Jolls

4 years post op

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Month early but I already had my 4 year follow up appointment.

I've not done super well this year.  I am about 10lbs heavier than last year and I have been horrible about vitamins so its not surprising this is reflected in my lab results.

My vitamin D is quite low - which it always has been even prior to surgery and when I don't keep up on the extra doses I'm supposed to taking on top of the normal doses - not really a shocker.
My iron storage is low as well which I knew I was struggling with already cause I've had issues with not being able to donate blood like 4 times this last year.   Partially due to poor vitamin regamine and partially due to the low amount of red meat I eat since surgery.   I have to actually take an iron supplement for the first time....at least till I get it boosted up at least than I should be able to stop it (if I keep up on the other stuff like I'm supposed to).

Everything else was good though.  Blood sugars nice and normal and still fully in remission.  Still blows my mind all the people that have to take a B supplement cause I never have - mine is still on the higher end and that is even with being lax on my normal multi-vit!  I have no idea why I seem to be so good on B with no real aid.  Just an observation, not a complaint.

So all in all things are fairly well.  Non of this is really sleeve related specifically and if I just kept up on my multi like I should be (and my extra D which I've always needed) things would go back to normal.

Weight... well...  that a whole other post probably.  I am forever the work in progress!  Get on the wagon; fall off; get on the wagon fall off...   but I keep getting back on at least.

Edited by Jolls

Yes, Jolls.... you DO keep getting back on the wagon.  Glad to see you post.  

la.craig likes this

You're an inspiration to me! I've been reading your posts  since I  got sleeved April 2015. You're honest, always speak from your heart and very supportive. Please keep getting back on that wagon. Sincerely Stephen 

Jabsie likes this

As always, good to see your post.  You've been an inspiration to me as well.  Your positive attitude and honest, open posts are always welcome and have helped so many.

Jabsie likes this

Your posts are always appreciated. I love your honesty and sage advise.

I also follow your posts closely as we have similar starting stats. Your first year weight loss blows mine out of the water! Thank you for sticking with regular posting so we can see how the longer term looks. 

Congratulations on getting your first round of plastics this year and best of luck with everything in your future!

Thank you for your long and thoughtful update.

You are an inspiration to us all, and I look forward to the day (and it will come!!) when you are down to your goal weight.

Never surrender and you will succeed. :)

Smallbites2015 likes this

You've lost pretty close to 200lb Jolls - never lose sight of that - it's an amazing achievement.

Bariatric surgery is not a magic wand and I applaud you for continuing to post of your ups-and-downs.  Bottom line - you've kept it real!

Thank you for sharing your journey.  It is often when I think of you and my husband I am inspired.  The last 18 months of my life have been well hll.  I have not used this time effectively.  When I was at my lowest weight I got so much attention. I always get attention but it was ridicules.  I professionally do presentations. So you would think, it would not have bothered me. It did.  

I did not like feeling vulnerable.  Also, I do not like thinking,  was I not just as desirable before? 

I am learning that it is okay for me to be a small person.  I am working forward too towards lossing the rest of this weight. I love me no matter what the scale reads.  I love me no matter what anyone else thinks.    I want to be healthy.  

Edited by LadyFl
Cheesehead, debbio, tonyaz77 and 1 other like this

Jolls, you are an inspiration to so many, and full of real life, knock you on the butt advice (thank you for no sugarcoated responses).  You have this and you know it, move yourself out of the way as you have suggested so many times before.  

Stop, re-evaluate, regroup and move forward. Repeat until you get where you want to be.

New year, new(er) you. You can do it....I believe that 100%. I haven't posted as much, and I can see that without the support here, some old habits have reappeared. *sigh*

LadyFl, GAviv and Jabsie like this

Been taking an iron supplement for almost 4 weeks now (and while not perfect, rather consistently) and I'm happy to say I was able to donate blood today!  I was denied the last 4 prior attempts as my hemo iron was too low to donate.  Today it was 2 points above the cut off!   This also marked my gallon donation so I'm pretty stoked!

Clickin, KMFL28, ikantspel and 1 other like this

6 minutes ago, Jolls said:

Been taking an iron supplement for almost 4 weeks now (and while not perfect, rather consistently) and I'm happy to say I was able to donate blood today!  I was denied the last 4 prior attempts as my hemo iron was too low to donate.  Today it was 2 points above the cut off!   This also marked my gallon donation so I'm pretty stoked!

Great news!  What iron supplement do you take?  The last time I gave blood (a few weeks ago) I was just above the required iron level, so I may have to start taking an iron supplement soon.

Nature Made 65 mg (equivalent to 325 mg Ferrous Sulfate).   I take it with a mouthful of 50 cal light OJ in the morning.   2-4 points above the minimum is where I usually am, even prior to surgery so I think I'll finish this bottle and just go back to relying on my multi vitamin -  except actually taking it so it does its job.

Edited by Jolls
Res Ipsa likes this

We need a post that says "Jolls Gives".  Usually the "give" is fantastic advice or a good, but kind, kick in the butt.  Always is serves to inform and inspire.  The "give" today.... Ahhhh, just blood!  LOL 

Glad you got to do something you've wanted to do for a while, Jolls. 

Res Ipsa likes this

On 1/16/2017 at 4:27 PM, LadyFl said:

Thank you for sharing your journey.  It is often when I think of you and my husband I am inspired.  The last 18 months of my life have been well hll.  I have not used this time effectively.  When I was at my lowest weight I got so much attention. I always get attention but it was ridicules.  I professionally do presentations. So you would think, it would not have bothered me. It did.  

I did not like feeling vulnerable.  Also, I do not like thinking,  was I not just as desirable before? 

I am learning that it is okay for me to be a small person.  I am working forward too towards lossing the rest of this weight. I love me no matter what the scale reads.  I love me no matter what anyone else thinks.    I want to be healthy.  

Lady Fi, 

I am so glad you posted this. Especially your not liking feeling vulnerable when you're at a smaller size. My stats are similar to yours, albeit I'm only 5 months out from surgery. I have been treading water at 185-190 for several weeks now... making poor food choices (sometimes even when it hurts my stomach)... sort of afraid to get into the 170's. That is the weight at which I start attracting attention. Keep in mind I have no fashion model face, but my family and friends will start making comments as I go down through the 170's into a normal BMI... some positive, some negative. When I have been at a lower weight I have not only wondered if I had not been just as desirable at a higher weight, but it's made me very angry because I KNOW I have not been as desirable!

The conundrum is this: I physically FEEL better when my weight is near my normal BMI; however, the increased looks from men, the catty/snide comments from women, even the kind comments don't feel SAFE to me. My knee-jerk reaction to these is NOT a good one. I don't know how to internalize them. I feel much more vulverable. It's as if the extra weight is a fence ensuring my safety. When I'm heavy no one notices me... giving me the comforting feeling of being invisible. Others, on the whole, seem to be nicer to me when I'm heavier. When I'm at a healthier weight I feel as though I'm parading around naked. 

I have tried repeating to myself your words, <<<"I am learning that it is okay for me to be a small person.  I am working forward too towards lossing the rest of this weight. I love me no matter what the scale reads.  I love me no matter what anyone else thinks.    I want to be healthy.">>> to no avail.

Any insight is welcome.

Thanks, again, Lady Fi. You may have opened a can of worms for me, but I needed to open it so I can keep moving forward.

Debbi 

LadyFl likes this