Alane

Trouble Eating

6 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I'm new to the group. I'm on week 5 post op GBP, and I still struggle to eat most things. I have given up on the protein shakes/drinks; they are so gross to me and they make my stomach quite upset. I know I'm not getting enough protein, or food for that matter. I made a low sodium/calorie, high protein soup, but even that caused stomach cramps. Is it normal to still have quite a bit of trouble eating? While I'm not very hungry, I know the lack of food cannot be healthy, and could possibly be hindering my weight loss. Has anyone else dealt with these issues?

Welcome. Keep on trying different high protein foods that are low in calories until you find foods that you like and that sit well in your stomach. Some ideas - Greek yoghurt (nonfat and flavored), jello instant pudding no sugar added made with your own skim milk, Carnation light start (the chocolate flavor is yummy) made with your own skim milk, chili con carne, deli meats like turkey breast or roast beef (chew these very well), baked fresh fish, turkey or chicken meatballs, chicken sausages, healthy non-cream based soup, healthy stews, cheese (in moderation), reduced fat corned beef hash, and tuna or chicken salad made with very little low fat mayo. 

Make sure to drink lots of water or no (or very low) calorie drinks, and to take your vitamins. 

It should get a lot better in a few weeks. 

Alane, I can't add anything to what Res Ipsa has posted - I just wanted to welcome you to Thinner Times.

Welcome to TT.  I had problems with the regular protein drinks for a long time after surgery.  I did find Atkins Lift protein drink (20 protein, 1 carb in 16 oz), it comes in Lemon, Orange and Berry.  Things will improve, now I can drink proteins like Premier Protein (30 protein, 5 carb) and even Muscle Mile Pro (40 protein, 10 carb) for the days when I can't get all my protein needs met.

Edited by LeeC

Alane - have you tried plant based protein powder?  

I had to drop whey protein for a while - I used Nature's Plus Spiru-Tein® - it's one of my favourites although you have to be careful with how much you have per day because it's packed with vitamins and minerals (pretty much 100% of most).

cinwa, I have not, I didn't realize there was such a thing. I have discovered that ALL whey protein makes me feel nauseous. I have tried many different brands. I struggle to tolerate the taste, but when I do, I end up not feeling well for most of the day. I will look up plant-based protein right now. Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I appreciate it so very much.

Edited by Alane