annamay22

Chicken salad made with cottage cheese (little mayo)

Has anyone tried chicken salad made with cottage cheese and little or no mayo?

Does it taste good? How's the texture? I'm a very texture sensitive eater. BTW, I do like plain cottage cheese.

I'm still pre-op, but would like to try this.

But why?

I don't eat meat but I love salmon or shrimp salad (with chopped celery and capers).  Cottage cheese just wouldn't give that tang that mayo does.

Hellmann's, Real Mayonnaise = 100 cals. per TBS and 11g fat.  Hellmann's, Light Mayonnaise 35 cals, 0 fat.

9 hours ago, JulieW said:

But why?

I guess I want to try it because it would be a lot of protein and much lower in fat.

I've seen recipes for it online, but they never discuss the texture and hardly discuss the taste.

3 minutes ago, annamay22 said:

I guess I want to try it because it would be a lot of protein and much lower in fat.

I've seen recipes for it online, but they never discuss the texture and hardly discuss the taste.

No harm in trying it, though it's simple carbs that are the killer for most of us, not the fat.

5 minutes ago, annamay22 said:

The protein remains the same but chicken (or salmon or shrimp in my case) salad without the tang of mayo just doesn't cut it for me.

Yes, I make BLT chicken salad with just cottage all the time.  Instead of stuffing it in the avacado, I just mix the avacado in as well.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/473440979559879156/

If it is the tangy factor you are missing -  you can sub plain greek yogurt instead of cottage.  Still high protein but has that tang.

Edit:  I eat high fat, moderate protein

Edited by Jolls