flynhigh

Question about when to eat after Iron

Hi all.  I am 11 years post op RNY.  I got myself in a bind and stopped taking supplements and now I'm trying to get back to healthy levels.  I have searched for this answer but I just don't have time to read through all the posts.  I am currently on a lot of vitamins to get my levels back up.  I'm taking 5 celebrate chewable MV with calcium and 3 celebrate chewable with Iron+C a day.  I also take Colace 2x a day to try and help with constipation.   This is what my dr is recommending for now.  It's rather difficult to get all these in each day.  

First question is how much time before and after taking iron do I not eat?  I have always been one to do 6 small meals a day so it's been a challenge with the iron.  Mostly how long after taking it can I eat?  

This forum has been a godsend so thanks to all those out there that contribute! Tina

This is from medlineplus.gov:

Iron is absorbed the best on an empty stomach. Yet, iron supplements can cause stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea in some people. You may need to take ironwith a small amount of food to avoid this problem. Milk, calcium and antacids should NOT be taken at the same time as iron supplements.

In most cases, the best time to take iron supplements is about one hour before or two hours after meals.  Iron supplements are best taken with water on an empty stomach.