It looks like there's a light version of ensure that's only 70 calories, so hopefully that's the one Kelly is using. That said, Kelly, if that is the version you're using, it looks to be pretty low on protein, so it may not be the best choice for post-op when it's a bit harder for most people to get their liquids in and you'll want the most "bang for your buck" per ounce. So just be sure to look at the labels and try to choose the higher protein option all things bring equal. But I'm really happy you found some protein shakes that you like! And yay for only be a few days out from your surgery date! So exciting!!!

On 2/13/2017 at 6:55 PM, Res Ipsa said:

You should try the Premier Protein ready made shakes - chocolate flavor - as they are pretty good. You can find four packs of them at Walgreens.  

Agree!!

Thanks! After reading the advice about the Ensure, I decided to just force down the Bariatric Advantage powder shakes.  Today I realized that I should have saved my whining for when I had to drink the magnesium citrate.   Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkk!!!!   I did get it all down though.  Surgery tomorrow!  

athenarose likes this

Best of luck tomorrow. I hope your surgery turns out to be completely uneventful.

kellyv93 likes this