Goldwing_Jay

Surgery in 3 weeks - very hesitant and many questions!

I've gone though all the steps in preparation for surgery.  I am waiting on final approval from my insurance company. 

Honestly, with everything I've had to do, I'm at the point where if my insurance declines me, I'd be ok with it.  I just don't know if it is worth it.

I'm going through separation/divorce right now and I'm beyond stressed with that.  This is just another thing I mentally don't want to deal with. 

I'm pretty sure if I can put my mind to it, I can lose the weight.  I lost about 20-25 without trying too hard, but I do want something permanent.  And, I'm gonna be single soon, so being thinner always helps ;).  Honestly, that is my main motivation. 

Here are my questions/hesitations: 

- The post-op diet within the first 3 weeks is kind of scaring me.  It sounds like everyone struggles with water and protein.  How bad is it really? 

- How long should I take off of work?  I know I should ask my doctor this, but I'm wondering what every one else did.  I have an office job; non-physical.  

- I ride a motorcycle for long periods of time.  Anything surgery related that would hinder this? 

- Any other tips or words of encouragement would help.   I know I probably sound a little nuts...just a lot on my mind.  :unsure:

Many struggle with the water and protein.  I set an alarm and drank 2 oz every 15 minutes.  Protein shakes count as liquid.

2 weeks off should be good.  I went back to work after 9 days, I was bored stiff at home.  I'm on my feet all day.  

Tom on here (a regular), rides cycle and he is in his 60's.  

You can do it!  Follow your plan!  

Welcome! Here are my thoughts to your questions:

1. The post-op liquid diet is worth it if you're ready to change your life and your relationship with food. Your plan apparently calls for three weeks of liquid diet? If that's the case, you've got to look at it like, "what's three weeks in the scheme of my whole life?" 

2. Some people took off one week; I made sure I had two weeks off. People heal at different rates. If you have an office job you may be able to get away with one week, it depends.

3. Once you've healed, motorcycle riding should be no big deal. I'd wait a while though.

The biggest thing is you have got to be mentally and emotionally ready for the change WLS brings. You've got to have your head in the game because it's not a cakewalk.  Commitment to this new lifestyle is the key to success.

Good luck!

No, the surgery is in 3 weeks.  I start my liquid diet in 2 weeks.  I'm going to take the whole week, plus the weekend.  Essentially, 7 days off, but I could take more.  

I have no choice to wait on the motorcycle riding...I live in freakin' Chicago.  I usually take my first ride around the beginning of April. 

Thanks for the replies...keep 'em coming.  

6 hours ago, Goldwing_Jay said:

I have no choice to wait on the motorcycle riding...I live in freakin' Chicago.  I usually take my first ride around the beginning of April. 

That's what I was thinking;).

Most people are cleared for strenuous work outs by 6 weeks.  There are people who run mudders, lift weights, run marathons...once you're healed there is nothing you can't do.  In fact you might be surprised at what you can do once the weight comes off.  

I think many of us struggled with "maybe I can do it on my own".  Surgery is a big deal.  But after the fact, so many of us wish we had done it sooner.  

Your head needs to be in the lifestyle change.  So much of this is a head game.. Are you a stress eater?  For many the first few months are the hardest.  but for most it improves...if you aren't quite ready; call your insurance and see how long you have to do surgery until you have to repeat the pre op requirements...maybe giving yourself a couple of months to step back and take care of life...(mine was 6 months from the time I finished my pre op)...

Lois

Hey Jay, riding is no problem for me and I'm a long distance rider, 500 mile days are common. For the 6 weeks after WLS, I has always too tired to ride, and thankfully that problem never returned.

Welcome to Thinner Times Jay!

You've had some excellent replies and there isn't much I can offer other than to point out that there's nothing permanent about weight loss after bariatric surgery.  It can help you get to your goal but it will never keep you there if you start pushing the boundaries and revert to eating more and/or making poor choices.

3 hours ago, AdrianVV said:

Hi Jay! When is your surgery date? Looking forward to following your journey.

Scheduled for 2/20.  Trying to push it back to 2/22.  Thanks!