Abibliophobe

Yogurt

10 posts in this topic

Are there brands of yogurt that don't have a lot of sugar? I was looking at yogurt a while back and it all had way more than 5gs per serving.  I'm curious if there'd be some yogurt I can eat when I get the surgery? I shop primarily at Walmart but I'd be okay with going to a different store.  I just haven't found anything with low enough sugar content.  

Dannon light and fit Greek is popular with people here.

My body does quite fine with the flavored Chobani Greek yoghurts. They have a few more calories than the Dannin ones, but taste such much better (in my opinion).  

Even plain, nonfat yogurt has milk sugars.  It's called lactose.  Walmart's Nonfat Plain Yogurt has 13g milk sugars per 8oz.

I'm drinking a glass of Horizon Organic Low Fat (1%) milk.  It has 12g sugars.  I'm having 6 oz FAGE nonfat Greek Yogurt a little later.  That has 6.7g sugars.

Some people go through a phase of being sensitive to lactose early post-op.  I had a problem with milk but yogurt and aged cheeses weren't a problem because the processing had already broken down some of the lactose.  

ThinCVT likes this

Carbmaster. Great flavors very low sugar.

I really like Siggi's Icelandic skyr yogurt. It's generally higher in protein than most other brands and it has a good protein to sugar ratio and is higher in calcium than most brands. Check it out: http://www.leanitup.com/food-faceoffs-chobani-vs-fage-vs-siggis-which-greek-yogurt-is-the-sveltest-nutritional-powerhouse/

amandr likes this

1 hour ago, GAviv said:

Carbmaster. Great flavors very low sugar.

Huh. I've never heard of or seen Carbmaster. Will have to check it out. Thanks.

I like Dannon light and fit Greek yogurt..there's a salted Carmel no chunks, that's amazing!

Edited by Cheesehead

On 12/24/2016 at 6:16 PM, ShrinkingViolet2 said:

I really like Siggi's Icelandic skyr yogurt. It's generally higher in protein than most other brands and it has a good protein to sugar ratio and is higher in calcium than most brands. Check it out: http://www.leanitup.com/food-faceoffs-chobani-vs-fage-vs-siggis-which-greek-yogurt-is-the-sveltest-nutritional-powerhouse/

Siggi's is also my favorite yogurt/skyr. It's super thick and seldom goes over 10g sugar. Also as mentioned it has a higher protein content than most others. I do not care for most yogurts because they are either really high in sugar or have artificial sweeteners that I hate the taste of. Their flavors are genuine and works for a whole-food, limited ingredient, diet. They are expensive though, about $1.50 each, but I think it's worth it. 

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

Getting surgery Friday.  I'll get some yogurt for week two post op I believe.  I have to look at my list.  

I think my Walmart has the light and fit and  chobami so I'll look for those.  

Thank you all for the suggestions. I'm sorry it took me so long to respond.  Been busy with life and preparing for the big day.