Forgetmenot220

Alcohol....

8 posts in this topic

I think it's become a problem. Ack. I struggled before WLS, went to AA for a bit but it wasn't my cup of tea and then they started telling me I didn't need my psych meds, that it was all my alcoholism. My therapist told me I didn't really need AA, just needed the boost to be more mindful about alcohol. 

Now I throw back whole bottles of wine, get totally drunk in a short period of time and love the feeling. :/ I do not drink beer and rarely hard liquor but I do enjoy shots. 

Idk, I shouldn't romanticize it. I see wine and I want it. Guess it's an issue and my husband read about addiction transfer but I told myself oh, that won't happen to me. 

**pulls out SMART recovery manual**

<3

tmcgee likes this

Have WLS makes it that much tougher to kick....it takes 1/2 glass of wine to make you legally impaired. By the time your brain realizes it, it's too late as the 4th shot/glass is already down the hatch. Much easier to get blackouts, and if a carb heavy drink, the insulin response can be all over the place, adding to the problem. Get support, try a different AA group, go online, whatever it takes before something happens. A lot of my WLS friends have gotten into huge problems with DUIs and injuries as a result of ETOH use. I"ve watched my ex who had RNY too, go through some nasty *&amp;^% with his alcoholism, I'm surprised he's not dead. Soon though, he has Hepatitis C now. He's been in the hospital 30 or 40 times in the past 10 years. He eventually tried heroin during one of his drunken stupors. There's warrants out for him. He's done jail time, detoxed hundreds of times, wrecked cars, broken bones....regained all of his weight back (started at 450, got to 225). Nasty, nasty disease. 

Res Ipsa and tmcgee like this

It sounds like it's definitely a problem.  I'm really surprised a therapist told you that you just need to be more mindful of your drinking. If you are an alcoholic, the only thing on your mind should be getting through every second, minute, and hour, and day, and week, without alcohol.  Please find help and support to stop. It really is a terrible disease. 

GAviv, Res Ipsa, tmcgee and 1 other like this

Alcohol became a big problem for me some years after my gastric bypass.  I didn't drink before surgery except for occasional wine with dinner or celebratory champagne.  Then i really started loving champagne - the taste of it, the feel of the glass and of course the happy feeling one glass would bring.  I would drink first only on weekends, then it became weekends and sometimes while cooking, then i started really wanting it and having it around all the time.  still I didn't think it was a problem until a few times when I drank too much I blacked out.  I used to just fall asleep at first, but the blackouts became more frequent and were very scary.  I would wake up and realize i had driven to the supermarket and bought more alcohol... and then cooked... but had absolutely no memory of any of it.  still blackouts were the exception.  I only blacked out back then about once a month or every few months so i kept thinking i could control it.  i could not.  i cannot.

I went to OA for years in the 1980s and 1990s for the food addiction.  I know the program and am grateful now because it's changed to AA... but for me it's all related. 

I smile when I see addiction transfer.  Like doctors warning us to take care of first addiction (food presumably) in case it gets transferred to something else after surgery... like alcohol or drugs.  In my case, I think i could be addicted to anything given the chance.  an addiction is not easy to fix esp a few weeks before weight loss surgery.

Edited by shmooshy
tmcgee, vsgguy and slars04 like this

On 2017-02-05 at 0:45 PM, shmooshy said:

Alcohol became a big problem for me some years after my gastric bypass.  I didn't drink before surgery except for occasional wine with dinner or celebratory champagne.  Then i really started loving champagne - the taste of it, the feel of the glass and of course the happy feeling one glass would bring.  I would drink first only on weekends, then it became weekends and sometimes while cooking, then i started really wanting it and having it around all the time.  still I didn't think it was a problem until a few times when I drank too much I blacked out.  I used to just fall asleep at first, but the blackouts became more frequent and were very scary.  I would wake up and realize i had driven to the supermarket and bought more alcohol... and then cooked... but had absolutely no memory of any of it.  still blackouts were the exception.  I only blacked out back then about once a month or every few months so i kept thinking i could control it.  i could not.  i cannot.

I went to OA for years in the 1980s and 1990s for the food addiction.  I know the program and am grateful now because it's changed to AA... but for me it's all related. 

I smile when I see addiction transfer.  Like doctors warning us to take care of first addiction (food presumably) in case it gets transferred to something else after surgery... like alcohol or drugs.  In my case, I think i could be addicted to anything given the chance.  an addiction is not easy to fix esp a few weeks before weight loss surgery.

Alcohol post gastric bypass surgery is lethal. I am 6 years post surgery. Alcohol is a big issue. The binge drinking and blackouts. Very scary. I'm happy I read your story. I'm not alone. You're not alone. I'm also back into the sugar. The weight is creeping back after all these years. I'm frantic. 

Im going give it my best shot to stop with both.

The surgery was a gift. Don't take it for granted. ;)

dredfern, vsgguy and tmcgee like this

I am 6 months post-surgery and have been curious about how I will handle alcohol. I also thought that gastric bypass patients (such as myself) could never have carbonation after surgery. How did the carbonation affect you?

Congratulations with your success overcoming your challenges! I wish you great success in the future!

tmcgee likes this

1 hour ago, noplacelikeom said:

I am 6 months post-surgery and have been curious about how I will handle alcohol. I also thought that gastric bypass patients (such as myself) could never have carbonation after surgery. How did the carbonation affect you?

Congratulations with your success overcoming your challenges! I wish you great success in the future!

I can handle a little carbonation, but it was a few years before that was possible. In the early days, I just couldn't take it. When I say a little, I mean a beer on a hot summer night, and only one at that. Alcohol is not a good place for me to go after RNY, so while I do, it's extremely rare.

LeeC likes this

On 4/15/2017 at 11:32 AM, noplacelikeom said:

My suggestion is, if you attempt alcohol do so for the first time at home until you know how you react.  In most cases it makes me sick.  Wishing I could die, wishing I could heave my guts out sick.  If for some reason it doesn't make me sick, I get extremely  drunk for about 10 minutes.  If find its just best for me not to drink.  I don't like wine or beer so have not tried them.