amandr

Eating Clean Right After Post-Op

11 posts in this topic

Hey TTers,

I'm a pre-op VSG patient and I've been trying to prepare myself for life after surgery. One thing I have been really concerned about with WLS post-op nutrition in general is that most of it (at least in the beginning) is chock-full of processed proteins, artificial sweeteners, bars, shakes, etc. I am really trying to eat clean and stay on a whole food diet. It's been helping me kick my sugar addiction and bad food in general. I have a lot of reservations about going from eating junk food to eating junk health food full of ingredients I cannot pronounce. 

Thankfully my nutritionist in my surgeon's office does take a whole-food approach and once I can eat solid foods again she has great recommendations. However I was wondering if any of you had any tips or suggestions on how to follow a clean eating diet in the first few months when you're on liquid stage and soft foods. What's your go-to for liquid/soft proteins that doesn't come from a package?

ShrinkingViolet2 and tmcgee like this

I eat very little sugar since WLS, I lost my taste for it. I get most of my protein from dairy, chicken or beef stew, and chili. Chicken quesadillas and home-made Cornell bread are also on my short list.

https://sites.google.com/site/ericevans/home/cornell-bread-recipe

Cottage cheese, chili, I still drink protein shakes.  But there are so many.  Hy-Vee grocery stores here have a variety that you can check the labels too.  If you have a Hy-Vee, they have a large health food section.  Jerky is a go to for me as is cheese...for the longest time chicken was my meat of choice.  Easy to add cheese, salsa, grilled veggies to.  Now steak seems to be edging chicken out.  I go through periods of shrimp, or ham as well..I eat mainly meat.  And fruit...Greek yogurt..and cheese...

Cottage cheese, Fage Greek yogurt, shrimp (I can't eat meat or eggs), a few nuts and raw vegetables and some fruit (I like the crunch).

48 minutes ago, cinwa said:

Cottage cheese, Fage Greek yogurt, shrimp (I can't eat meat or eggs), a few nuts and raw vegetables and some fruit (I like the crunch).

Very curious as to why you can't eat meat or eggs. Does this create problems getting enough protein? Sorry, just being nosy.

22 hours ago, ShrinkingViolet2 said:

Very curious as to why you can't eat meat or eggs. Does this create problems getting enough protein? Sorry, just being nosy.

I just can't get meat or eggs down - regardless of how they're prepared.  Thankfully, I've always been a big fish and shrimp eater but I don't always want to eat it 3 times a day.

Were it not for a protein shake (usually, just half of one), I would struggle to meet my protein goals but according to my NUT, I'd be OK but those guidelines are for non-WLS patients so I like to aim a little higher to be on the safe side.

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

3 hours ago, cinwa said:

I just can't get meat or eggs down - regardless of how they're prepared.  Thankfully, I've always been a big fish and shrimp eater but I don't always want to eat it 3 times a day.

Were it not for a protein shake (usually, just half of one), I would struggle to meet my protein goals but according to my NUT, I'd be OK but those guidelines are for non-WLS patients so I like to aim a little higher to be on the safe side.

Wow. I see. I bet it's easier to keep the weight off sans meat and eggs. So you're basically a pescatarian now. Interesting!

I've eaten pretty clean from the beginning. Whole fat or 2% plain yogurt with a teaspoon of organic honey and a dash of vanilla extract, I made my own refried beans, eggs in a variety of ways-especially with salsa and sometimes cheese, cream soups. I didn't mind not having a huge variety at the beginning. Now I eat whole, full fat foods. Nothing from a box/can/packaged/frozen. Nothing fried and no pasta or rice. I love oven roasted vegetables with s & p, olive oil and a sprinkling of Parmesan. I eat most all meats/fish/seafood. Snacks are mostly meat sticks, cheese & crackers, nuts, dark chocolate and wine. 

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

On 1/8/2017 at 9:02 AM, ShrinkingViolet2 said:

Wow. I see. I bet it's easier to keep the weight off sans meat and eggs. So you're basically a pescatarian now. Interesting!

Yes, I am a pescatarian but that doesn't help keep the weight off.  Not eating carbs in the form of breads, crackers, rice, pasta etc. does that.

5 hours ago, cinwa said:

Yes, I am a pescatarian but that doesn't help keep the weight off.  Not eating carbs in the form of breads, crackers, rice, pasta etc. does that.

Yep, exactly...and sweets!

Thanks for all of the suggestions!