Tom Sharpe

What are you reading?

Just thought this might be a fun way to get to know folks here and share a few thoughts on the books we're reading.

This morning I finished the Librivox offering, Damn! A Book of Calimny (1918) by H.L. Mencken (audiobook read by Wasichu). Mencken is never boring, although he is  sometimes infuriating, as he is in this book with his suggestion that, "Some day the natural clumsiness and imperfection of fingers, lips and larynxes will be overcome by mechanical devices, and we shall have Beethoven and Mozart and Schubert in such wonderful and perfect beauty that it will be almost unbearable.  If half as much ingenuity had been lavished upon music machines as has been lavished upon the telephone and the steam engine, we would have had mechanical orchestras long ago." Well, a century after those words were written, we have mechanized music, and it sounds mechanized. Perhaps had he heard a bit of modern Techno his enthusiasm for artificial orchestras would have been less pronounced. But then, you have to love an author who says, "The average man does not get pleasure out of an idea because he thinks it is true; he thinks it is true because he gets pleasure out of it."

I'm continuing to read the ebook edition of Flying Too High by Kerry Greenwood (Phryne Fisher #2). Phryne Fisher's flapper exploits are always fun. This daring, unconventional woman has a quite unique outlook on life. In this book she deals with a murder and a kidnapping, and does a bit of wing-walking to boot that scares her assistant half to death.

And sometime later today I'll probably start the Audible audiobook of Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke.

So what are you reading?

Edited by Tom Sharpe

I read all of the time. I try to read a book every few days, so far in 2016 I've read 103 books, over 40 thousand words! Regardless, I go through authors I like like wildfire, I currently am going through the works of Lisa Unger, who is a true crime, thriller, suspense, and sometimes supernatural author. There was a quote in one of her books that is literally my favorite quote, and it just warmed me up to her. That quote is - " For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation will suffice. " . I think that is such a wonderful idea. really, and to find that in a novel I am reading, just tickled me pink. The book I am on by her right now is "Die for You" - https://www.amazon.com/Die-You-Novel-Lisa-Unger-ebook/dp/B002AWX6IE

My children are named after characters in Novels. (Terry Brooks, Shannara series.)

I find that audiobooks I zone out, so I have to actually read. But with the purchase of my tablet, I have an extensive google drive library that I loan out to my friends, my last count had me at 26,000 books! I never thought that I would appreciate a digital copy more than the physical book, as I love the smell of books, I love the textile touch of books, but the convenience of throwing a book on my tablet and going is, awesome. 

I love Sci-Fi, Fantasy, True Crime, History, Supernatural, Low Fantasy, High Fantasy, ... man I read almost every genre, but romance. 

I'm an avid reader - Jane Austen being my passion ... I can read her works over and over.  

Right now for the umpteenth time, it's Pride & Prejudice - my all-time favourite - made all the special because my DH bought me a first edition Hugh Thomson for my 50th birthday.

On 12/21/2016 at 10:57 AM, Zyia said:

I read all of the time. I try to read a book every few days, so far in 2016 I've read 103 books, over 40 thousand words! Regardless, I go through authors I like like wildfire, I currently am going through the works of Lisa Unger, who is a true crime, thriller, suspense, and sometimes supernatural author. There was a quote in one of her books that is literally my favorite quote, and it just warmed me up to her. That quote is - " For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, no explanation will suffice. " . I think that is such a wonderful idea. really, and to find that in a novel I am reading, just tickled me pink. The book I am on by her right now is "Die for You" - https://www.amazon.com/Die-You-Novel-Lisa-Unger-ebook/dp/B002AWX6IE

My children are named after characters in Novels. (Terry Brooks, Shannara series.)

I find that audiobooks I zone out, so I have to actually read. But with the purchase of my tablet, I have an extensive google drive library that I loan out to my friends, my last count had me at 26,000 books! I never thought that I would appreciate a digital copy more than the physical book, as I love the smell of books, I love the textile touch of books, but the convenience of throwing a book on my tablet and going is, awesome. 

I love Sci-Fi, Fantasy, True Crime, History, Supernatural, Low Fantasy, High Fantasy, ... man I read almost every genre, but romance. 

You have me beat by three books at this point (I just broke a hundred for the year). I don't consider myself a very fast reader, however, as some folks I know from another site regularly top two and even the hundred books a year, plus magazines. :) 

For the ebook reader who misses the smell of books, there are now products on the market to help them cope! http://smellofbooks.com/ :D 

My reading is all over the place, but my mainstays are mystery, science, science-fiction, non-fiction, and the occasional classic.

do any of you read the free books on line? I have a kindle and I buy  very few books, most that I do buy are 99 cents or 1.99.

I mostly read fiction & have enough to read for the next 6 months.

On 12/21/2016 at 11:28 AM, cinwa said:

I'm an avid reader - Jane Austen being my passion ... I can read her works over and over.  

Right now for the umpteenth time, it's Pride & Prejudice - my all-time favourite - made all the special because my DH bought me a first edition Hugh Thomson for my 50th birthday.

I need to read some more Austin.I did read Pride and Prejudice, and it was a great novel. Didn't enjoy Seth Graham-Smith's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies nearly as much, although I have to say that

I got a kick out of the way Graham-Smith hacked the first proposal by Mr. Darcy. Austin had Elizabeth delivering a classic put-down in response to his declaration of love. In the Zombies version, she kung-fu kicked him into the fireplace, after which the two of them engaged in a marital arts battle!

BTW, if you're into that kind of thing, I found the sequel, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: Dreadfully Ever After by Steve Hockensmith, to be far more enjoyable than the Seth Graham-Smith book. Neither, of course, can hold a candle to Austin, but the Hockensmith was funny.

16 hours ago, Tom Sharpe said:

I need to read some more Austin.I did read Pride and Prejudice, and it was a great novel. Didn't enjoy Seth Graham-Smith's Pride and Prejudice and Zombies nearly as much, although I have to say that

Not a book but the DVD Lost in Austen is a spin on Pride and Prejudice and a joy to watch IMHO.

As DVD's go, it's pretty pricey but my library has it in stock.  I decided to buy a copy in the end - I liked it that much.

Happy Holidays, everyone!

IMG_2039.JPG

That is superb Tom!  I love it!

I have a half dozen books going all the time, both hard copy and Kindle. There are several daily lists of free and lost cost Kimdle books arranged by category. I tend to like non fiction and historical novels. Here is one site: http://kindlenationdaily.com/kindle-nation-daily-free-and-bargain-book-listings/

I'm usually reading both a paper book and an ebook. I'm re-reading Harry Potter in paper. My ebook is Night Film by Marisha Pessl. It's very interesting. 

EReaders have spoiled me. I rarely read a paper book these days, and then only if I can't find it in an electronic edition. I believe the last paper book I read was The Gay Nineties by R.V. Culter; a 1927 long out of print book. I have adapted the habit as of late of keeping one Kindle book and one audiobook going simultaneously. At one time I was reading up to 10 books at a time on my Kindle, but I made a conscious effort to stop beginning one book before I'd finished another.

Edited by Tom Sharpe

Try as I may, I can't get on with EReaders.

I never buy a new book if I can help it.  There's something about holding an old book - the smell and the feeling of knowing that others have held and (hopefully) enjoyed it I guess.

I've been a big fan of audio books since they first appeared on cassettes.

I didn't get into audiobooks, but lately I've been listening to podcasts. 

Just now, Clickin said:

I didn't get into audiobooks, but lately I've been listening to podcasts. 

I drive a lot, up to 50k miles a year. There are world class narrators out there, and they make a huge difference.

what do you do with all the paper backs you have read?? that is another reason I like my kindle.

27 minutes ago, Bigfuzzy said:

what do you do with all the paper backs you have read?? that is another reason I like my kindle.

I use my local library for books (and DVD's).

Tricked - Kevin Hearne;   4th book of the Iron Druid series.

My current paper book is HP- Order of the Phoenix and ebook is The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith which is the second book following Child 44. This Russian propaganda business is so interesting and though it takes place early Cold War it feels pretty current given all the absolute craziness and division going on these days. 

17 minutes ago, vsgguy said:

Have you seen the movie version of Child 44?

I am reading Imagine me gone - Adam Haslett

I did, it was decent. It will be interesting to see if they continue to film these. I will have to check out IMDb. 

26 minutes ago, Clickin said:

I did, it was decent. It will be interesting to see if they continue to film these. I will have to check out IMDb. 

How did the movie compare to the book?

@vsgguyHave you read the books? I had read the book well in advance of seeing the movie.

I don't think the movie could ever possibly show the complexity and distrust of Leo and Raisa's marriage. 

Other than that, I thought it was a good version of the book.