Vaultgirl72

Greetings from Durham, North Carolina

Hello everyone! I'm in the midst of an insurance change which seriously upset my progress towards getting my surgery. I start with BCBSNC in January and meet with my surgeon on the 5th. I've only got chest x-ray, EKG and A1C left to do for pre-op approval but need to talk to the doctor to be sure. I'm a little frustrated and hate to admit it but I really cut loose in December since everything was in limbo. I'm glad I found this forum as it has already helped me work on getting back on track. Thanks to everyone who posts here! Would love to get in contact with anyone who would like to buddy up in NC. 

Welcome!  I am sorry that you are facing a surgery delay, but please don't let that diminish your interest in weight loss surgery. I have never regretted having my gastric bypass. 

We are here to support you on your weight loss surgery journey and answer your questions. So spend some time reading lots of postings on the various boards here at TTF, and then let us know if we can help. 

Welcome to Thinner Times Vaultgirl72!

Hi Vaultgirl. Welcome to TT. A friend of mine has BCBS of NC and was approved last week. The process was very quick for her. Hope the same is true for you. Good luck!

Thanks Dunndeal :) I hope it moves along smoothly too!  I'll know more on Thursday when I meet with my Dr. 

So how did it go today? Did you get the answers you were looking for?

I did get some answers and tentatively surgery will be at the end of March. Part of me wants to do it sooner but getting through my real estate class is also a priority. Doctor was pleased with my weight post-holiday season and she encouraged me to start eating 60 grams of protein a day and start walking some everyday. We discussed more about how diabetes is affected by the surgery and why it would have such an immediate effect, which put my mind at ease about the subject. Having my diabetes go into remission is my number one priority. I must confess that I cannot even begin to imagine being any weight other than the one I am now and will be shocked after surgery/recovery when the weight comes off. Not sure how to prepare for that reality. 

Got my blood work, chest x-ray and EKG done yesterday. All that went well just need to hear back from the doctor!

You're on the homestretch - hang in there - you'll get your date soon.

Heard back from the doctor today and my labs show that I'm deficient in Vitamin D and Iron. So 8 weeks to build them up and then retest then we'll see. Mildly frustrated but I get that it's necessary. Upside; all the other tests were A-OK!!

Did you get your surgery date? I'm at Duke Regional Hospital recovering my surgery yesterday.  I also went through Duke Metabolic Weight Loss Surgery Center for my surgery.  Dr. Sudan was my surgeon. 

@Dtrain84 I did get my surgery date! June 9th with Dr. Seymour

21 hours ago, Vaultgirl72 said:

@Dtrain84 I did get my surgery date! June 9th with Dr. Seymour

Great news,June 9th will be here before you know it. Maybe we'll see each other in the post-op group meetings. 

That would be super cool! I've a mixed bag of emotions but mostly feeling like I need to get everything "ready". 

Good luck Vaultgirl72! Hope the site provides you with some ideas or insights that work for you. Most every day there is something discussed that helps keep me going in a positive direction.