Nach

Post Op 4 Days & Second Guessing

30 posts in this topic

Hi everyone. I had Gastric bypass on Wednesday, 12/14/16. With a family history of everything imaginable, diabetes, cancer, heart attack, sleep apnea,  GRD, etc.. I knew I had to do something different if I wanted to live past my early 50's. I'm 43 now. Had a sister who died of cancer at 53 I think... a brother who died of a heart attack at 52... and I am I CONSTANT worrier. At 368 lbs, my knees started giving out, and I had to have 2 back surgeries - the 2nd of which is coming up in January.  So after diets, on my own and medically supervised... along with exercise, all of the fad crap, and everything else, I decided to step it up and ask about surgery.  I was approved and long story short, here I am 4 days post op.  I'm missing food like a drowning man misses air, but I keep telling myself that I had to do this. My only real concern is that I feel so bloated that I can barely drink water or Crystal Light. I seem to do OK with getting my 1.5 ozs of protein down. Tonight I seasoned chicken breasts and grilled them. Then weighed out 1.5 ounces for dinner protein. The bloatedness though is keeping me from getting my protein shake down in between meals. I take Pepcid and last night I found a little relief in an extra strength tums. Anyone have suggestions on how to help me get past this bloating left over from the surgery? The bloat is just so much though that it has me wondering if i should have done this or not. It just hurts. The inscisions don't hurt... nothing else hurts...  other than that, everything seems to be going along great. Anyone have suggestions to help this?

Melo32 and NerdyLady like this

Welcome. Hang in there. We have all been where you are now and it will get much better. Just stick with the diet and drink enough liquids. Remember, your surgery will allow you to become skinny and active, and most importantly healthy. You can do it. We are here to support you. 

I have never regretted having my gastric bypass. 

allgreen112 and Melo32 like this

Thank you, Res Ipsa. I guess I am just having my moments of weakness where the gas pain is overwhelming. I try to explain to my family, it's not the surgery. There is virtually no pain from the surgery part, but it's just from the gas that gets trapped inside your body. I do have to admit that I have fallen down on my liquid intake since leaving the hospital.  My assignment from the Dr was 100 ounces of liquid (water, Crystal Light, protein shake, sugar free Jello, sugar free Popsicles)... but with the bloated feeling, I haven't been able to get that much down. One thing that does help is protein. As stated before, I grilled chicken breasts and weighed out 1.5 ounces. Then cut the pieces into little cubes about 5/16" square. The first 2 or 3 pieces caused discomfort as they settled in my still healing, new pouch. But with a reminder to myself to chew about 25 times before I swallow, and to put the fork down between bites, I soon started feeling better. 

Tomorrow is another day. I hope each day will get easier and easier. Pre-surgery, I was drinking between 1.5 gallons and 2 gallons of water per day. So, now I'm trying to relearn how to drink and stay hydrated as the previous amounts aren't possible for me now. As the dr put it, "Post-op, you have to keep up hydration, and not catch up with hydration." You can't let the hydration get ahead of you, because it's hard to catch up.  Just have to focus on my 100 ounces of liquid, and the 120 grams of protein per day. Both seem to be worthy challenges. Haha. I haven't gotten close to either of them since leaving the hospital.  

Anyway, thank y'all for the forum and having a chance to connect with people who have gone through it and understand what I'm feeling or talking about. My family just looks at me like I'm speaking Greek. They aren't much support. My wife is addicted to Coca-Cola and potato chips, and the first or second night home, my daughter was baking cookies - making the house smell like I'd died and gone to cookie heaven. Lol.

And... Even though, the craving for those cookies is still there, I haven't given in to temptation!! 

#proud :D

Edited by Nach
Carina, Cheesehead, Res Ipsa and 1 other like this

Just remember.. A goal is just that.. a goal.  The first few days, you may (probably will) fall a little short of that goal.  Just try your best, and leave the rest behind!

You are only 4 days post op... at that point I was on thick liquids; yogurt with milk added...then at 12 days I graduated to chili, refried beans, cottage cheese, then it was ground meat (meat loaf..). Chicken is really dense and many cannot handle it for months...

good luck...

LeeC and Nach like this

I found out that you are correct, Cheesehead. I was shredding it up, very, very finely thinking that was pureed. I didn't realize the mistake I have been making until I called into the Dr's office and talked to the nurse about the bloated feeling that I have been having. She explained it as I should be eating pudding consistency, and the chicken wasn't being digested correctly, thereby causing the bloating feeling. So I didn't eat anything, and drank as little as possible, for about 6 hours. Then I heated a can of cream of chicken soup and sipped that. The warm soup really helped settle my stomach. I think if it's cold, such as water, it's hard for me to drink because it hurts my chest and stomach. But sugar free hot chocolate, hot chicken soup, etc. doesn't hurt and I can get it down without any problems. Is that normal?

5 minutes ago, Nach said:

I found out that you are correct, Cheesehead. I was shredding it up, very, very finely thinking that was pureed. I didn't realize the mistake I have been making until I called into the Dr's office and talked to the nurse about the bloated feeling that I have been having. She explained it as I should be eating pudding consistency, and the chicken wasn't being digested correctly, thereby causing the bloating feeling. So I didn't eat anything, and drank as little as possible, for about 6 hours. Then I heated a can of cream of chicken soup and sipped that. The warm soup really helped settle my stomach. I think if it's cold, such as water, it's hard for me to drink because it hurts my chest and stomach. But sugar free hot chocolate, hot chicken soup, etc. doesn't hurt and I can get it down without any problems. Is that normal?

It is normal to have problems with solid food early on that is not chewed into total pureed mush.  The pureed period ends quickly enough, thankfully.  It is also normal for a person's stomach after surgery to strongly prefer hot, warm or cold liquids - everyone is a bit different on food temperature, so you should try all three temperatures and see what works best for you.

It is also normal after surgery to have trouble drinking a lot of water - it can fill you up very fast or feel "heavy"  If this is true for you (and it was and still is true for me), then try drinking flavored no calorie drinks that are allowed on your diet - like herbal tea, decaf iced tea (without sugar), Vitamin Water Zero, water with a twist of lemon or lime in it, or water with some no calorie flavoring drops or powder (such as Crystal Light).

@Nach It sounds like you have gas trapped from surgery. Walk, walk, walk to expel it. That should bring relief.

Res Ipsa likes this

On 12/19/2016 at 0:04 AM, Nach said:

Anyway, thank y'all for the forum and having a chance to connect with people who have gone through it and understand what I'm feeling or talking about. My family just looks at me like I'm speaking Greek. They aren't much support. My wife is addicted to Coca-Cola and potato chips, and the first or second night home, my daughter was baking cookies - making the house smell like I'd died and gone to cookie heaven. Lol.

And... Even though, the craving for those cookies is still there, I haven't given in to temptation!! 

#proud :D

Congrats on resisting cookie and Coke temptation, lol. The struggle is real. You should feel proud. I don't know if your wife has a weight problem, but I'm finding that I'm inspiring family members who once said they wouldn't dream of WLS. My brother, for instance, swore up and down he wouldn't consider surgery. But now that he's seen me months later, he's having a change of heart. And my mother has now committed herself to losing weight from stress-eating over my dad's cancer diagnosis. She recognizes she must take care of herself as well. When you hold firm and people around you see your success, they'll be more inclined to come around and make changes in their own lives. Keep up the good fight. May you be an influential success story and shepherd everyone in your family into healthier living.

Edited by Kimchan
NerdyLady and allgreen112 like this

Thank you both so much. I'm slowly making it through each day. I have now found that if I make chicken salad then grind it up in a food processor until it's almost smooth, I can eat that without any problem. Only issue I have is wanting to eat too much of it. But other than that, after reading on here, I started experimenting with different temps of water to see if I could find one that worked. Cold was definitely out, I did OK with just over room temp, and while warm water went down very easy, who likes to drink warm water?? I have discovered cold milk does fine, as does Lemonade flavored Vitamin Water Zero. 

I do have to admit of one stupid thing that I did do, and immediately wished I hadn't.  I had drank a protein shake, and my mouth was feeling thickly coated. I had been cleaning up the kitchen, just about done, when I reached and grabbed a cup. Without thinking, I quickly dashed it under the running water and took a big gulp of water, just as I used to do. About the time I finished the big gulp, I remembered... "you idiot!" What followed, in actuality, took less than 5 minutes, however I have been through relationships that didn't last as long as what this felt like. As soon as I made my mistake,  I had what felt like an elephant sitting on my chest, and stomach pain like I had just been stabbed. I paced back and forth from the kitchen, through the hall, and into the master bedroom... trying to breathe as deeply as I could to try and get this elephant off my chest so I may once again breathe properly. Finally, about 5 lifetimes later, the pain and pressure subsided and I was ok. Note to self: "Don't you EVER, AND I MEAN EVER, do that again!!!" 'Sip, sip, sip, sip' is what I need to have tattooed on the side of my hand so I see it everytime I start to take a drink.

NerdyLady and ShrinkingViolet2 like this

You may regain your ability to "chug" liquids - I did about three months after my surgery.

One advantage of gastric bypass over the sleeve is that for many of us liquids can flow very rapidly from our stomachs into our intestines, which can allow us (once the post op swelling down there ends) to drink a lot at one time as we can fill both our intestines and our stomach. 

For example, most mornings I drink about 50 oz of liquids in about 30 minutes - just like I did before my surgery. 

ShrinkingViolet2 likes this

I can only manage 8 ounces at a time.  Otherwise it just doesn't go down.  I've always loved ice cold.  Used to hate coffee but even that I like iced now.  And I really don't like plain water unless I'm dying of thirst.  My dr, told me the first 6 months were a learning time.  He was so right..

stay strong and resist temptation.  If it ain't protein don't go there...  

Edited by Cheesehead

for me, my tastes changed frequently. At about 9 months, I threw up every protein shake in the world. Still cannot tolerate them. I still get some reflux for which I take Protonix but still have episodes of nausea. All of these symptoms are unpredictable, so I always carry peppermint candy and if home drink peppermint tea. The peppermint helps sometimes, other times I have to take a Zofran. I am not trying to scare you but to let you know that for some people tastes and tolerability can change without notice.

I'm a sleever, and I can drink liquids mostly the way I used to. I wouldn't say I gulp them, but I can tolerate big volumes in a sitting at 5 and a half months out.

I'm sorry you had that horrible experience, but in some ways I admire the fact that bypassers get sick when they've overdone it. I think it's a good warning system that most of my GBP friends do everything they can to avoid.  Once in a while if I overeat I'll feel the desire to throw it up (sorry for being graphic), and I do. This doesn't happen often (maybe once a month), but I don't want to transfer one addiction into another: overeating to bulemia. 

Sometimes I wish I'd had the GBP for the malabsorption and the stricter eating parameters, but I'm happy overall with my decision.

You'll probably be able to drink more liquids eventually; just listen to your body's warnings.

Edited by Kimchan

Had my 2 week follow up visit today. I got my lashings about not eating enough, or drinking enough liquids. Also, I'm not getting enough protein as I can't find a protein shake that I like enough to get it down. As a sample, they gave me a Vanilla flavored Premier Protein drink. It's not awful, if you like to sip imitation vanilla extract from the bottle. *Yuck*  When I can afford it, I intend to get both, a chocolate and a caramel flavored version of the same kind, to see if I like either of those. At Walmart, they are a little over $6 for a 4-pk... so not too terribly priced. 

On a positive note, I have lost weight. My weight at surgery was approx 340 lbs. and that was 2 weeks ago, yesterday. As of weigh-in today, I was at 315 lbs. So, that's 25 lbs in 2 weeks. My BMI was 40.6 today, which is exciting for me because I have been morbidly obese my entire adult life. So, 0.6% more, and I'll be out of the morbidly obese category and into the obese category. I consider that a huge accomplishment. My goal is 210 lbs, so I have 105 lbs to go. I can't wait to take my pictures of me standing there, in my old jeans, with them stretched way out in front of me.  At 2 weeks out, do I still hate not being able to eat or drink? Yes. Am I still miserable everyday because I can't drink water, or even eat soft foods without my esophagus spasming  and causing extremely bad pain from my throat to my stomach? Yes. But do I see the bigger picture here and see that I'm able to lose weight to make myself healthier - something I've never been able to do? Yes. Am I going to continue and reach my goal? Yes. And finally, do you know why?  Because I have all of you to provide encouragement and support to keep me going and knowing that one day, I will heal. One day, I'll be able to drink water. One day, I'll be able to eat the foods I'm supposed to eat and not hurt or have the spasming that I have now. And I want to say thank you to each one of you, for your support, advice, and help. 

Res Ipsa, Carina, NerdyLady and 1 other like this

4 hours ago, Nach said:

Had my 2 week follow up visit today. I got my lashings about not eating enough, or drinking enough liquids. Also, I'm not getting enough protein as I can't find a protein shake that I like enough to get it down. As a sample, they gave me a Vanilla flavored Premier Protein drink. It's not awful, if you like to sip imitation vanilla extract from the bottle. *Yuck*  When I can afford it, I intend to get both, a chocolate and a caramel flavored version of the same kind, to see if I like either of those. At Walmart, they are a little over $6 for a 4-pk... so not too terribly priced. 

On a positive note, I have lost weight. My weight at surgery was approx 340 lbs. and that was 2 weeks ago, yesterday. As of weigh-in today, I was at 315 lbs. So, that's 25 lbs in 2 weeks. My BMI was 40.6 today, which is exciting for me because I have been morbidly obese my entire adult life. So, 0.6% more, and I'll be out of the morbidly obese category and into the obese category. I consider that a huge accomplishment. My goal is 210 lbs, so I have 105 lbs to go. I can't wait to take my pictures of me standing there, in my old jeans, with them stretched way out in front of me.  At 2 weeks out, do I still hate not being able to eat or drink? Yes. Am I still miserable everyday because I can't drink water, or even eat soft foods without my esophagus spasming  and causing extremely bad pain from my throat to my stomach? Yes. But do I see the bigger picture here and see that I'm able to lose weight to make myself healthier - something I've never been able to do? Yes. Am I going to continue and reach my goal? Yes. And finally, do you know why?  Because I have all of you to provide encouragement and support to keep me going and knowing that one day, I will heal. One day, I'll be able to drink water. One day, I'll be able to eat the foods I'm supposed to eat and not hurt or have the spasming that I have now. And I want to say thank you to each one of you, for your support, advice, and help. 

Great job so far!  It really does get a lot better a few weeks after surgery. 

By the way the pre-made Premier Protein chocolate protein shakes are the only protein shakes that I like. They taste like chocolate milk and give you 30 grams of protein. 

Nach awesome job!!! and I really appreciate you being open about your experience. I am pre- surgery so I like to see the different post surgery results.sounds like you are doing great!! and already down that much!!! congrats!

Questions for all: for protein shakes - I have always hated protein shakes but don't mind the slimfast ones - are those fair game or actually bad?

33 minutes ago, EmmaNoel said:

Questions for all: for protein shakes - I have always hated protein shakes but don't mind the slimfast ones - are those fair game or actually bad?

My guideline for protein shake was 30-40 grams of protein with no more than 5 or 6 carbohydrates. I looked up the nutritional information on Slimfast, and they show 20 grams of protein with 6 carbohydrates. So, I guess it would squeak by if you couldn't find any other brands that you like, but there certainly are more beneficial protein shakes that you could drink. Hope this helps.

EmmaNoel likes this

Bottom line - the best protein shake in the world is the one you're able to drink on a regular basis.

allgreen112, EmmaNoel and Res Ipsa like this

Have you tried any of the Syntrax Nectar protein powders??  The Fuzzy Navel blended with Trop50 OJ and frozen peaches are the best thing on earth (at least to me!)!!

I believe you can get a sampler pack of the Syntrax Nectars on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Nectar-Grab-variety-pack-15-packets/dp/B01IW5VA3K/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1483134368&sr=8-1&keywords=syntrax+nectar+sample+pack

Cheesehead likes this

If and when you tolerate cold, the rtd shakes are pretty good partially frozen so they get slushy.  Kinda like a shake..  further out you can blend fruit in the vanilla ones..   I like Syntrax.  Chocolate and mocha are good together..  I've mixed the chocolate with decade cold coffee too.  Just some ideas.  If you have a Hy-Vee store they have 10 per cent off on wednesdays on protein powders.  They have quest and some Syntrax flavors.  Just some ideas...

I'm joining this thread very late, but, if I can help one person later who is scrolling and searching like me, that's good. My surgery is Thursday, and I'm sick of protein drinks, both Premier Protein which is really ok and vanilla protein powder mixed with unsweetened almond or cashew milk and pulverized fruit. I'm getting through these last days by adding sugar free syrup to both the chocolate and vanilla Premier Protein. The hazelnut and salted caramel syrups add new dimension although I'm tasting the fakey flavor a bit more in the salted caramel, but both have been a lifesaver (for the non-surgery candidate my mom likes it in her cocoa and possibly coffee).

Update - about 2.5 weeks post op and had to stop Premier Protein as my taste buds didn't like it. Now I'm drinking GNC vanilla bean or strawberry & cream. I've heard that changing taste buds is not uncommon. Now I have to figure out my pureed schedule ... everything is new, and it's difficult if you pureed a full can of something - if you don't like it, it takes forever to finish at 1/4 cup per meal! In the past two days I've tasted chili, hash, mashed potatoes, lasagna cheese/sauce without noodles, pureed tuna tomorrow --- I don't want to go back to the cream based soup or greek yogurt as neither very filling to me. It's hard, but I'm looking to the future.

And just as you like something for a while it becomes ick...glad things are going better..

slars04 likes this