Prp984

How soon after surgery do I start to exercise?

5 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! I'm about 5 days post-op and feel that I should be exercising. I only have access to an elliptical trainer as I live on a farm by the highway.

I'm very weak and tired still so I'm not sure how much I can actually exercise. But I feel that I should be doing something. And maybe by doing some exercise I will give me more energy...?

It was walking only for me until cleared by the surgeon.  That was at the 6 week mark, I believe?  Still no abdominal work until several months if I remember correctly.

Your surgeon's office should be able to advise you, but I'm guessing they will say walking only for a while.  You just had major surgery less than a week ago!

I lost about 160 pounds with zero exercise, weight loss is primarily about what you put in your mouth. I'm not naysaying fitness, it's just that it has far more to do with cardio/vascular fitness and practically nothing to do with weight loss.

LeeC likes this

i totally agree with TMCGEE, i lost 100 pounds without exercise aswell, it does depend on what you eat mostly :) if you exercise itll be a bonus because you won't have your skin sagging, I currently have loose skin now... lol

LeeC likes this

Exercising will also give you energy yes, when i had surgery i was tired and dizzy aswell for 5 months..and found out it was low blood sugar.. My doctors recommended me 8 weeks out of surgery i can start exercising, depends how you feel, just keep drinking your protein and eating well, try planning a meal schedule because since your probably gonna be too nauseous to eat it will help you atleast get your food in even when your not that hungry, (sinceyou need to eat) lol