viva

I need a new vice

8 posts in this topic

I did my op August 2015, hit my lowest weight around July 2016...Since then it's been creeping back on slowly. I've gained 5kg and I'm freaking out mentally because I don't want to go back to the place I was in before. 

Junk snacks are like sliders to me, and I'm a very emotional eater. I exercise but it's obviously not enough and obviously isn't the go to thing when you're feeling stressed or anxious or depressed or bored or frustrated or angry or... Anything.

I know ideally I should work on finding a healthy way to manage my feelings, but right now I just feel I need something. I can't comfort eat, I shouldn't take up smoking, but I just don't know what medium to go to. Has anyone faced this problem? How do you deal with it? 

LadyFl and Jabsie like this

2 hours ago, viva said:

right now I just feel I need something. I can't comfort eat, I shouldn't take up smoking, but I just don't know what medium to go to. Has anyone faced this problem? How do you deal with it? 

Retail therapy was my post-op vice, especially clothes shopping. Still have that bug 30 years on.:D

Res Ipsa likes this

Post-op, a good walk at a stiff pace (albeit on a treadmill with some good music) is the answer to clearing my head.

Warm decaf tea in a calming quiet place like my deck or in the bathtub. I like walking, yoga and Pilates very relaxing when stressed or emotional too.  Although it's not my favorite thing to do, deep cleaning can also be distracting and very productive. 

athenarose likes this

Sounds like you're letting up some, which is expected. Hmm. You could go back revisit the reasons why you decided to have wls in the first place. Remembering how you felt pre-surgery could be a good motivator to stick with your new lifestyle change. 

It was suggested to me recently to try something new when I can't shake the impulse to eat; find another positive physical sensation to associate with the impulse to eat that isn't eating.

Typically, once I get to obsessing about eating something, the only thing that will stop it is to eat. So what else can I do other than eat that feels good (with the exception of the obvious here)? When I felt the impulse to eat recently, instead of eating I took my smallest pair of pants out of the closet, looked at the label, slipped them on and stood in the mirror looking at my body......bam, it worked! It was a simultaneous reminder of how far I've come and the comfortable feeling of how well my body fit into the pants.

Maybe a bath, a massage, etc.... anything physically pleasant that you can associate with the impulse to eat other than eating.

Edited by Jabsie
LadyFl and NC63 like this

On 12/21/2016 at 6:29 PM, viva said:

I did my op August 2015, hit my lowest weight around July 2016...Since then it's been creeping back on slowly. I've gained 5kg and I'm freaking out mentally because I don't want to go back to the place I was in before. 

Junk snacks are like sliders to me, and I'm a very emotional eater. I exercise but it's obviously not enough and obviously isn't the go to thing when you're feeling stressed or anxious or depressed or bored or frustrated or angry or... Anything.

I know ideally I should work on finding a healthy way to manage my feelings, but right now I just feel I need something. I can't comfort eat, I shouldn't take up smoking, but I just don't know what medium to go to. Has anyone faced this problem? How do you deal with it? 

Hey I understand completely where you're coming from.  Surgery doesn't correct our 'crazy' at all, it's just another tool in the arsenal.  I had my VSG March '15 and am up 8kg- scary spot to be in.  I blame the holidays, but really it had been my allowance of carbohydrates to re-enter my life.  So I have reigned in carbs, started an exercise routine and am trying to get a handle on a very grim reality 

On 12/21/2016 at 9:29 PM, viva said:

Post am old picture of yourself on the refrigerator so you can see the old you when you get ready to eat when you are not truly hungry. I  was told to do this and it really does help. I see that person who was so miserable and I never want to become her again so it helps to to go find something to do besides eat.