VicWytch

Breast reconstruction after WLS

Hi Dr. Gupta,

I am about 1 year out from gastric bypass, and have reached my goal weight for the past 4 months. Unfortunately I was also just recently diagnosed with breast cancer, stage 1 (invasive ductal carcinoma) in my left breast. Because of the WLS, the size of my breast is barely a B cup with lots of loose skin. The breast surgeon has said that the area to be taken out (2 inches) would severely impact the look of my breast if I went with a lumpectomy, and so she recommends I investigate a double mastectomy (for symetrical reasons). 

I meet with a plastic surgeon in about a week, but my question is about whether I would have enough loose skin/fat on my tummy or butt to do any of the reconstruction without implants. I know I have the skin, but I believe the fat is crucial as well, and I'm not sure I have enough of that left. 

Have you ever encountered this situation before with WLS patients and breast reconstruction after mastectomy?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hello VicWytch,

Thanks for your question.

Yes I have encountered your situation before.  I agree with your breast surgeon's recommendation.

You are correct that enough fat is crucial for a good result with autologous (tissue flap) reconstruction and that available fat is significantly diminished after massive weight loss, which usually means implant reconstruction is a better option.  But your plastic surgeon will be the best person to make that determination after he/she has a chance to consult with you and examine your tissues.

Good luck with your surgeries.

Sincerely,

Abhay Gupta MD, FACS

Thank you for the prompt response. Appreciate it!