BariatricGalx97

first apointment for plastic surgery..what should i expect?

6 posts in this topic

...my doctor referred me to a surgeon to have excess skin removed.. what should i expect for my first apointment for plastic surgery ? and will they give me a surgery date the same day? is it a fast surgery date like in 2 or 4 weeks?...how was it for you? 

Good luck! It will depend on the surgeon you choose and how in demand they are. Mine was 3 months after the appointments (I also was sent to a therapist first, which is mandatory in Switzerland).  Be prepared for the doctor to ask you to undress and they will definitely put their hands on you in places (feeling the excess skin and stretching it). And the worst part for me, but certainly worth the embarrassment, were all the pictures they take of you half or fully-naked for insurance purposes.

Of course, this is only based on my one experience.

Edited by staraflur
BariatricGalx97 likes this

only person in this world with naked pictures of me (except me), is my doctor!

I had my surgeries in Luxembourg.  I just wanted a tummy tuck for the first surgery, but my doctor suggested the belt lipectomy which lifts you all the way around front and back.  I was cut in two!

For that first appointment, the doctor looked, touched, took pictures, sent me for blood tests and then it took 3 months from first appointment to surgery.  It took a little extra time since we had to wait for the insurance to approve the first surgery.  For the second surgery, the breast reduction, I paid for it myself so the surgery date was set immediately at that first appointment. 

These two surgeries were the best thing I ever did.  Yes, they were scary, esp before the surgery anybody would be nervous.  Then I worried constantly about proper healing and infection during recovery.  Fortunately it went very smoothly..  Even though I developed an infection a few weeks after the breast reduction, it was efficiently treated with antibiotics and frequent checks until it cleared up.

Surgery is not easy and we all know the risks. I suppose I was lucky and am super grateful for the improvements.  It has changed my life and the way I feel about me.  I never liked my body before.  I won't go so far as saying I love my body now, but I certainly don't hate it and - this is new - I like how I look in clothes.  I enjoy getting dressed.  I no longer feel like a freak.. .though you still won't find me naked in any gym locker room!

How was it for me? Totally humiliating. Stand naked and see my deformed body in a full wall mirror. Worse, to stand my naked deformed body in front of a man I had never met. Even worse to have him touch my deformed body. And worst of all to be completely naked and have him photograph me. 

But... when I went back after my surgery with my normal and beautiful body, well I could have ran around his entire office naked and showed everyone and anyone my body. How wonderful it was to not be ashamed any longer. 

Res Ipsa, Clickin, Alexa21 and 2 others like this

I saw my PS once. Liked him, went back for a 2nd appt and then called the next week to say I wanted surgery. I was on the fence until that point. I got my date about 3 weeks after that phone call. 

I didn't mind standing naked, being touched or photographed. They are doctors, it's their job. We feel the shame about how we look and what we did to our bodies. They don't see us the same way we see ourselves. 

Good Luck at your appointment! I'm thrilled with the results of my WLS and my plastics!

GAviv likes this

On 2/6/2017 at 6:01 PM, BariatricGalx97 said:

...my doctor referred me to a surgeon to have excess skin removed.. what should i expect for my first apointment for plastic surgery ? and will they give me a surgery date the same day? is it a fast surgery date like in 2 or 4 weeks?...how was it for you? 

I would recommend writing down all your questions ( I tend to forget what I want to ask once I get in the room) 

first the doctor came in and talked to me about what I wanted. He had a student which made it so much better (sarcasm) so there i am in my underwear with a gown on that is wide open with both men and the nurse looking at me and all my imperfections. Touching the skin and with each step telling me what he would do during the surgery, how much he would take off, were the scar would be, etc. then the nurse took pictures and I could finally get dressed. The surgeon told me all the info I would need to gather to submit to insurance for pre approval for surgery. Then the wait for insurance to approve or deny. Once that comes in then they contacted me to schedule the surgery. My surgeon was scheduled out about a month. 

Hope this helps