DaniLiz

Will WLS make it EASIER to exercise?

20 posts in this topic

Is it a safe expectation that being lighter may make working out not as frustrating as before? (Will it be easier to be in Yoga and Step classes) - Anyone tried this pre and post opp and have an opinion. I'm so curious.

Caspian likes this

Any form of exercise pre my WLS was a difficult, exhausting and at times, a painful experience.

Losing weight (and I lost 50% of my total weight) made any form of movement/exertion so much easier and being realistic, any form of movement without carting around an additional 130+ pounds of excess baggage could only make it so.

Even down to a simple thing like getting off the floor without having to crawl to a piece of furniture to help me get up was a total revelation.  

Quite simply, yes. 

Think about the burdens of extra weight. For example, I have lost about 130 pounds - which is about the weight of three heavy suitcases. Thus, now when I walk, exercise, enjoy yoga, take out the trash, or do anything else, it is without having also to "carry" three heavy suitcases full of fat on me. 

Pincushion and LeeC like this

Even at my biggest, I loved doing 5K's and the occasional jog, but no matter how hard I pushed my body I could never get passed the 12 minute mile average (sometimes 13). 80 pounds lighter and I did a 9 minute mile like nothing the other day and I didn't feel like I was dying! Exercise DEFINANTLY gets way easier!

BeachGirl, DaniLiz and amandr like this

It is definitely easier and part of why I got my sleeve. I wanted to be able to play with my niece and still breathe! 

LeeC and DaniLiz like this

I could only walk just a few blocks before having to rest because my lower back killed me so bad (too much weight hanging off the front).  Now I walk miles and miles and miles with little effort or thought.

Its a world of difference in any form of movement.

LeeC likes this

To follow up on my post, losing weight will make exercise easier physically but being lighter doesn't automatically give everyone the motivation to put a lot of effort into regular exercise.

Thankfully, I love walking and do it every day (treadmill) but anything more than that and I struggle to get myself motivated.  I do a bit of yoga and/or pilates most days but that's mostly to fend off back and joint issues - not because I particularly like doing it.

tkk54915 likes this

On 1/22/2017 at 0:10 PM, Caspian said:

Even at my biggest, I loved doing 5K's and the occasional jog, but no matter how hard I pushed my body I could never get passed the 12 minute mile average (sometimes 13). 80 pounds lighter and I did a 9 minute mile like nothing the other day and I didn't feel like I was dying! Exercise DEFINANTLY gets way easier!

Hey Caspian! I am pre-op and have done a few half marathons, but have the same issue (can't break 13min/mile). Do you run long distances now? I'm concerned about having enough carbs/energy post-op to fuel a half or full marathon. How has running been since surgery?

Oh my goodness, yes.  I tried an elliptical once before surgery.  I struggled to make it 30 seconds (at a really slow pace) before my legs gave out.  Now I usually do 30-40 min at a time (could do more, it's just a time constraint before work).  I had a terrible time walking up stairs.  Now I can run up at least 4-5 flights before I get at all winded.  I definitely didn't run before surgery, and got quite winded walking.  A lot of walking would do my back, knees, and feet in.  Now I walk and/or run daily, I run 5 and 10k's, and am starting to train for a couple half marathons (so I'm coming back for that info on fueling!) I also hit the gym usually 4 days a week for cardio and strength training.  

Just like anything else, you have to work to make exercise a healthy habit.  

LeeC likes this

YES!

I worked out a lot at 300 pounds. I could not run, do push ups, multiple yoga poses or anything like the versa climber or the stair master for more than a minute or two. Taking weight off makes a big difference. But, your size will change too which also makes a difference. I could not properly do child's pose because my belly was too big. 

On 3/1/2017 at 2:02 PM, amandr said:

Hey Caspian! I am pre-op and have done a few half marathons, but have the same issue (can't break 13min/mile). Do you run long distances now? I'm concerned about having enough carbs/energy post-op to fuel a half or full marathon. How has running been since surgery?

I ran before surgery. Half marathons and was slow. Now I've run two marathons and am on pace to run a sub 2 hour half (which is literally half the time it took me to run my first half). Improving is so much faster as you lose weight! 

As far as fueling for distances, I have done really well with quest bars or protein shake and toast for breakfast. I also do protein with carbs when I run if I need something, because I don't do well with just straight carbs. 

amandr likes this

On 1/10/2017 at 10:59 AM, DaniLiz said:

Is it a safe expectation that being lighter may make working out not as frustrating as before? ...........

I carried around another person pre-WLS.  I lost 130 lb - half my starting weight - I couldn't even get up off the floor without having to crawl to a piece of furniture to help me to my feet. 

On 3/21/2017 at 0:32 PM, createchange said:

I ran before surgery. Half marathons and was slow. Now I've run two marathons and am on pace to run a sub 2 hour half (which is literally half the time it took me to run my first half). Improving is so much faster as you lose weight! 

As far as fueling for distances, I have done really well with quest bars or protein shake and toast for breakfast. I also do protein with carbs when I run if I need something, because I don't do well with just straight carbs. 

Thanks so much for the info! My quickest half was 3:27 so cutting an hour off of that would be absolutely amazing. Great job!

When does the energy level increase? I am 8 days post op and I try walking in the evenings but my body feels so slow and heavy. 20lbs down but my limbs feel heavier than before because low nutrition I suppose.

It can take a few weeks for a person to return to their pre-surgery energy levels. Remember that your body is recovering from major surgery, and you are on a low calorie diet. Hang in there. It will get better soon.  

Physically, yes....as a habit, still detest it

Res Ipsa likes this

Losing weight made exercise much much easier. I workout pretty religiously. Walking briskly on the treadmill used to get my heart rate up to 120+ really fast. I have to run now to get my heart rate up that high.

On 4/7/2017 at 11:37 PM, Jabsie said:

Losing weight made exercise much much easier. I workout pretty religiously. Walking briskly on the treadmill used to get my heart rate up to 120+ really fast. I have to run now to get my heart rate up that high.

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to figure that out the other day. I can't get my heart rate that high so easily anymore either. My elliptical isn't nearly as challenging as it was before. I need to use it more!!!! My biggest frustration is um everything. - lol. vitamins and tracking food/water intake.. I never know when to eat and i hate timing when I can drink, so I made today a shake day - so I knew I could drink water whenever I wanted. Thanks for listening :) ~d

Jabsie likes this

22 minutes ago, DaniLiz said:

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to figure that out the other day. I can't get my heart rate that high so easily anymore either. My elliptical isn't nearly as challenging as it was before. I need to use it more!!!! My biggest frustration is um everything. - lol. vitamins and tracking food/water intake.. I never know when to eat and i hate timing when I can drink, so I made today a shake day - so I knew I could drink water whenever I wanted. Thanks for listening :) ~d

I hear ya. It definitely takes getting used to. For the first while, it felt like a full time job to keep up with everything but after a while I learned tricks to simplify it. Eventually, most of it became habitual. Here are a few tricks....some of which you've probably already figured out :-)

• Get yourself one or two water bottles that you really like and will use. I highly recommend the Camelbak bite bottle. I can't tell you what it is about it that makes getting in the fluids easier, but it does.
  • Figure out how many times you need to fill and drink your bottle to get in the required amount of daily fluids. If I drink 4 of mine a day, I know I've gotten in what I need. 4 is a lot easier to keep track of then a specific number of ounces.
  • Use only what goes into this bottle to calculate your total oz of fluid for the day.
  • If you use MyFitnessPal, try creating recipes in 'My Recipes' so that you can save a little time and aggravation when tracking your food. Most of us eat a lot of the same thing in the beginning any way.
  • Get a pillbox and fill it once a week. I have one of those big ones that has a compartment for AM, noon, PM, and bedtime. Each day is a separate cartridge so I can take it out and pop it in my purse. It's not the most glamorous thing in the world but it prevents me from having to rifle through the bottles every time I have to take a dose.
Trish13 and DaniLiz like this

19 hours ago, Jabsie said:

I hear ya. It definitely takes getting used to. For the first while, it felt like a full time job to keep up with everything but after a while I learned tricks to simplify it. Eventually, most of it became habitual. Here are a few tricks....some of which you've probably already figured out :-)

• Get yourself one or two water bottles that you really like and will use. I highly recommend the Camelbak bite bottle. I can't tell you what it is about it that makes getting in the fluids easier, but it does.
  • Figure out how many times you need to fill and drink your bottle to get in the required amount of daily fluids. If I drink 4 of mine a day, I know I've gotten in what I need. 4 is a lot easier to keep track of then a specific number of ounces.
  • Use only what goes into this bottle to calculate your total oz of fluid for the day.
  • If you use MyFitnessPal, try creating recipes in 'My Recipes' so that you can save a little time and aggravation when tracking your food. Most of us eat a lot of the same thing in the beginning any way.
  • Get a pillbox and fill it once a week. I have one of those big ones that has a compartment for AM, noon, PM, and bedtime. Each day is a separate cartridge so I can take it out and pop it in my purse. It's not the most glamorous thing in the world but it prevents me from having to rifle through the bottles every time I have to take a dose.

Well - I bought a Camelbak water bottle last month and still haven't used it.

I have a medicine thing just like that 28 compartments. 4x7days -- I'm just annoyed that I really need to take meds 5+ times a day to get all my calcium in. I'm still trying to figure that out. And I wish mine had parts that would come out! mine is like the size of a binder. 

I am currently taking 4 calcium chews a day (pills were too big), 2 multi's with iron, 1 B-50 and 1 B-12 per day.. plus all my other medications.. it's the timing of the calcium and multi's that is also overwhelming.