Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Abibliophobe

Afraid I'll regret it

4 posts in this topic

My dad keeps asking if I'm sure about surgery and if I'll be able to make the changes given the way I eat.  I know he's concerned but it's discouraging and I'm worried about regretting it when he asks.  

I know without the surgery I won't lose weight.  I want to have kids some day but I also want to be an active parent.  Being overweight makes the pregnancy high risk.

I know this is the best course of action but what if I can't do it? What if I get the surgery and I'm miserable or I'm one of those people that doesn't actually lose weight.  

The psychologist told me the only people that tend to have difficulty losing weight or who have a lot of complications (my mom had several vitamin related complications in the long run)  are people that don't follow the plan.  

I've made some changes during the weight management portion but not enough and I'm gonna go into it cold turkey pretty much.  

It was just so easy and convenient to cheat during weight management.  

I'll still go through with the surgery but as a person who has anxiety I constantly worry about what if I make a mistake.  

I'm also worried it will impact my relationship negatively.  We have our share of problems but we work through them and do what we can.  Every relationship has problems and I don't feel ours are big.  We love each other and he's relatively supportive.  I've asked him numerous times about it impacting our relationship and he says we'll deal with it.  

I think I'm overly nervous because it's my first surgery and it's also pretty life changing.  

My only regret is not doing it sooner!

I never really had any given diet on the 6 month pre op program; just told not to gain weight.  I had a food funeral the weekend before-haven't eaten those foods since.  Once I had surgery I pretty much did things by the book.  I knew it was my once in a lifetime chance..

good luck..

LeeC and Res Ipsa like this

You can do it if you follow the plan. 

Your taste buds will change, your likes and dislikes will change. You are going to be doing a complete withdrawal of sugar, soda, caffeine, high fat, and hopefully during that reset you will realize that you don't NEED those things. And the weight just drops off in the beginning. 

I think the people who don't stick with the plan think that surgery is a magic wand and it's going to resolve their psychological and emotional reasons for eating. It is just a tool! You have to want to give up your current relationship with food, and find other things to entertain yourself with, other things to comfort yourself with. You can do this! 

I just love that food doesn't control me anymore. I used to get so hungry. And now I'm just like having to remind myself to eat! Never thought I'd see the day!

shmooshy and Res Ipsa like this

It is life changing. For me, the changes were all for the better. Stick to the plan and look around here to see how many of us have been successful! Most people lose the weight and keep it off. Fears aren't facts. Keep talking to your partner. Your surgery and necessary changes after will impact him too. If you keep the lines of communication open, you will be fine. Good Luck!

Clickin and Res Ipsa like this