lulu8

6 Years Down!

Just about a week and 6 years ago, I made the decision to go through with gastric bypass surgery. At the ripe old age of 20, I wasn't sure I was making the right decision for the rest of my life but I knew it was the right decision for me at the time. January 13, 2011. I was pretty sure I was going to die as I walked myself into the operating room and climbed onto the cold bed. But I woke up, and started the next phase of my life! To this day, I have no regrets! As a college student at the time, I went back to classes just 5 days after my surgery. I packed my lunches of protein shakes and pureed soups. I dedicated myself to my studies and to myself that year. I promised myself that I was going to do everything I could to make a happier me. I knew I wanted to get my degree but I also wanted to shop at regular cloths stores again. As the months passed and the weight dropped off, I started noticing things that made me happier than any number on a scale could. I could fit into the desks in class again, and turn to the side to work in groups! I could sit in the lecture hall seats and use the swing up desks without it resting on my leg at an angle. I fit comfortably through the turn stile at the cafeteria. I felt my self becoming more "normal". An awesome bonus was my boyfriend who loved me at over 300 pounds continued to support me and love me without making excessive comments about the weight loss. He was happy that I was happy and, to this day, he tells me he always thought I was beautiful no matter what. So now let's fast forward 6 years. I have had skin removal surgery on my stomach, arms, and breast lift. Then graduated college and moved to San Diego. Got married, then engaged, and bought a house. I am so so so blessed that the gastic bypass saved my life and allows me to live like I do now! Also this whole journey was made possibleby my mother! She believed in me and knew that my weight was so much more than just I ate the wrong things. Without her, this process would have been 100x more difficult. My mother is my best friend and she made is possible to be friends for years longer than the road I was headed down. To anyone reading this, at any point in your journey, you are welcome to reach out if you have questions or just want support. This forum made the scary process of going into surgery so much easier for me. This forum gave me hope that it was all going to be ok on the other side! Cheers to all of us going through our adventures!

Old me.pngNew me.png

Edited by lulu8
duplicate picture

You are gorgeous. Congrats!

Congratulations on an amazing transformation lulu and happy 6th surgiversary!

How touching. Love your story thanks for sharing. 

Thank you ladies!

Awesome story. Very inspiring! :-)

Great story!   Thanks for sharing.