Mern

Anyone want to be my buddy!

11 posts in this topic

My surgery is scheduled for 1/23/17.....5 days away! I would LOVE an upbeat, positive thinker as an accountability buddy. I think attitude is at least 50% of this journey and I'm not in need of debbie downers - I need positive patty's!

LET ME KNOW :)

TJohnson likes this

Although I am too busy with my day job to be your day to day buddy on your weight loss surgery journey (sorry), I want you to know that if you stick to the high protein low calorie diet plan from your surgeon, drink lots and lots of no calorie liquids, do not smoke (or abuse alcohol), take your vitamins every day, and maintain an active lifestyle (I like long walks, other people like to go to the gym), you will lose lots of weight.  In fact, with a gastric bypass there is no reason that you cannot reach your goal weight and be able to maintain long term at that weight.  This does require having a "new relationship with food" in which food is not a source of comfort and is consumed in healthy amounts, but this new relationship should come to you in the months after your surgery.  It really is not that hard.  Is that positive enough?

More positive thinking - look at these healthy people who used their weight loss surgeries to become healthy, thin and active:

Still more positive thinking - check out all the wonderful "NSV" joys that come with weight loss:

Even more positive thinking - check out the many before and after photos in this forum, including these ones:

Finally, check out my weight loss history (in case anyone tells you that you cannot lose all your excess weight and keep it off with a gastric bypass):

weight.png

Mern likes this

One more thing, a huge support to me in the early months and thereafter was watching the YouTube videos from this woman. Funny. Insightful. Very helpful. Uplifting. Great cameos from her husband. Be sure to start from the beginning. 

https://m.youtube.com/user/Millabee67?feature=watch

Mern and Waisting like this

THANK YOU! That helps A LOT!!!!

Res Ipsa likes this

How are you doing Mern?

AdrianVV likes this

I am doing VERY well! Surgery went great - I had virtually NO pain other than a little gas. I did have bad nausea for the first day and a half but that was divine intervention. I was supposed to go home the day after surgery, and that was the day a blizzard decided to put a bulls eye on my little town that was 90 miles from the hospital. Since I was so nauseous, the could not upgrade me to full liquids and I could not go home. THANKFULLY because I would have had to go to a hotel. THAT would have been MISERABLE! I had my 2 week check up yesterday - upgraded me to puree. So far everything has gone down and sat in my tummy just fine! No physical restrictions so I need to get a boost of energy and start doing more than walking on the boring treadmill!

Waisting and Res Ipsa like this

That's wonderful news Mern - welcome to the losers bench.

Waisting and Mern like this

1 minute ago, Mern said:

I am doing VERY well! Surgery went great - I had virtually NO pain other than a little gas. I did have bad nausea for the first day and a half but that was divine intervention. I was supposed to go home the day after surgery, and that was the day a blizzard decided to put a bulls eye on my little town that was 90 miles from the hospital. Since I was so nauseous, the could not upgrade me to full liquids and I could not go home. THANKFULLY because I would have had to go to a hotel. THAT would have been MISERABLE! I had my 2 week check up yesterday - upgraded me to puree. So far everything has gone down and sat in my tummy just fine! No physical restrictions so I need to get a boost of energy and start doing more than walking on the boring treadmill!

Great news and welcome to the losers bench! :)

Mern likes this

Great news, I had my VSG the week before you (1/18/17).... Keep up the good work!
This place (thinnertimes) is a treasure trove of great people with a lot of wonderful advice, I learn something new every time I log on.

Res Ipsa likes this

Mern, how are you doing?  The first few weeks can be rough, but then it usually gets a lot better. We are here to support you!

Been a while since I've logged in! I'm doing great. I'm 7 weeks out - Water and protein going in - no issues with any food so far. I'm not testing things I'm not supposed to have. Head hunger is not nice and I think that TV should ban food commercials.

I'm not doing well with exercise. I love to walk and do so when the weather cooperates but it's still very much winter here...and the treadmill bores me to death. I'll get there, that is usually the hardest thing for me to do and it proves no different this time.

Res Ipsa likes this