Jabsie

Trouble getting away from protein powder

12 posts in this topic

I've been trying to eliminate protein powder from my diet at the suggestion of the nutritionist whose preference is to get protein from real/whole food sources. The only time of the day I use the powder is in a smoothie I make in the morning with almond milk and either fruit and veggies or unsweetened cocoa powder....like almost every morning. Shortly after I was sleeved, I noticed that my appetite is more easily kept at bay when I front loaded the day with protein so I try having my largest percentage of protein in the mornings. I'm having a tough time finding things as protein dense as the powder. I've tried replacing the powder with FF plain greek yogurt but the recommended serving is 1 cup and even that only has about half the protein of the powder....and frankly, that's just a lot of yogurt. I like eggs but they are the one and only thing that sits heavy in my sleeve. The absolute most I can eat at once are 2. I've gone back to my faithful smoothie in the morning because the days I tried something else, it was harder to stick to my plan. Any suggestions for breakfast with super high protein that are 'real food' would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Jabsie

Interested in the answers you will get. My "home" dietician is fine with protein powder, but the hospital's doesn't want them for the same reason yours gave.

Jabsie likes this

Breakfast is not limited to breakfast-esque foods.  I eat hamburgers, salads, fish - all sorts of things for breakfast. 

Res Ipsa and Jabsie like this

I can't gag down breakfast. Can't stand eggs anymore.. my NUT says to do what you have to do to get your protein in..  I also dona protein bar on days where food just doesn't sound good..I use Syntrax so it's roughly 28 gr protein per 100 calories.  I think it's the best protein to calorie ratio...

so people just has issues with breakfast..  can you do nuts?  PB 2 powder?  Cheese?  Jerky? Lunchmeat and cheese roll ups?  

Jabsie likes this

I've had a morning protien shake every day for years now. The only time I don't is when I'm staying with family somewhere else. I've switched now to a proper meal replacement shake just to guarantee vitamin and mineral supplements but only because I now replace lunch as well. While my family practioner hates that I do, my surgeon is delighted I've found a workable solution to my currently highly compromised digestive system. It's quick, it's easy, and it's relatively cheap.

Do whatever works for you. Nutritionists aren't the be all to end all when it comes to your unique body. My medical team won't even let me consult one because they (certainly the ones where I live) tend to have a one path only strategy, and they know it would just frustrate me to have to keep telling them I can't physically eat the way they'd want me to. That will change after my revision, but even then, while I'll listen to what they have to say, I'll still do only the things that I know will work for me and keep me as healthy as I can be.

My nutritionist also makes the same recommendation but I haven't been able to get it done either on food alone. If I do shakes, my protein is closer to 90 and calories under 800. A no shake day is closer to 60 protein, over 1,000 calories and weight loss stalls.

Shakes are fast and convenient, it's hard to pass them up.

Res Ipsa, Jabsie and Aussie H like this

I'm over 9 years out and I still start the day with a protein shake.  My NUT was OK with that because I don't eat eat (fish and shellfish are fine but I don't want that every meal).

Bottom line, you have to do what works for you.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. One protein shake a day, which sits well with you, fills you up, and helps you feel better in control of your eating for the rest of the day? That's your golden ticket. You can focus on whole foods the rest of the day.  I was a vegetarian for 17 years and should have a wing with my name on it at whole foods, i've spent so much money there. I'm all about whole foods, but we are bariatric patients. If whole foods alone were the answer, we wouldn't have needed surgery in the first place. No disrespect to your nutritionist, but (god forgive me), sometimes they're just too focused on the "ideal" and rules and forget that we are all individuals and we may need to do what works for us sometimes. Honey. Drink those shakes.  Signed, a girl who eats mostly protein bars. 

On 12/16/2016 at 8:27 PM, Cheesehead said:

I can't gag down breakfast. Can't stand eggs anymore.. my NUT says to do what you have to do to get your protein in..  I also dona protein bar on days where food just doesn't sound good..I use Syntrax so it's roughly 28 gr protein per 100 calories.  I think it's the best protein to calorie ratio...

so people just has issues with breakfast..  can you do nuts?  PB 2 powder?  Cheese?  Jerky? Lunchmeat and cheese roll ups?  

My NUT also told me that as long as i'm getting it in, and it's not more than one protein shake a day, it's not a problem. I can't do breakfast unless it's liquid. My father is 3 years out of having the bypass and still uses a shake a day and he's maintaining! 

Do what you can do! You're making a great choice in the morning, it's no glass of chocolate milk and donut! 

Jabsie and Res Ipsa like this

I agree with the others.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  If You are maintaining your loss, you have energy and feel good, who cares where the protein is coming from?!?  I never understood why nuts dis protein shakes.  Whey protein is the #1 best, most efficiently absorbed form of protein available.  Better than fish, beef, pork, eggs, tofu, chicken, etc.  Why would you want to cut that out of your diet?  I'm just over three years out and I still drink protein shakes and eat quest bars.

Jabsie, Cheesehead, Res Ipsa and 1 other like this

This is great feedback everyone, thank you!

sorry but I throw up every protein shake in the world. I found soy based cereal on Amazon and I have that with fairlife milk I do okay. Or else I have a Dannon lite and fit Greek yogurt with a few nuts and an ounce of cheese. I usually meet my protein goals, especially when I have fish for lunch and or dinner.