Aussie H

[LIGHTHEARTED] What did/do you REALLY look forward to after your weightloss?

Having a day of pretty extreme foot pain today, so I need a good laugh. No doubt everyone has very serious reasons for wanting such serious surgery. That said I'm sure many also have thought of less serious advantages for losing most or all of their excess weight. So here's a thread for sharing some of them.

The biggie for me is wanting to see the look on my orthopaedic surgeon's face when I walk through his door again. After many consults over 12 months, a cast, and months in a moonboot, he told me I needed a navicular-cuniform fusion but wouldn't be eligible until my BMI was <30. He told me not to even bother making another appointment until I'd lost at least 28kg (62lbs) and made it pretty clear that he never expected to see me again. I REALLY look forward to flicking him the bird after getting a referral to another surgeon. :D

Edited by Aussie H

Yeah, my ortho refuses to replace my knee until after significant weight loss. I'm probably not going to flip him the bird, but I look forward to getting my knee repaired!

Keeping it lighthearted and fun.  ROLLERCOASTERS!  Not having to worry about fitting in the seat.

6 hours ago, Carina said:

Yeah, my ortho refuses to replace my knee until after significant weight loss. I'm probably not going to flip him the bird, but I look forward to getting my knee repaired!

Mine told me last visit (after 12 months of taking my money) that he doesn't really want to do this particular surgery anyway so will refer me to someone who does it more often than him. He was my second ortho as well, first one wouldn't even look at the foot let alone treat it.  He just won't do the referral until after I hit the required BMI.

were do I start........ better health, tie my own shoes, cute clothes, no more lectures from my mom and dad ( even at 53) about being fat and old looking, no more eating sweets until I passed out in a sugar coma, and on and on. 

But most of all, FEELING BETTER!!!!!!  At a little over 3 months out and 64lbs. Off I feel so much better, sleeping better, no more 3 hour naps everyday. And, yes, likening myself again   

I looked forward to better health.  I was on 18 pills a day.  Now I take 1.  I never really connected it in my head that I would be smaller than an xl...(I was 2xl).  I have Charcot joint syndrome in my ankles due to years of diabetes.  The only fix for them is to have my ankles reconstructed and have no weight bearing for a year-I'm not ready for that.  I wear orthotics and still manage to get 10,000 steps a day in,..

1 hour ago, Cheesehead said:

I looked forward to better health.  I was on 18 pills a day.  Now I take 1.  I never really connected it in my head that I would be smaller than an xl...(I was 2xl).  I have Charcot joint syndrome in my ankles due to years of diabetes.  The only fix for them is to have my ankles reconstructed and have no weight bearing for a year-I'm not ready for that.  I wear orthotics and still manage to get 10,000 steps a day in,..

Have to admit that I'd like to find out if I really do have a "large frame". Ha ha, I think all people who have lived their entire lives obese, probably think they are large-framed. I definitely have strong and therefore heavy bones (Z score is +2.5), so time will tell I guess.

My foot surgery is only 3 months non-weightbearing (in a cast) with the next 12 limited weight bearing. It will be a nightmare but I'm ready for it though as any more walking than a couple of hundred metres (I also have orthotics) and my foot is knackered for the rest of the day. It is just so restrictive, along with painful. Used to get in around 15,000 steps a day on average until the fracture. Stationary bike riding isn't too bad and I force myself to sweat out 10K a day, still aggravates it but I have to do something. Swimming aggravates it as much as walking does though. I've found pain to be a great motivator now I know there is a weight restriction for surgery.

I AM going to wipe that smug smile off my ortho's face asap, regardless of when my revisional surgery happens. Fortunately I don't have to be over a certain BMI for that, the lower the better according to my bariatric surgeon.

I've had many broken bones since childhood, I'm sure I single handedly financed multiple major fishing vacations for my ortho surgeon. I have OI (brittle bones) and after 3 broken bones a year ago my count is not 239 breaks since birth. My excess weight added to the aches and pains and mobility issues that this caused me. I'm looking forward to less aches and pains after a normal day of activity. 

I'm looking forward to not have secretly hope that when a hostess at a restaurant takes us to a booth I will be still be able to breathe once I sit down, and never have again explain that the table she led us to will not work because I can't fit.

I look forward to not having to look at a rack of clothes to find the biggest sizes, and decide if it's big enough for me to wear it comfortably. 

I'm 36 hours (give or take) from my surgery on Wednesday morning..... I'm ready.

@Pincushion So happy for you! Please let us know how everything goes! :D

Edited by AdrianVV

I very much was looking forward to being at the gym with the new year's resolution people and NOT being told by someone who just showed  up what I could do to really kick start my weight loss (I was an avid gym goer at 240+). Sad to say that even as a very strong size 4, even this year after running two marathons and the gym staff knowing me by name, I had a guy explain to me how once I really got into it, I wouldn't breathe heavy ( I will always sound like that, i have a collapsed vocal chord and that just makes the fact I can run a 7:30 mile that much more badass). 

The thing I was really looking forward to that did happen, was when I tried on clothes and sucked it in to see if I could zip, and then realize I didn't need to suck it in. And even sometimes it was just too big!

Being able to shop in more stores and having more choice! Playing a team sport like soccer or rugby. 

Mostly just looking forward to being able to move around more easily!

I'm just looking forward to being able to walk without so much foot/ankle pain! And for flights to be so much easier.

Let's see I'm looking forward to being able to keep up with my very active almost 5 year old, being able to fit in the seats at the amusement parks. Also getting back into horseback riding, I miss it a lot.

I wanted to be able to meet new people and not have them instantly judge me due to being overweight.  

Now that I am at (or a bit below) my goal weight, when I meet people for the first time they have no idea that I used to weight 130 pounds more.

Getting rid of stress incontinence which was solely due to weight.  And I did get rid of it after about 75lbs of loss.  Its so nice to feel like a normal 30+ year old in this regard!

There are many reasons, but a fun one is that I am the baby sister, yet I've always been the fattest.  Now I am on my way to be the smallest, cant wait till next time we all get together and I can look at the photos and smile instead on cringe.

As a lot of you said, there are SO MANY things but a couple that stand out for me are:

Wearing cute clothes! I finally love to go shopping and love to buy clothes and such small sizes! It is so freeing~I still can hardy believe it. 

Eating in front of people. People I know, strangers-whoever. I don't have guilt or shame. I enjoy standing in a line for pot-luck (which I did yesterday at church) and there's no judgement! None! All those yucky feelings and thoughts are gone. 

Photos. I'm always ready with a smile. I love seeing pictures of myself. Even the less flattering ones are awesome in comparison to when I was heavy. 

Driving the cute and tiny mercedes SLK convertible...fitting into airline seats...surfing, sex, bungee jumping, traveling, skiing, horseback riding, dog sledding....to name a few fun things. 

8 hours ago, babykinz53 said:

There are many reasons, but a fun one is that I am the baby sister, yet I've always been the fattest.  Now I am on my way to be the smallest, cant wait till next time we all get together and I can look at the photos and smile instead on cringe.

I'm the youngest, by far tallest, and was always the largest of my sisters as well.  One of my sisters has a lapband and a habit of passing down horrible old clothes that no longer fit her, or they fit her but she'll never wear again, which I usually just put straight into a donation box. She happened to  visit me yesterday and gushed over a top I was wearing. I told her I really liked it as well, which was why I was wearing it. The subject of my weight came up at one point and she was shocked to find I was only 3kgs heavier than her given I'm so much taller. After a few more comments about the top, I went into the spare room and pulled a similar top (a size larger) out of my donation bag and gave it to her. She was horrified that I was now smaller than her......and I'm still pre-surgery. Guaranteed her renewed post-op diet will start today!

I'm glad I've gotten to this point pre-op, because it will help to counter some of the criticism I know I'll get post-op. It may even act as a sort of camouflage when I do go for surgery.

3 hours ago, Aussie H said:

I'm glad I've gotten to this point pre-op, because it will help to counter some of the criticism I know I'll get post-op. It may even act as a sort of camouflage when I do go for surgery.

First of all, congratulations on your pre-op success! Second of all, who cares about their criticism? Fa-git about it (insert New York italian accent here), who cares? This is your body, your life, and you needn't ask permission or apologize for your choice. Too many cooks in the kitchen, I say. No need to camouflage anything. Walk tall and enjoy your life.

59 minutes ago, ShrinkingViolet2 said:

First of all, congratulations on your pre-op success! Second of all, who cares about their criticism? Fa-git about it (insert New York italian accent here), who cares? This is your body, your life, and you needn't ask permission or apologize for your choice. Too many cooks in the kitchen, I say. No need to camouflage anything. Walk tall and enjoy your life.

I've been here before as this is repair surgery. I know my family, and I know how critical others can get of you after WLS.  I do care what others say about me, either to my face or behind my back. I know it hurts me because I've been there before. At least if they have the front to say it to my face (or within earshot) I can tell them how stupid and judgemental they are. When it's behind your back its a bit harder to counter the damage toxic people can do.

Im being pretty upfront now that I'm having surgery to repair previous surgical scarring, but not everyone is being told that involves having a bypass. I'll tell them that after the surgery that bypass was the only option the surgeon had once I was on the table. It is the truth, I just know beforehand.

@Aussie, It sounds like you're a sensitive soul,  and that is wonderful. Believe it or not, I'm quite sensitive too. On the other hand, it's very important not to let  anyone steal your joy. It gives people too much undeserved control over your emotions and your happiness. If the criticism is healthy, that's one thing. Positive criticism is beneficial and should be assessed. If it's not, then it only causes emotional destruction if you allow it.

Before surgery, there were a few people who said unkind and untrue things about me behind my back, which I found out about. These comments were unrelated to my surgery because I never told them (circles of trust). Those words didn't feel great, but I knew they were untrue. Anyway, fast forward a few months and I've run into these naysayers many times. Those who pigeon-holed me, who tried to demean me among others? They see that I'm truly happy, healthy, and thriving. I never gave them control over my feelings. Not one of them has a negative thing to say now.

Maybe it's easier for me because they weren't family. All my close family were supportive. Regardless, trust yourself to handle what comes. Trust yourself with your decision and give yourself the gift of peace. No matter what others think/say.