SouthJerseySleever

Workout Routine BEFORE surgery = faster recovery?

5 posts in this topic

New here! I had my initial consultation yesterday and while I asked a ton of questions, I'm realizing I left some important questions out. I'm looking for some real world experience anyway, so here I am.

I have been working out 3-4 days a week for 2 years. I started with a personal trainer and then moved to Crossfit. I want to keep my workout routine in place up until surgery day (which is still 3+ months away). I don't have to worry about losing weight and no longer qualifying (I've been Crossfitting for 1.5 yrs and haven't lost more than 10 lbs, though I've made significant improvements in my strength and energy levels). In my mind if I stop now then it will be near impossible to get back into it post-surgery. I'm actually hoping that it will help my recovery time, too.

So, that leads to my question -- were any of you working out regularly prior to surgery? Do you think you rebounded faster because of it? Were you able to jump right back in to your routine?

Crossfit is VERY scale-able and I'm hoping to get back to class within 4-6 weeks post-op. Just trying to see if that is at ALL realistic.

My advice - take your honeymoon period following surgery to work on changing your eating habits and to get down to as lean as you possibly can. I work out 3-4 nights a week and run as well, I would not rush the process and am anxious to see what others have for advice.

Working out before surgery is great, but after your surgery you will need to skip working out for a while as your body needs to recover from major surgery. Remember that exercise after weight loss surgery is important for body tone and mental health, but has very little to do with weight loss rates. 

cinwa likes this

On 1/17/2017 at 9:22 AM, SouthJerseySleever said:

New here! I had my initial consultation yesterday and while I asked a ton of questions, I'm realizing I left some important questions out. I'm looking for some real world experience anyway, so here I am.

I have been working out 3-4 days a week for 2 years. I started with a personal trainer and then moved to Crossfit. I want to keep my workout routine in place up until surgery day (which is still 3+ months away). I don't have to worry about losing weight and no longer qualifying (I've been Crossfitting for 1.5 yrs and haven't lost more than 10 lbs, though I've made significant improvements in my strength and energy levels). In my mind if I stop now then it will be near impossible to get back into it post-surgery. I'm actually hoping that it will help my recovery time, too.

So, that leads to my question -- were any of you working out regularly prior to surgery? Do you think you rebounded faster because of it? Were you able to jump right back in to your routine?

Crossfit is VERY scale-able and I'm hoping to get back to class within 4-6 weeks post-op. Just trying to see if that is at ALL realistic.

Sorry I am just seeing this now.

Yes, I worked out regularly before surgery and had for years. I did circuit training with a personal trainer once a week as well as cardio and lifting another 2 - 3 times a week. I believe my recovery was shorter and I bounced back faster because I'd been working out. I was back in the gym with my trainer 4 weeks after surgery and it didn't take me long to ramp back up to where I was and then surpass it. I hold off on serious ab work until week 5 though - just to be on the safe side. 

I worked out before surgery for years. I took 4 weeks off from anything other than walking, 6 weeks off all weights to recover from surgery and I eased back in. By easing back in, I mean I lifted a little lighter and I ran a little slower or shorter. By the time I was about 12 weeks post op, I was back to and better than normal because I was lighter. 

I'm three years out. Lost 100 pounds. Run 2 marathons and average about 30 miles a week, lift twice a week, and swim, bike too. I spend about the same amount of time working out as I did before, I just lift heavier and go further now!

Stephtay likes this