ktallon

Question about pregnancy

10 posts in this topic

Ok so I have not had my surgery just yet. I am still about 17 days away. However I have been doing some thinking. my doctor wants me to wait at least 24 months after surgery before getting pregnant. I do know for sure that I want at least one more child. However the time frame will put me at 30 years old when I can start trying. I am already considered high risk due to multiple miscarriages and my pregnancy with my son had a lot of complications. I am extremely concerned that waiting that long is not a good idea. I guess what I am really wondering is have any of you gotten pregnant around or after the age of 30? also would it really be terrible to try somewhat sooner than the 24 months? I just wanted some general advice I know the best thing is to discuss with surgeon/obgyn etc.

Obviously you have to do what is best for your specific situation and health. Your surgeon wants to give you the best chance possible at hitting goal. Pregnancy is much easier and healthier at a good weight. However, if you look on the pregnancy board here, you will see a number of people who had successful pregnancies much earlier than 24 months.

As to age, I can only speak to my experience, but I just had my third (and last :() 10 months ago a week before I turned 39. No pregnancy-related complications, and a very happy and healthy baby. I got pregnant about 3 years out from bypass. I had my first two younger and much heavier. 

One thing to consider is that you may not be as high risk as a non-obese person.  I thought most recommended waiting a year, but I don't really know.  Hopefully some on here who have experience in this will chime in.  I just want to say 30 is still plenty of time for pregnancy, don't stress about that.  Work with your OB/GYN and your surgeon, discuss your concerns with both and don't stress!!  You are going to rock your sleeve, and then you're going to rock your pregnancy and mommyhood :)

My surgeon's info suggests 18 months post surgery. I had both of my kids after the age of 30 and both of those pregnancies went fine. Now I think about it my first pregnancy which ended in an early miscarriage was at around the 12 month post surgery time. Back then though (and I'm talking nearly 31 years ago) we never got any post surgery advice so I never considered that the WLS would have even been in play.

4 hours ago, Aussie H said:

My surgeon's info suggests 18 months post surgery. I had both of my kids after the age of 30 and both of those pregnancies went fine. Now I think about it my first pregnancy which ended in an early miscarriage was at around the 12 month post surgery time. Back then though (and I'm talking nearly 31 years ago) we never got any post surgery advice so I never considered that the WLS would have even been in play.

My surgeon also recommends 18 months. I've heard of people getting pregnant way before that time frame and their babies were healthy. I cannot say how their weight loss journey has been though. I would stay in contact with the surgeon and when you feel physically good, I would ask him/her what they think. They likely have more stories of positive/negative experiences and that may be something to think about. 

I got pregnant 5 months post-RNY. I don't recommend it but everything ended up fine. Baby was/is healthy even though we were high risk, and my weight loss stalled but that was to be expected.

On 1/19/2017 at 3:48 PM, ktallon said:

Ok so I have not had my surgery just yet. I am still about 17 days away. However I have been doing some thinking. my doctor wants me to wait at least 24 months after surgery before getting pregnant. I do know for sure that I want at least one more child. However the time frame will put me at 30 years old when I can start trying. I am already considered high risk due to multiple miscarriages and my pregnancy with my son had a lot of complications. I am extremely concerned that waiting that long is not a good idea. I guess what I am really wondering is have any of you gotten pregnant around or after the age of 30? also would it really be terrible to try somewhat sooner than the 24 months? I just wanted some general advice I know the best thing is to discuss with surgeon/obgyn etc.

@ktallon I know this is an old thread but since we are friends, I figured I'd give my two cents. 

I never wanted children. Everyone who knows me knew I didn't want children. Then 40 approached and suddenly, I wanted a child. I struggled to get pregnant (infertility, miscarriage, diabetes) and had my daughter at 42. I was high risk and had a lot of health complications but I had excellent care. My daughter was born early via c-section because I had preeclampsia. She was a healthy baby and continues to be healthy to date. Having another child around 30 should be great! 

I hope you and your son are well. xo

I so understand what you are going tnrough. I am suppose to get my surgery date Sept 20th. I am 36 and my husband is 40. We  have 1 child, who is 15 and  want another one. So my dilemma is do I have a baby then the surgery or go ahead with the surgery as planned? I have already lost the 25 pounds and have done all the other requirements for my insurance. I am so confused and really stressed out about it. I am so afeaid if I go ahead witn my surfery something will happen and I will not have another child. But then I am so close and have worked so hard.

On 1/20/2017 at 4:48 AM, ktallon said:

I think your risks of pregnancy being obese are higher than the risk of a delay in having your next child.

It's not Yes I can get Pregnant Now versus No I can't get Pregnant Then. Your odds diminish somewhat. Ask about pregnancy success at age 28 versus 30. They are not much different. Get NUMBERS from your docs or through research. 

Your risk of accelerated or gestational hypertension in pregnancy is much higher being obese than not, and it kills women and their babies.  Can find no studies to say you shouldn't get pregnant at 12 months after WLS versus 24 months. Maybe am wrong, but would ask for real data and information, not a preference. 

Good luck, BB

2 hours ago, We3wimps said:

I so understand what you are going tnrough. I am suppose to get my surgery date Sept 20th. I am 36 and my husband is 40. We  have 1 child, who is 15 and  want another one. So my dilemma is do I have a baby then the surgery or go ahead with the surgery as planned? I have already lost the 25 pounds and have done all the other requirements for my insurance. I am so confused and really stressed out about it. I am so afeaid if I go ahead witn my surfery something will happen and I will not have another child. But then I am so close and have worked so hard.

For some reason a similar post of yours on this subject is under your personal profile, so I posted there. 

Less than 1% of people maintain their weight loss from dieting. That is why surgery is the only scientifically proven way identified to lose weight. If diets worked you would be slim, I would be slim, and so would everyone else on the Forum. :rolleyes: Fighting your genes, your body which is screaming because it thinks you are starving to death, and your set point .... doesn't work. 

Be cold blooded. Your emotions and fear are talking loud. The risks of surgery are low and it works. The risks of obesity are high and the odds of a diet working are nil. If you had a slow-growing cancer that would statistically knock 10 years off your life you wouldn't think twice about having surgery to remove the tumor. Obesity knocks more than 10 years off your life and diets don't work. Surgery does. Hmmm... 

Readytobeme and Jen581791 like this