That Guy

Soylent - Have any of you used this meal replacement post op?

11 posts in this topic

I'm curious to know whether anyone here has tried using Soylent post VGS? My son uses it as a meal replacement for his dieting and workout needs, but he's young and doesn't need weightloss surgery as I do.  Still he think's the product might be good for me post-op since it has all the nutrients in a single powdered form that you can blend into water and make a smooth shake. I'll post what's in it below according to the product label.  Has anyone tried it?  If so, is this something I'd pick up in week 3 post-op, or for a later time post-op, like after week 6?  It sounds pretty good all things considered. Though my son blends in half a banana with it since it's flavorless as is.  Thanks for your advice!

Here are the contents of Soylent:
 INGREDIENTS: Soy Protein Isolate, Isomaltulose, Maltodextrin, High Oleic Canola Oil, High Oleic Algal Oil, Isomaltooligosaccharide, Modified Food Starch, Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Phosphate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sodium Ascorbate, Soy Lecithin, Mono & Diglyceride, Xanthan Gum, Dipotassium Phosphate, Salt, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Choline Chloride, Mixed tocopherol, dl-alpha-Tocopheryl Acetate, Ferrous Gluconate, Zinc Sulfate, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Niacinamide, Sucralose, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Copper Gluconate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Manganese Sulfate, Riboflavin, Vitamin A Palmitate, Chromium Chloride, Potassium Iodide, Biotin, Phytonadione, Sodium Molybdate, Sodium Selenite, Folic Acid, Vitamin D, Vitamin B12.

Contains: Soy Manufactured for Rosa Foods, Inc. Los Angeles, CA 90012 While not intended to replace every meal, Soylent can replace any meal

5 Servings Per Container;

Amount Per Serving: Calories 400 % Daily Value*

Total Fat 20g 31% Saturated Fat 2g 10% Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5g Monounsaturated Fat 14g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 320mg 13% Total Carbohydrate 37g 12% Soluble Fiber 5g Dietary Fiber 5g 20% Includes 15g Added Sugars 30% Total Sugars 15g Protein 20g Serving Size Vitamin D 2mcg 20% ·Calcium 200mg 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% Iron 4mg ·Potassium 700mg Vitamin A ·Vitamin C Vitamin K ·Vitamin E Riboflavin ·Thiamin Vitamin B6 ·Niacin Vitamin B12 ·Folic Acid Choline ·Biotin Iodine ·Magnesium Zinc ·Selenium Copper ·Manganese Chromium ·Molybdenum Pantothenic Acid 1/5 pouch (84.8g) N

My programme discouraged meal replacement shakes - ultimately, they wanted us to get as much nourishment as we could from food because that keeps us fuller for longer. 

I'm 9+ years post-RNY and still use 1/2 or 1 protein shake a day purely to keep up with my protein needs because I don't eat meat or eggs but I don't like to spend too many calories on protein shakes.  I like Syntrax Nectar:  90 calories, zero carbs, fat or sugar and 23g whey protein isolate.

LeeC and That Guy like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for saying so. Still, if you happen past your nutritionist/doctor anytime soon, perhaps give it a mention to see what is said.  I'm doing the same with my nutritionist before I commit to anything.  This product is, or purports to be organic with no gmo's, not that I've ever cared before, but since I'm doing the surgery, I might as well start off on a good foot and see where it get's me, right? I'm also diabetic, so I really like the idea of the third thing on the list (Isomaltulose) made from beets.

According to their website this product has the following:

Soy Proteins: Soy protein isolate provides a smooth texture and robust amino acid profile.
Algal oil:  Our algal oil is produced in bioreactors, rather than traditional farms, to conserve natural resources while providing energy and essential fatty acids.
Isomaltulose: A slow-metabolizing disaccharide synthesized from beets offers sustained energy without the spikes of refined sugar.
Vitamins & minerals:  Each pouch of Soylent Powder 1.7 includes 100 percent of all essential vitamins and minerals.

Edited by That Guy
hate it when I make mistakes :)

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, That Guy said:

Amount Per Serving: Calories 400 % Daily Value*

Total Fat 20g 31% Saturated Fat 2g 10% Polyunsaturated Fat 3.5g Monounsaturated Fat 14g Trans Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg 0% Sodium 320mg 13% Total Carbohydrate 37g 12% Soluble Fiber 5g Dietary Fiber 5g 20% Includes 15g Added Sugars 30% Total Sugars 15g Protein 20g Serving Size Vitamin D 2mcg 20% ·Calcium 200mg 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% 20% Iron 4mg ·Potassium 700mg Vitamin A ·Vitamin C Vitamin K ·Vitamin E Riboflavin ·Thiamin Vitamin B6 ·Niacin Vitamin B12 ·Folic Acid Choline ·Biotin Iodine ·Magnesium Zinc ·Selenium Copper ·Manganese Chromium ·Molybdenum Pantothenic Acid 1/5 pouch (84.8g) N

I know my program would not approve of using this.  You should check with yours though, as they may have different rules they want you to follow.

Our general rules for protein shakes are:

1.  Less than 3-6 grams of carbs

2.  15 or more grams of protein

The listing for this shows 37 grams of carbs and only 20 grams of protein, along with 400 (!!) calories.  At 2 months post op I usually only hit 400-500 calories a day, and I'm eating regular food for the most part.  Your program may want you to increase your calories faster than mine does but I don't think most would find a 400 calorie shake a good option.  I could be wrong, so check with your nut or surgeon.  I think I'd sooner drink a milkshake.  :) 

Personally, I do like the Syntrax that Cinwa mentioned, and I normally use Premier Protein shakes at this point since I can close them up and save the rest for later (my program has 4 ounce max of protein shake per meal at this point).  They are 160 calories, 30 grams of protein, and 5 grams of carbs in an 11 ounce portion.  My program also says to use protein shakes as meal replacement only, not as a supplement to increase protein intake between meals, so this is a one to one comparison in my program.  :)

Edited by tkk54915
Edited to add info on shakes for meal replacement only
That Guy and ShrinkingViolet2 like this

Pretty high carb for bariatric patients. Especially if you did 3 a day. 

Not to mention "IT'S PEEEEEOOOOOPPPPLLLLEEEE" :D

dredfern, amandr, That Guy and 3 others like this

Way too much sugar and carbs for me, but yes I looked into it because of the name when it was first released (As Clickin Said, Soylent Green is people!, Course in the movie there was Soylent Red and Yellow..). Ultimately I decided not to try it because of the reviews on the product, but again this was when it was first released, things may have changed since then.

I try to stick to no more than 6g of sugar per serving and low carbs. I also average around 600-800 calories a day, that would just be far far too much for me. 

That Guy and tkk54915 like this

I also like Syntrax, lower calorie, whey isolate and no carb, higher protein...

Thanks for the fantastic advice. I guess I will scratch that off the list. Maybe they'll make a low carb version one day? 

tkk54915 and Clickin like this

I looked into it too, and it doesn't seem great for bariatric patients, like most people said. Also I read a ton of reviews and studies on Soylent--and I don't know if they have fixed this--but apparently there was a decent amount of people who were having severe gastrointestinal pain with it. I think enough so that they had to either reformulate it or plan on doing so. Red flag for me. 

I would stick with a whole-food diet as much as possible and supplement with whey protein isolate shakes that are low carb/low sugar if you like. That's just my two cents though, personally I'm wary of anything that doesn't appear in nature and that's what I try to stick to.