Lovely_Kate87

What to do

9 posts in this topic

So I am 2 weeks post-op and now that I am taking my vitamins I have found that I am having a hard time going to the bathroom. This might be tmi but I'm sure that you all have faced this, but I haven't pooped in 5 days and feeling backed up. I am trying to get in all my liquids and finding it hard, which I know drinking water and getting liquid is helpful Im just trying to get it in normally again. So when this happened what was safe to take? I was gonna try some stool softener but if that doesn't work Im not sure what else to use. Do any of you have any suggestions? 

Milk of magnesia ASAP. If that doesn't work, try an enema. 5 days is way too long. Trust me.

Res Ipsa likes this

And take a large dose of MOM. 4 tbsp

Res Ipsa likes this

I concur with @GAviv. It's common to be backed up during this time due to the high protein liquids and lack of other foods. Enemas usually bring relief if MOM doesn't work. If those don't work, contact your surgeon.

Definately, MOM!  I took 2 stool softeners, 2 chewable fiber tablets a day and if that didn't do it, smooth move tea. And MOM!  It was a regular deal the first 3 years!  Stay on top of it!  

How much should I take? The bottle says 30 to 60 mL and i cant even get 30 down without throwing up. 

Take the largest recommended dose of MOM and it really should solve your problem. I needed to use MOM every four weeks or so early on after my surgery, but have not needed to use it for the last few years. 

4 tbsp. I said it above.

Glycerin suppositories help me, along with mom. I've had this problem for many years, way back to my 20's.