lightenupwoman

"This Is Us"

14 posts in this topic

Is anyone else watching this? I don't want to give away too much but there is a character dealing with obesity. It's very real and very well done. It's just bringing back a lot of memories and sometimes it's really hard to watch, but it reminds me of why I had the surgery. I still just want to  tell her to have surgery too. 

Yes! It's such a well-done show.  I wonder if the actress wanted WLS so they are possibly writing it in...

bellamoma and ShrinkingViolet2 like this

Love the show! I know the actress has committed to losing weight for her role, but I'm wondering if she'll have WLS. I've seen her in interviews, but she's never said whether she's going to go the same route as her character. Great show. I love all the deep family issues they deal with.

Edited by Kimchan
bellamoma likes this

I LOVE this show and I'm not much of a tv watcher. I relate to the Kate character, too, and wondered if she's going to have surgery in real life. 

Well spoiler alert! I seriously started crying when she said she was having WLS. I really think one of the writers had to have surgery because it was all so damn familiar, the issues with relationships, the airlplane stuff, thinking about weight constantly, only losing one damn pound at Weight Watchers while the men lose 8, feeling like you are working so hard for nothing and then realizing you don't want to die early. And then hearing other people's reactions to your decision like it's not going to change anything,it's too dangerous.

I love that actress and I love that they make her a real serious person. So many times they make the fat person be dumb or jovial or shallow and just a joke. 

Do you ever think they have padding on her? I have seen a couple of times where you can sort of see the outline of a pad on her stomach and also her face seems to be getting smaller while the rest of her stays the same. It seems like she already started to lose weight before they made that part of the story line. 

Edit: Also I literally laughed out loud when that mean chick said what if nothing changes? I really didn't think much would change, but it has in ways I never expected. I am not going to say that my divorce was a direct result of the surgery for obvious reasons but I am a different person now. I am more confident because I finally accomplished something that I have always wanted to accomplish. I don't have that hanging over my head any longer. 

It was also hard seeing the two boys relationship, because I went through the same sort of thing with my daughter and my ex step son. They are two months apart and went through something very similar, and now here we are and I don't have to deal with that anymore. It's very odd. 

Edited by lightenupwoman

I just read that losing weight is actually in her contract but I don't know if that actually involves WLS.  In the same article it referenced her being almost 400lbs so I don't think she's padded for the show unless, as you said, maybe she's losing weight faster than the story line so they've had to pad her to keep her looking her biggest. And you're right, whoever is writing that storyline seems intimately familiar with the real life struggles of obesity. 

ShrinkingViolet2 and bellamoma like this

I LOVE this show and can't wait for it to start again on 1/10! I also enjoy her character and the realism of her struggles. 

I. LOVE. THAT. SHOW.  

I binge watched it while wrapping presents and TOTALLY felt a connection to kate (the overweight character).  It's so funny how you can look one way on the outside but feel so differently on the inside. I am working hard to match my brain with my body.  I can't wait for the new season either!!! I almost never watch TV, but I just LOVE this show. 

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

I've heard so many good things about this show, I may have to tee it up on demand. I'm not a big TV watcher so we'll see. 

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

12 hours ago, lightenupwoman said:

Edit: Also I literally laughed out loud when that mean chick said what if nothing changes? I really didn't think much would change, but it has in ways I never expected. I am not going to say that my divorce was a direct result of the surgery for obvious reasons but I am a different person now. I am more confident because I finally accomplished something that I have always wanted to accomplish. I don't have that hanging over my head any longer. 

It was also hard seeing the two boys relationship, because I went through the same sort of thing with my daughter and my ex step son. They are two months apart and went through something very similar, and now here we are and I don't have to deal with that anymore. It's very odd. 

I'm sorry about your divorce. That stinks. But something DOES change on the inside. I too feel weirdly different. It's like you've always been this person, but it was buried, hidden from others somehow. 

My mind is reeling, trying to adapt to this rapid physical change. I mean I can't believe it. To go into a store like today, and be able to fit in every size 12 pant is surreal. I'm happy but I'm in a weird sort of shock, too. This has happened so quickly.

I can't imagine what it would be like to go through this change married. As it is, I have a family member who seems to be having issues with my weight loss. Little biting remarks, you know? I would hope my spouse would be supportive.

I feel more confident, more optimistic, and less willing to accept toxic relationships. So those biting remarks from a family member? I'm moving on and letting go...

Edited by ShrinkingViolet2
bellamoma and nimiety like this

I had to google her and found pictures of her where she looks like she did lose at least fifty pounds or more. I think she's gorgeous already. Although one thing that I thought was odd is that at her weight the way she walks, it seems like she's wearing a fat suit. I've never seen someone that heavy who walks gracefully, they usually have to kind of heave forward with every step. Maybe she's just really good at faking it? I don't know but I guess I have a conspiracy theory that they are putting padding on her. ha. 

Yeah my ex husband was very supportive of my surgery, took great care of me after it. It was just that we moved in different directions. He's actually gender fluid or trans. I think that seeing my have such a huge change inspired him to be his true self too maybe. I don't know, I think we both just supported each other in being our true selves and it turned out our true selves were not compatible anymore. Very odd. He was very supportive, I can't say one bad word about how he was before when I was trying to get approved and then after and he has never said anything bad about how I look or my skin or made remarks about how inconvenient it is sometimes with my food. He just rolled with it. 

I lost some friends who weren't really my friends. I guess once I hit goal and they realized that I was smaller than they were I was making them feel bad about themselves? I got all the "skinny #*%$#" supposed jokes and comments and then they just kind of dropped off. 

Edit: Oh I almost laughed out loud when she said she couldn't date a fat person. I was the same way even before I decided to have surgery. I knew in my heart come hell or high water I was going to lose this damn weight and I didn't want to be with someone who was going to be eating as a hobby and couldn't do or didn't want to do the active things that I wanted to do. It wasn't even like oh I'm not attracted to over weight guys really, I just wanted someone who could support me and not tempt me. So I found my second husband who was maybe ten pounds over weight but you really can't tell. And the guy eats potato chips and barely exercises except for working around the house and he never gains weight. And anyway here I am.....about to date again. Life is odd.

Edited by lightenupwoman

For the most part I don't watch much tv and when I do it's usually old movies, but I love love love this show! I got my sisters hooked early on and we recommended it to our parents.  They actually binged watch episodes to get caught up and now they love it too. 

Posted (edited)

Because of ya'lls recommendation I binge watched this during my first week post op. Amazing, amazing show. So real. About the actress possibly getting WLS the answer sadly is no. Here's a clip from an article:

---------

"Merz said that the story of Kate will continue to unfold in the series and we will learn why she is how she is. She let it slip that Kate might even consider weight loss surgery, which is something Metz would never do in real life.

“I don’t feel comfortable with that because I feel that food is the symptom, there’s a bigger issue,” Metz told SheKnows.com. “So, for me, whether or not Kate decides to do that, it hasn’t really been solidified. But I have said, you know, as Chrissy I don’t condone that — however, there are people who are in dire situations who need to do that, so I don’t judge other human beings because I don’t know everyone’s story.”

------------

im surprised at how disappointed I am about her personal attitude about WLS. it seems like she believes the stigma associated with it and it's only for people in "dire situations". Perhaps she also doesn't know the scientific facts behind the chances of successful long term weight loss after being obese. 

So anyhow if she is not willing to get WLS I think there is no chance of her character getting it cause she couldn't produce the rapid loss  naturally. Which is disappointing because now that I am in the WLS "group" I would like to see the misconceptions be cleared away and have it be destygmatized. I almost wonder if they're gonna promote the whole "no body shame" perspective and make her simply accept her weight as is. 

Still I love the show and can't wait for Jan 10 :)

Edited by ValerieKGorman

It's ok, I saw pictures of her and she had lost a lot of weight. 

Maybe she just doesn't have the time to take off to have it for one thing. It's a lot of work getting to surgery as we all know. I don't know if she would be able to get her production team to pay for everything. It's a huge risk for her to do that. I don't know if she would have short term disability like some of us if things go wrong, and she's right in the middle of a TV contract.

She is in a dire situation. (I mean come on, seriously?) But if she isn't there yet that's ok. Maybe she doesn't have any comorbidities or she hasn't lost it and regained it enough times yet. Maybe she'll lose it by hiring trainers and having chefs and people to watch everything she does and coach her and more power to her if that works for her! 

I think someone on the writing team has had it, because the things that she says as the character are just too real and hit so close to home. So I'm thinking it doesn't really matter if the actress doesn't have it, she's not the writer! And it's not like they are filming in real time. They can weight a month for her to lose weight and say she lost it in a week. I don't know. 

Anyway I really am glad that so many people liked it. The other thing I liked was that she and Toby are real people. It seems like so many times in TV shows and movies the fat people aren't real, they are jokes, they are crazy, there is something wrong with them. These two are real people who just happen to be overweight. 

I'm not one to watch network tv anymore, I'm a netflix person but damn this is a great show!