PookieRay

Right Lower Abdomen Stinging Pain less 1wk postop

9 posts in this topic

Hello! I'm new on here. Found out of desperation! My laparoscopic went to full midline open bypass. 

im 5 days post op, saw surgeon today, answer was it's normal, keep moving, cut back on pain meds, drink more water.

no way. I was like a flipped turtle trying to get up at 130 this AM. The worst pain is not at the midline incision, but RLQ abdomen. It's like a huge bee sting, a hot poker, but it's excruciating  I'm no wimpy lady.... this is kicking my butt! 

Less s the fact that every swallow of liquids sets off spasms and makes my whole chest hurt, it's the only "bad" pain. I'm seriously, seriously in excruciating pain. (Happens at standing, walking, shifting.... anything but sitting still) 

Its not gallbladder or appendix, she said " that's where I sewed you up at"  ....... 

Anyone else experience this? How long till it resolved? Any tricks in relieving pain? (Belly band help, but doesn't resolve) 

Thanks for any help / advice 

Narcotic pain meds, abdominal binder, heating pad and a recliner chair are the best ideas I can offer. My original surgery was an open surgery, as will be my revisional surgery. The surgeon told me last week that a binder doesn't actually do anything, but I beg to differ. I found my binder invaluable after my open hysterectomy a couple of years ago, and it has already been dug out for this surgery. I would advise against wearing one 24/7 as they do restrict blood flow to the healing area, but I found wearing one to bed at least made turning over bearable.

PookieRay likes this

Welcome!

I had one incision (lap. RNY) that caused a problem for several weeks post-op.  It healed well but the searing, stinging pain took my breath away.  I mentioned it on my first follow-up but my surgeon wasn't concerned.

Apparently, sharp, stinging, cramping, tearing, stabbing, burning, tingling post surgical pain/discomfort is not usual and it generally goes after a few days but for some (me included), it can linger a little longer than we'd like.  It's caused by injury to the skin, muscles, and nerves and can happen with laparoscopic and open surgery.

Rubbing in small, circular motions, pressing firmly with the tips of your fingers (dipped a bit of oil if your incision has healed) can help a lot if you do it regularly.

Walking, stretching and side-to-side bending (with your arms raised) can be helpful - just it slowly and regularly.

As far as liquids are concerned, to this day (and I'm over 9 years post-op), I can't drink plain water or anything colder than room temperature.

Warm herbal and fruit teas are worth trying  (I like Celestial Seasonings).

PookieRay likes this

My surgeon prescribed Hyoscamine for the spasm/chest pains.  It helped a ton. 

Just try to keep moving as much as possible. Stasis is not helpful to recovery. 

Thank you all! I had a huge turn around today. Went in again and she drained about 30cc's of fluid. I'm sure that helped, but the biggest help was while I was on the table, she and her nurse did my belly binder, laying at in incline, not fully flat, and they did it pretty snug! I was standing when I put it on previously and hubby helped, but laying down, strapped it all where it needed to be vs just not letting it jiggle! 

I wear a tank top (to try and keep the binder clean), then the binder, then my old medium firm spanx type tank top to keep my band from slipping and added support and pin my drain to the tank and then my shirt.

i can not tell you how much better it feels! I don't know if it's the fluid or the placement change of the band or BOTH, but I've cut my Percocet use in half today and tonight. Still sleeping in the recliner and having sporadic sleeping hours, but starting to see the light at the tunnel for sure! 

I took my tank off for bed, left the band on, honestly I'm kind of scared to take it off! I know I need to, but I'm scared. LOL I guess we will see how the morning showering goes!! 

Hubby went and got me soup/broth and then 3 different types of herbal tea to try.... they are MUCH easier and almost snack like!!! I also started using the hycosomine (sp) she gave me and it does help! I didn't know that was for "spasm". I hadn't even touched the RX she'd given me for it. I think I was so consumed by the pain and foggy from the pills. Ugh. Silly. 

i cant say enough, when I was out in the living room, alone, in pain, in the middle of the night..... how just reading similar, being able to post here and seek help (before it even came) made me feel not so alone..... Thank you. From my heart. ((((Hugs))))

Edited by PookieRay
Clickin, AB2B and Ficklemom like this

PookieRay, I've always lay on the bed to put a binder on. I can't even imagine trying to get a good fit while standing up. Unfortunately you do need to find times when you don't wear it though. My surgeon says they really don't do anything to support your wound closure, but agrees that they probably do make life seem more comfortable for the patient. Clearly I'm not going to be given one in hospital, but I will have one waiting for me when I leave.

It's helped my pain a LOT! Where I had a previous GYN surgery and for diverticulosis, she said the scar tissue mas massive and attached to everything and it took her 8 hours of separating organs and scar tissue to get where she needed to be. (Sad face here) So I think there's a lot of painful movements from newly freed and bruised organs. 

I got to happy with it and had hubby help me do it this morning before he left, but was WAY to tight. Felt Victorian. I did have to take it off for a while. I won't wear it tonight and will give it some more breathing room. I know I need to. *sigh* 

Also, here, some medical devices (this band, walking canes, diabetic supplies....) called DME Durable Medical Equipment, is  covered by your insurance. This is accomplished by either having the doctor write a prescription from their actual office and filling out forms and sending it to a durable medical equipment provider, or  they can order it at the hospital. Most would rather utilize hospital staff to keep their office from being overworked. So maybe ask them: should I contact your office for a prescription or could you order one at discharge?  Good Luck!!!  (Happy face here) 

Edited by PookieRay

I'm in Australia, using the public hospital system, so unfortunately your information won't help me, but might well help others here who see your post. I have a great binder (although admittedly a bit large) that I bought a couple of years ago prior to my TAH BSO. I originally bought mine from the US, and by jolly your sizing is so much more generous than ours. I also have "diffuse" diverticulosis, but the real concern is the previous open abdominal gastroplasty. Adhesions are going to be a nightmare for me, hence the surgeon's decision to straight up go open on the bypass surgery. He's kidding himself if he thinks a binder isn't going to be a part of my post surgery routine, and I've already discussed this with him. I live alone and hours away from any family, so I need whatever it takes to keep me as independent and mobile as possible at home. I just can't have it in the hospital setting.

Your surgical situation sound a lot like mine! Just reversed. I had surgery due to diverticulosis 3 years ago. With my bypass, she said the scar tissue or adhesions were what made it so hard on me. She kept using the phrase "you had a LOT of surgery!" 

What's scary to me, if we ARE going to have similar pain, cuz honey..... I'm a tough ol' farm gal. Strong. Worked my whole life. I'm no Nancy. I absolutely HATE asking for help. BUT.... there is no way on Gods green earth I could've done this alone. Once I sleep to long and pass the pain meds schedule..... sometime even IF on time.... I could not stand and 1000% couldn't LAY down at all. Slept sitting up. Tried to lay down, hurt yo do it, then was  excruciating pain trying to get up. At least with help I got up and the pain ended. I beg you to find someone for at least a day to help you set up the unforeseen and test /evaluate your situation. 

Also, the binder combined with a cheap $12 compression tank top I found to be the magical combo for me.   

I wish you all the best and hope the surgery and healing go smooth and quickly for you. 

Aussie H likes this