scarlet-amelia

couch to 5K

16 posts in this topic

I'm trying to lose the last 25 pounds to get to goal, and so I decided to up my activity level. I thought it would be good to try a couch to 5K program. I got an app, and started today. The program for week 1 is 5 minute warm up... then 1 minute run, 1 minute walk, 1 minute run, 1 minute walk, etc... for a total of 6 running intervals. I made 5 of the running intervals, but then had to quit.. I just couldn't do another interval.

My chest felt like it was going to explode!  I was gasping for breath, and I just couldn't do it anymore. And, very unexpectedly, I came home and promptly threw up. I can't believe I'm in that bad of shape!  I mean, I'm an active person. I walk, I bike ride, I hike, I do "river walking", kayaking, sailing. I have extensive landscaping, so I do a ton of physical labor in my yard. How could I be THAT out of shape?!?!?

Now I am afraid to try it again. I really wanted to do this. 

Can anyone give me some tips?  encouragement?  anyone start a program like this, and failed so miserably the first time?  I'm really feeling discouraged. 

vsgguy and Jabsie like this

I did this program and the first week was so hard! One thing I had to do was extend my first week into the second and spend more time getting my body used to the rhythm of running. Learning to control my breathing during the early stages was key. Keep going with the program!

It's incredible, but it is 4 hours later, and I still feel horrible. and I checked my blood pressure and pulse and they are still elevated from normal. 

Vaultgirl, have you continued with running?  and did you ever make the 5K distance?  did it ever get easier, or enjoyable?  I see women running around town who are MUCH bigger than me, and they seem to be doing fine. How is it possible that a heavier person could do well with running? I also had a friend from work who competed in triathlons, and I swear to you, he was 100-150 pounds overweight. This is incredible to me. And I can't even go 6 1 minute intervals?!  

How many times a week did you run?  I think this particular app is 3 times a week. Do you think that is enough?

It did get easier but I remember that first week was super hard. I remember feeling sick the first day and wondering if I would breathe normally again. I took a full month to reach 5k and it wasn't easy the first time I did it. I thought I'd die about half way but did it anyway. I ran for about a year 3 or 4 times a week. Then I hurt myself by pulling a muscle and had to stop running. I miss it and the runners high I used to get after the first  5 minutes were over. I did this when I was about 185 lbs and I am heavier now.

Remember, running slow is still running! You don't have to go all out but pace it so you can keep going. I liked Hal Higdon's plan, I walked it and stretched it to ten weeks, but it worked. Good luck!

Vaultgirl72 and BeachGirl like this

16 minutes ago, KMFL28 said:

Remember, running slow is still running! You don't have to go all out but pace it so you can keep going. I liked Hal Higdon's plan, I walked it and stretched it to ten weeks, but it worked. Good luck!

This is it, maybe you ran too fast, a slow jog would work. Also there is great support groups for people just getting into it.

For me....I've tried the treadmill version and just cant even run for 1 minute without it feeling like my lungs will explode.  But its something I really want to do!

11 hours ago, KMFL28 said:

Remember, running slow is still running! You don't have to go all out but pace it so you can keep going. 

LOL!!!  I brought one of my Pekingese with me because she has a weight issue as well. And that little dog didn't even break into a fast walk!  So, I was going pretty slow. :) 

KMFL28 likes this

I started running again when I was 250 pounds. The first 1 minute intervals were very, very hard. I think the first time I ran for 6 straight minutes I went less than half a mile and I did vomit. I got to the point of being able to run for 1 minute intervals by doing incline work on the treadmill. There are some great incline workouts on pinterest, but even something as simple as 3-4mph at 6-8+% incline at the run section, week 1 and 2  of couch to 5k for a is a great base. 

I think it is worth it to give the entire program a try. If you hate running after you do your first full 5k, maybe try something else. But I don't know of too many people that put the work in and get to the finish line that don't like it enough to do it again.

This past weekend I did an indoor triathlon and ran 2.4 miles in 20 minutes. I did two marathons in two weeks this fall. I am a running machine now. And when I go more than a day or so without a run, I feel sick. Sick like I did the first time I ran so hard I vomited. 

Vaultgirl72 and vsgguy like this

Years ago I joined a running group that had different subgroups.  Each subgroup did different intervals of running depending on your comfort level.  You could move between groups if you chose to do it was a neat way to have easy and hard days mixed into your workouts. One group of brand new runners ran 15 seconds and walked 45 at the beginning. At the end of the six weeks that same group was still alternating between running and walking for a minute each.  I personally don't think it's productive to kill yourself trying to do too much. Yes you want a challenge but it's better IMO to have balance and consistency.  If the couch to 5k is too much dilute the intervals to where you feel comfortable and then work up from there.  

I have a buddy who has been very overweight her whole life who regularly runs half marathons, and does triathalons all over the country.  She just competed her first marathon and plans to do more. She's almost 55. I personally don't think weight/size is an indicator of fitness.  

Running is serious cardio. If you aren't used to that it will take a while for your body to adjust. GOOD LUCK!

1 hour ago, Raeme said:

I have a buddy who has been very overweight her whole life who regularly runs half marathons, and does triathalons all over the country.  She just competed her first marathon and plans to do more. She's almost 55. I personally don't think weight/size is an indicator of fitness.  

I agree!

Raeme likes this

Slow down, slow running is indeed still running!  I did it twice - the first time to get into running, the second to pick up my pace a little.  It takes time!  I've been running for like 7 months now and am still quite slow by actual runner standards.  But it's all good!

I agree that you need to slow down, I was guilty in the beginning of being too hard on myself and expecting to run 8 minute miles. I could skate a mile in less than 8 minutes, but there is no way I can run an 8 minute mile. Take your time and do this at a pace that is comfortable for you. Sometimes it gets harder as we go, just work through it at your pace and remember that no matter how slow we may be going, we are going faster than those that are sitting on the couch saying they will exercise tomorrow.

Vaultgirl72 likes this

Running really slow in the beginning is key. Take it easy. I didn't have any problems with the c25k program (did the c210k a few years ago and it was ok as well).

You might also want to repeat single workouts or whole weeks.

I did the app and ran my first 5K ever on Thanksgiving morning. I am not, nor have I ever been, a runner, b it's something I really wanted to accomplish just to prove to myself that I could run the whole way without stopping.

Since you're an active person to begin with, I don't think the issue is your fitness level. It sounds like you might have run too fast during the short intervals you were asked to. I found that the key to making it through all the intervals is pacing. Try not to let your heart rate get above 130. You definitely shouldn't be sprinting or running with long strides. I suggest instead to start with a very slow jog. When I first started using the app, I jogged at a pace that was barely faster than walking.

Try taking all focus off of speed and find a pace that you can tolerate. Slow and steady wins the race....literally and figuratively :-) Best of luck!

So, as usual.. y'all are right!!!  I went ahead and slowed down, and shortened my stride a bit, and voila!  I made it through the workout and lived to tell!  I have 4 runs behind me, and doing well!!

Clickin, tmcgee, Raeme and 4 others like this